Technical A few Problems

Currently reading:
Technical A few Problems

Jonna83

Established member
Essex/Southampton/Norwich, United Kingdom.
Firstly my Gearbox on my Spoting feels very Knotchy and its sometimes hard to change from 1st to 2nd gear feels as if its stuck [:(!] Is this a sign of a knackerd Gearbox or would a simple oil change sort it?(I kno its almost due 1 done nearly 70k Hans say change at 72k).
Next when im driving along I seem 2 get quite aloud knocking noise from the back I presume this has something 2 do with the suspension.
Lastly I wipe the oil off the front of the engine and it slowly comes back. Wud i b rite in saying that the rocker cover Gasket needs changing?
Rite i kno its quite a bit im asking(no doubt they'll b more)but ill appreciate any feedback thx.:D

Hi,
For the gears problem, you might benefit from having the clutch adjusted,the pedal should sit just above the height of the brake as a rough guide.
The clonking from the rear is probably a shock absorber or a rear arm bush, Fiat will tell you that you have to buy a rear arm if the bushes are shot but uprated bushes are available separately from Powerflex.
The oil, yup!! They all do it. Can be fixed with a new gasket and plenty of gasket goo.
Be happy that you own one of the most enjoyable cars around though, despite the little niggles!!

Pete.
Cinq sporting 1242cc
http://mysite.freeserve.com/close_to_cracking_up/

HI again Yup i got a New gasket from Fiat at a price of £4.15 i jus gotta find some time 2 fit it. Im gonna get Fiat 2 take a look at the gearbox when it goes in 4 a timeing belt change at a price of £180 ;) and I've decided 2 ignor the suspension till i can afford 2 get it lowerd then ill get a complete kit [8D] and yes i am Happy with it it is alot of fun 2 drive especially with my new bigger wheels and has had virtually no problems jus i got some money now 2 sort these few out:D. Jus another prob i forgot 2 put down when im accelerating in 3rd or 4th gear it sometimes sesms 2 have a flat spot between 3000-4000 rpm more so from when it driven cold any ideas?

yeh my 899 gets ti 40 dead fast in 2nd then i change to 3rd and it hits a flat spot too

Whitterz.jpg

£180 for a cambelt? Did he have a black stripey jumper on and a bag with SWAG written on it?

The belts are about a tenner and take an hour or so to change, or have you been quoted for the full service including cambelt?

The flat spot is a function of the design of the air intake/breather system and Fiat's fuel map. If you fit a panel filter it helps, and an induction kit helps even more (make sure you duct cold air up to it or it will be slower than standard mind...). Chipping is worthwile, but get it done as the LAST engine mod, to make sure it's optimised with your mods.

Pete.
Cinq sporting 1242cc
http://mysite.freeserve.com/close_to_cracking_up/

I already got a K&N on it and it still does it and yes i do have cold air ducting up 2 it. The bloke made an estimate 4 2 hours labour and because my car has a pretty high milage they change everything 2 do with the timing belt, idiler etc and set it up properly, im also gonna get them 2 do a transmision fluid change (nearly due) and adjust the clutch. I wanna give it 2 them bcos i jus wanna get it done properly adn there r alot of dodgy garages around here ;) plus its near my collage so i can drop it in and go 2 collage then pick it up afterwards.

Back