Technical A bit less common turn signal problem

Currently reading:
Technical A bit less common turn signal problem

Miso

Hi all,

my first post here, it's a great forum. i didn't want to create another indicator problem thread, but i just can't find my specific case..
--

One morning NONE of my turn signals worked, while relay CLICKING RAPIDLY.

I checked the fuse - OK, checked 5 of 6 bulbs (i still have to open stuck hard-to-get-into front left) as well as their sockets, no corrosion, no bad bulbs. but when suddenly none of them work, it shouldn't be bulbs.

No turn signals + rapid clicking also then hazard switch pressed.

All other lights work well.

Amber bulb sign showed up and disappeared several times in the past, with no effect on any car lights / indicators. now when bulb sign is off, it shows up when signaling is switched on. this is also strange - that sign should be associated only with rear light cluster excluding turn signals, iirc.

Car has no separate relay, it's on a 'motherboard' controller. Rapid clicking is a sign of life, but not a complete one, one half of it can still be faulty, if i understand it right.

So far to me it looks like grounding issue or faulty contact. If there is a short to ground, it would blow fuses. Rapid clicking occurs when the draw is less then nominal, so it should be a bad earth, right? What would be the rational succession of checking this, considering all described above ?

Thanks so much everyone who reads this puzzle.

All the best,
Mike

Hi all,

my first post here, it's a great forum. i didn't want to create another indicator problem thread, but i just can't find my specific case..
--

One morning NONE of my turn signals worked, while relay CLICKING RAPIDLY.

I checked the fuse - OK, checked 5 of 6 bulbs (i still have to open stuck hard-to-get-into front left) as well as their sockets, no corrosion, no bad bulbs. but when suddenly none of them work, it shouldn't be bulbs.

No turn signals + rapid clicking also then hazard switch pressed.

All other lights work well.

Amber bulb sign showed up and disappeared several times in the past, with no effect on any car lights / indicators. now when bulb sign is off, it shows up when signaling is switched on. this is also strange - that sign should be associated only with rear light cluster excluding turn signals, iirc.

Car has no separate relay, it's on a 'motherboard' controller. Rapid clicking is a sign of life, but not a complete one, one half of it can still be faulty, if i understand it right.

So far to me it looks like grounding issue or faulty contact. If there is a short to ground, it would blow fuses. Rapid clicking occurs when the draw is less then nominal, so it should be a bad earth, right? What would be the rational succession of checking this, considering all described above ?

Thanks so much everyone who reads this puzzle.

All the best,
Mike

sounds to me like a problem with the relay or the body computer board it is fixed to. If you get an identical body computer you can change over the EEPROM and you will have a solution that does not involved changing over engine ECU and body computer and swapping the small glass transponder chip in the keys.

thanks, i'll save your info, so far i've ordered the on-board relay Cf2-12v-h15 from Ali, saw one guy on Youtube replacing it, so i'll try that first i guess. next stage would be sourcing that body comp.

i hoped it would be something simpler )

thanks, i'll save your info, so far i've ordered the on-board relay Cf2-12v-h15 from Ali, saw one guy on Youtube replacing it, so i'll try that first i guess. next stage would be sourcing that body comp.

i hoped it would be something simpler )
Hey , did changing the relay work.

I have a similar problem (only with the left turn signal) but its intermittent. Some times it works fine ,stops for a bit, the relay clicks rapidly and the warning light for the lights comes on. This happens for a few seconds. Then it fixes it self and works fine for 10-15 sec until it happens again.

If this worked for you it may work for me also.
Thank you for your time
(PS Photos of the process would be very much appreciated)

Hey , did changing the relay work.

I have a similar problem (only with the left turn signal) but its intermittent. Some times it works fine ,stops for a bit, the relay clicks rapidly and the warning light for the lights comes on. This happens for a few seconds. Then it fixes it self and works fine for 10-15 sec until it happens again.

If this worked for you it may work for me also.
Thank you for your time
(PS Photos of the process would be very much appreciated)
Hi :)

That sounds like a fault to that light unit..
:(

Same with Hazards AND indicators ?

Usually just an Earth issue
Edited to expand, my MK2 sporting used to do it on a regular basis, about two or three times a year, and sometimes the horn wouldn’t work either!

First to look at are the plugs of the rear lamps. The earth contact in the plug corrodes or burns out quite often as it is underdimensioned. If lights, brake lights und fog/reverse lights are on all current goes to earth via one contact that's not bigger than the other ones.

Back