95 quid for a parking penalty???

Currently reading:
95 quid for a parking penalty???

Steely

Dislikeskeyboardwarriors
Right got this through the door this mornin, not impressed, got issued with a fine about overstaying my 3 hours at meadowhall retail park, granted this was at 10-30pm and no other car was even in the car park!! and i didnt even leave the car!!

going to appeal it 100% there is no justification that i was a hinderance to stopping other shoppers from parking as the retail park was shut!!

and im sure there are operating hours... off there a bit later to get pics of the car park at 10-30pm to show how empty it is,

stupid IMHO.. how the hell can parking up from 10-30 till-3 in the mornin be worth charging me for??

have a look for yourselves

Last edited:
i'd edit ur address out of it.

iirc unless the car park is council run then they cannot enforce the ticket.

http://www.theanswerbank.co.uk/Motoring/Road-rules/Question333319.html

"On private property that isn't controlled by a local authority, they cannot legally issue any kind of fine or penalty for a parking offence.

The so-called 'fine' they give you is actually a payment they ask for in return for not taking you to court for either civil trespass, in cases where parking is free and signs are displayed stating the time limit, or for breach of contract if they issued a ticket on the way in. Unfortunately, most people don't know the law and pay up without question.

Funny that the ticket you get on the windscreen or through the post looks a lot like a Police ticket complete with black and white checks though...

In the majority of cases where tickets aren't issued on entry and parking is free, these companies will never go to court if you refuse to pay. The reason is that the courts will almost always reject the company's argument that, by parking on the property you were accepting the terms displayed on the sign. This is considered a 'passive' contract and the courts usually throw them out.

Ticketed parking is more tricky legally because it's easier to argue that you actively accepted the terms of the contract. The companies still rarely pursue the non payers to court because it's too expensive to chase after the few that won't pay when most people can be scared into paying up for the price of a first class stamp.

If you get one of these - write to the Managing Director and ask him on what legal basis they feel that they can issue the penalty? Nothing frightens them more than a punter who knows the law!

I used to fight these all the time for people in my previous job and after 100's of threats I never had one go to court."

Just a modern da yequivalent of clamping

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=16670&st=120&start=120

Last edited:
95 quid ouch :bang:eek:uch:bang: and you need your timming belt doing..

only god knows....realy is taking the pi**

it's merely an invoice, and seeing as though there was no ticket system.. to say you entered into a contract with them is flaky to say the least. write to their MD and tell him to stick it!

I have to put a disclaimer as this is a public forum:
This does not constitute legal advice and is not represented as a substitute for legal advice from an appropriately qualified person or firm

DO NOT PAY

I'm currently taking CHP ASSOCIATES to court over a ticket I recieved on my car. - I'm a law student so it makes for good pactice.

I'm more than willing to give you as much advice as you need with regards to this CIVIL parking ticket. You are under no obligation to pay, I reccomend writing back to them with the following:

Dear Sirs,

Re: Your letter dated [dd/mmmm/yyyy] Reference[#]

I acknowledge receipt of your captioned letter. It seems that you have got my details from the DVLA and I confirm I am the keeper of the vehicle in question. You need to take this matter up with the driver concerned.

In the meantime I absolutely deny your claim that the amount claimed, or any amount at all, is due to you from me.

Yours faithfully

Just so you are aware, it is the driver who enters into an agreement with company not the registered keeper, you are under no obligation to tell them who was driving. This CIVIL ticket is not backed by the courts as it is seen as a penalty not damages.

I'm going for my Tea but will finish this when I get back - DO NOT PAY

Tom

Last edited:
cant believe that theyve charged you for that! what if you went to watch a long film and you couldnt park in the proper car park around the corner!

Last edited:
Cheer peeps. been doing a search and brings up so many scams... god how can i be so naive :bang:

plus im suprised metro sheff police or council dont have the means of issuing fines, why the hell would a company in bucks be managing it!

Last edited:
yeah i know tell me bout it! fiat care hopefully... :( get it dropped on its arse to, next week off, so the money meant to be on the fine will be hopefully on the springs!
sound good i got my grill on..

I have to put a disclaimer as this is a public forum:
This does not constitute legal advice and is not represented as a substitute for legal advice from an appropriately qualified person or firm

Right, as I was saying...

Firstly the important thing to remember is that Private Parking Companies are not backed by any aspect of criminal law. Tickets from Traffic Wardens working for the police or local authorities or tickets issued by police officers are. There are provisions for them in the Road Traffic Act 1991 and these provisions allow sanctions that the issuing authority can take.

