Technical 82 degree thermostat, keeps the car cooler!

Currently reading:
Technical 82 degree thermostat, keeps the car cooler!

a 82 degree will not keep the car cooler, its just an valve that opens when the engine gets hot and stay open when the engine is running. than it closes when the car cools down after the engine has stoped. so inturn it does not keep the car cooler. inorder for the engine to work to its full performance, it needs to warm up fast. (a cold engine = a crap performance) and (a hot engine = alot better performance)
thanks, fiatseicentoexpert, (mechanic from plymouth.):idea:

I think most of us understand the operation of the thermostat, but in positioning the thermostat lower than the top of the engine, and with heat rising, a thermostat that opens at 90 plus degrees means that the top of the engine is somewhat warmer.

The 82 degrees is still pretty hot but gives a greater headroom for error.

Running a car without a thermostat is the really silly bit.

Cheers

D

fiatseicentoexpert said:
a 82 degree will not keep the car cooler, its just an valve that opens when the engine gets hot and stay open when the engine is running. than it closes when the car cools down after the engine has stoped. so inturn it does not keep the car cooler. inorder for the engine to work to its full performance, it needs to warm up fast. (a cold engine = a crap performance) and (a hot engine = alot better performance)
thanks, fiatseicentoexpert, (mechanic from plymouth.):idea:

And for your next trick, teach to suck eggs?

My 94 Cinq runs at between 60 and 70 degrees once warmed up - I read all the treads about them running 90 ish - Is there anything for me to be worrying about ? Or is running at 60 - 70 better ?

Its only a gauge you have, not an instrument. As long as the car remains at around that temp, not going colder when moving, or going too much higher when idling on ahot day, there should be nothing to worry about.

Cheers

D

i'm mildly concerned about the temperatre mine runs at. imo it's too cool. around 70 on the gauge, which i know isn't too accurate - but once i have it all setup again properly i'll keep checking the readout from the coolant temp sensor and then adapting the system to make sure it runs where it should be.

yer, everything else is warm - i just want to know what the actual coolant temperature is because i know the ECU uses 70c as value 'safe' value for calculating if the CTS fails.

I believe they are all the same thread. If not sure, first try to tap an useless metal plate and check if sensor fits ok.

Sensor's threads are conical, so they are self tapping. No need for sealant, at least i didn't use any.

ycming said:
a quick question,

Can i buy the stat that fit the cinq , and buy the 82 degree stat one and exchange the core ?? then put it in the car??

Or i am talking complete bull **** ><?

This is where we came in: that's exactly what Aaron did and it's very well covered at the start of the thread. :eek:

But if you can find the Motorad one, use it: it'll (probably) be cheaper and of better quality.

Last edited:
hmm from what i read, is they take the orginial one out from the car, then remove the core of an 82 degree stat and put it in the original one .... i guess both way it will work ? and what is a motorad one ?

Motorad's thermo is a complete set, including the shell, as seen in Jimaros photos. You don't need to exchange the cores or anything else, just unbolt the old one and bolt the new in it's place.

Back