Technical 82 degree thermostat, keeps the car cooler!

Currently reading:
Technical 82 degree thermostat, keeps the car cooler!

just like to the confirm the 899cc stat opens at 87 degree , and you cannot modify it at all , since is a one whole piece thingy, where the stat is build inside the housing.

:), IF you are not getting heating in ur 899 , best to change it :)

And they cost around £10, that's the full housing kit.

thanks everyone :)

No such part number, been to my factors today who got on the phone to Motorad who said that doesnt exist

Only quoting Asteris earlier in the thread where he sayeth:

OK guys, end of story for the thermostat transplant:

Ready made 82 degrees thermostat for the FIRE series from company Motorad (the one that introduced the failsafe/stuck-open-when-overheated thermo...). Code is MR-284-82.

This is the whole thermo system, not only the internal parts which we transplant.

There is also the classic 284-88 variation and a 284-71 one, which probably is mented for the Sahara desert...
_____
Could it be that the Greek division of Motorad has parts (and hence part numbers) that the UK division has not? Wouldn't surprise me at all! :D

No such part number, been to my factors today who got on the phone to Motorad who said that doesnt exist

Yep my motor place also couldn't find this. Bought the Halfords one, used the Punto spring, ground a bit of the rod and from the 'disc' works good , for a Punto that is:)

The thermostat exists, my mechanic has a catalog from Motorad that includes them (along with MR-284-88 and MR-284-71), i'll try to get a photo tomorrow to show you. Perhaps your national Motorad importer thinks 82 and 71 degrees are useless for your colder climate and does not import them.

I will ask if i can get some thermostats from here and ship them to one of you. Let me get back on this tomorrow...

The thermostat exists, my mechanic has a catalog from Motorad that includes them (along with MR-284-88 and MR-284-71), i'll try to get a photo tomorrow to show you. Perhaps your national Motorad importer thinks 82 and 71 degrees are useless for your colder climate and does not import them.

I will ask if i can get some thermostats from here and ship them to one of you. Let me get back on this tomorrow...

Any news on this, as I shall be needing a thermostat for the cylinder head, and might as well have one of these to help the alloy rad out during a good summers day thrash :)

Thought I would add to this seeing as some folk still do not believe/understand that lower temp thermostats are common practice for cars when upping the power.

Now that I have my Ignis after browsing the Suzuki Sports catalogue I came across a low temp thermostat and a hi pressure rad cap, both items that are used in cars producing more power which in turn produces more heat to control the extra heat. Even Suzuki offer them for sale an actual car manufacturer so its not just some aftermarket bodge :D

The high pressure cap is to raise boiling point, something which Fiat themselves did on the Sei MPi as it diff design expansion tank which has a blue rad cap with 1.3bar on it IIRC cos I fitted one to my old Cinq. Cinq has I think 0.9bar.

Just as an add on about thermostats.When I raced Ritmos here in Ireland ,back in the early 90's,most of the lads were running without thermostats.They just took them out of the housing and ran without them.But most suffered some sort of overheating problems.Ok these engines were touching on 9000rpm from time to time and were being raced but I think most people dont think about the working of these stats.First they are closed to allow the engine to warm up then open to allow for the engine to cool properly[we all know this]But they are also as a restriction to flow.Think about it this way,water speeding past your hot cylinders etc will not carry away much heat,but cause a restriction,slow down the flow and you allow the water to absorb all the unwanted heat and carry it to the rad.Here's the best bit I raced with a standard stat that had failed in the fully open position and never overheated.So you could try to just lock the stat open.here's another tip from racing if you find your car getting hot,knock on the heater to the hot setting your engine temp will drop 5 to 10 degrees.

Thermostats are in my hands. Might be able to ship tomorrow.

Motorad82.jpg

Just as an add on about thermostats.When I raced Ritmos here in Ireland ,back in the early 90's,most of the lads were running without thermostats.They just took them out of the housing and ran without them.But most suffered some sort of overheating problems.Ok these engines were touching on 9000rpm from time to time and were being raced but I think most people dont think about the working of these stats.First they are closed to allow the engine to warm up then open to allow for the engine to cool properly[we all know this]But they are also as a restriction to flow.Think about it this way,water speeding past your hot cylinders etc will not carry away much heat,but cause a restriction,slow down the flow and you allow the water to absorb all the unwanted heat and carry it to the rad.Here's the best bit I raced with a standard stat that had failed in the fully open position and never overheated.So you could try to just lock the stat open.here's another tip from racing if you find your car getting hot,knock on the heater to the hot setting your engine temp will drop 5 to 10 degrees.

Yeah. The other way to do it (for cars run only on racetracks!) is to put a plate across the thermostat housing and drill a hole (or two) in it. You might well find that you need different holes for different circuits (or ambient temperatures). But I'd not suggest that for a road car -- there are just too many variables.

Back