THIS IS NOT THE CASE FOR PRIVATE PARKING COMPANIES.

After sending that letter off, in an ideal world that would be the end of it, however this is extremely unlikely and you will probably recieve a letter sent by 2nd class. (Did the fine you recieve come 2nd class? - this is the scammers trademark usually).

The second lette you recieve will probably be along the lines of:

"Denial of appeal: In view of you correspondance we will allow a period of NOT LONGER than 14 DAYS from the date of this letter to make the lesser payment of £50.00. If payment is not recieved within this time period your case file will be passed to our Debt Recovery Management Unit. The registered keeper of the vehicle will then be liable under law for all monies outstanding + associated recovery costs. The decision of the adjudicator is final. No further correspondance will be entered into in relation to this case."

This is utter bull****. As the registered keeper you are under no obligation to pay. They use this line in order to decieve you, If the ticket was from a Local Council Authority or the Police then the registered keeper is responsible for payment, but this is because LCA and the Police are backed by legislation as laid down in the Road Traffic Act.

Even if they do send bailiffs around, all you need to say is
This supposed debt is currently in dispute, please refer it back to your employer - any further correspondence from you or any other party in relation to this matter will result in a complaint to the authorities under the Protection From Harassment Act 1997

You could write to them along the following lines:
Dear Sirs,

Re: Your letter dated [dd/mmmm/yyyy] Reference[#]

This alleged debt is in dispute. I have written to your principal on a number of occasions and they have failed to substantiate their claim.

In the circumstances please refer this matter back to your client.

Any further correspondence from you in relation to this matter may result in a complaint to the authorities under the Protection From Harassment Act 1997.

Yours faithfully

They cannot lawful demand payment, clamp your vehicle, or remove property without a CCJ - You'd know if they had one against you as you would have been summoned.

If you admit you were the driver, then there has to be more than adequate signage telling you that you arfe entering into a contract (These contracts are often themselves unlawful - I'd need pics to verify this for you). However as you entered and left the carpark in the dark, it is fair to say you would not have seen these contractualt signs unless they were illuminated by their own lamp - like a road sign.

You will find that if they threaten you as the registered keeper like your ticket suggests, they are in direct contravention of s.40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970

The Administration of Justice Act 1970.
Section 40 of the act provides that a person commits an offence if, with the object of coercing another person to pay money claimed from the other as a debt due under contract, he or she:
(a) harasses the other with demands for payment which by their frequency, or the manner or occasion of their making, or any accompanying threat or publicity are calculated to subject him or his family or household to alarm, distress or humiliation;
(b) falsely represents, in relation to the money claimed, that criminal proceedings lie for failure to pay it;
(c) falsely represent themselves to be authorised in some official capacity to claim or enforce payment;
(d) utters a document falsely represented by him to have some official character or purporting to have some official character which he knows it has not.
Paragraph (a) above does not apply to anything done by a person which is reasonable (and otherwise legal) for the purpose of :
(1) of securing the discharge of an obligation due, or believed by him to be due, to himself or to persons for whom he acts, or protecting himself or them from future loss; or
(2) of the enforcement of any liability by legal process.
It is also provided that a person may be guilty of an offence under paragraph (a) above if he concerts with others in the taking of such action as is described in that paragraph, notwithstanding that his own course of conduct does not by itself amount to harassment.

Thus if you receive one of these invoices and it appears to purport to be a PCN or FPN then I strongly suggest that you report the incident to the police. The police are duty bound to investigate and act.

I did and Chp are now under investigation. They are also being investigated for Fraud. (s2 of the Fraud Act 2006 - Obtaining property by deception)

Please let me know if you recieve any further "threats" from this company, as I said I'm more than willing to help.

There's loads and loads of information I can't remember right now, but this should suffice for the first and partially the second letter.

Tom

I'd say that, but if you lie, and it then somehow gets to court, that will be held against you.

NOT RECCOMEDING, but:

You could "suggest" that your numberplate had been stolen a few months ago and your car has been rung. Therefore you couldn't be the driver, or the registered keeper.

However I strongly suggest you go with one of my above posts.

Tom

bloody hell.. i just realised i got one of these last year when i parked in a uni car park that was for staff only for like 20 minutes when i was moving out of halls, needed car close to halls to get me crap in! was either that or double yellows :eek:
clicked cos letter looked exactly the same... my dad just paid it no questions asked :doh:

Attachments

• 01042008742.jpg
    01042008742.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 51
This is all very interesting but what were you doing there for 3 hours and not leaving the car ehh? Nudge nudge wink wink.

Back