Technical 82 degree thermostat, keeps the car cooler!

Currently reading:
Technical 82 degree thermostat, keeps the car cooler!

jamie86 said:
Alex I always had it running those kindda temps and did have my concered tbh...

But has been bled loads of time the next stage was going to be that wetter water and the 'stat

yea man i wasnt too concerned anyway. just makin sure lol as my 1108 ran at 75 degrees all day long! :D

that stat will be goin in as soon as i get the chance, then water wetter and maybe an oil cooler if i can figure out how to wire the oil temp gauge in lol

custard boy said:
my N/A 1108 cinq sits just under 90 usually.hoping to get a lower temp for the turbo sorted soon though :)

my turbo runs about 75 when on the move (big meshed bumper, might actually keep it :p)

but when standing still it goes to about 95 before fan kicks in and just under 100 before it starts coming down again, need to get this oil cooler pronto! :eek:

The 1242 will run slightly hotter than an 1108, yep. An abarth front will also make it run hotter, as it obstructs air flow to the radiator (that's why I'm running with no foglights in).

Splash out on an oil temp gauge and see what's happening, or you could fit a cooler stat if you wanted to try that - it's a bit easier to do anyway.

Oil cooler I'd say was only really needed if you have a turbo, or on a n/asp if you cane it a lot, do lots of very high speed m'way driving, or track days. I never saw the oil over 100'c in the silver one until I went around Castle Combe.

fixitagaintomorrow said:
The 1242 will run slightly hotter than an 1108, yep. An abarth front will also make it run hotter, as it obstructs air flow to the radiator (that's why I'm running with no foglights in).

Splash out on an oil temp gauge and see what's happening, or you could fit a cooler stat if you wanted to try that - it's a bit easier to do anyway.

Oil cooler I'd say was only really needed if you have a turbo, or on a n/asp if you cane it a lot, do lots of very high speed m'way driving, or track days. I never saw the oil over 100'c in the silver one until I went around Castle Combe.

u think no fogs is the way to go with the abarth front then? does that make a difference? might have to do a bit of customising then.... maybe

was thinking about gettin a louvred bonnet done for the red one as well, really liked that and i seriously think it did help!!! will have a think and c if i can afford it at the moment!

i got an oil temp gauge sittin in a box (thanks J! :D ) but got no earthly idea how to wire it up.... any help pete? :eek:

fixitagaintomorrow said:
The sender is screwed into the end of the big bolt that holds the oil pressure switch in - I just drilled and tapped the end.

If you're doing it, best get a spare bolt to try it on first - they're only a few quid.

From a previous PM

Can someone ask Halfords which cars the HTK602 fits to ?
We don't have a Halfords here in Greece. Thanks.

The donor thermostat is from a 1990 1.0 litre Ford Fiesta.

You need to boil the reassembled item up in a pan with a thermometer to make sure it opens at the right temperature, too - each one I have done has been different and needed adjustment - either by shortening the pushrod or dropping a small spacer in the pushrod hole.

It's worth doing the Punto GT/turbodiesel fan switch as well, just fitted one to mine. Goes on at 87'c off at 82'c, instead of 92'c and 87'c. Use the white and green terminals below:

3-picture2.jpg

Helps stop the oil temp rising too high as well, with water and oil one seems to affect the other. You will need the plug from a GT /TD too, as the cinq one won't plug straight in obviously. I happen to have a couple spare... :)

Well, I finally got round to fitting my thermo. I am well pleased with it, the temp does not go as high now (stays around 70-75). It does rises in traffic, bu the cooling system seems to be running much better.

David

I don't know if somebody said this before but you can use a Ritmo 75 thermoswitch for the fan to lower the engine temp. The collingfan goes on quicker. And it's a straight fit.

Fiat Ritmo 75 I.E. 1.5

Brand: KW

83 tot 88 degrees Celcius

Type nr. 08.8035
550 102 04E

Fiat part number : 7586250

(It's also on a Vauxhall Calibra YE 2.0 I 16V )

Last edited:
OK guys, end of story for the thermostat transplant:

Ready made 82 degrees thermostat for the FIRE series from company Motorad (the one that introduced the failsafe/stuck-open-when-overheated thermo...). Code is MR-284-82.

This is the whole thermo system, not only the internal parts which we transplant.

There is also the classic 284-88 variation and a 284-71 one, which probably is mented for the Sahara desert...

Thermostat was fitted yesterday and 25% coolant-75% deionized water was filled. It's working right on spot, temp gauge stayed at 82-83 degrees during trip, fan starts a couple mins later when stopped at traffic. (y)

Full metallic piston too, opposed to the fiat original with the rubbered ring, which caused a lot overheating to cars at the past (ruuber made the piston to stuck and stay closed).

Back