Technical 82 degree thermostat, keeps the car cooler!

Currently reading:
Technical 82 degree thermostat, keeps the car cooler!

Thermostats are in my hands. Might be able to ship tomorrow.

Motorad82.jpg

Anybody know if this item will fit into the Sei MPi?

Anybody know if this item will fit into the Sei MPi?

Yep. But you may have to go to Greece, Italy, Spain or Portugal to get one. Otherwise, see the begining of the thread and follow the instructions to make one.

Note that they're not intended as a cure for overheating, simply a way to lower the temperature in tweaked, but otherwise healthy, engines.

Yep. But you may have to go to Greece, Italy, Spain or Portugal to get one. Otherwise, see the begining of the thread and follow the instructions to make one.

Note that they're not intended as a cure for overheating, simply a way to lower the temperature in tweaked, but otherwise healthy, engines.

Yep, I inderstand that - was thinking of using one to tap for a coolant gauge rather than using the original on vehicle.

So is it a positive or negative idea to fit this item on a near stock Sei that is driven hard but only has minor mods like induction & upgraded sparks?

Would I be right in thinking it will mean that the coolant flows through the radiator when released slightly earlier & therefore takes a little more time to reach normal operating temp, but be better at holding down temperatures during times when the car gets hot rapidly?

I suppose one plus (sort of) to fitting the coollant temp' gauge after the thermostat is that I will be reminded not to rev the car too much until I see a temp' reading!?!

Great thread. My 84 1300 Uno had a hopeless heater, I figured that was just the way it was. The temp needle never ever got anywhere near 90, I figured it was a dodgy gauge until the other day when I left it idling for ages and the temp went up to 90. BUT, when I went down the road the temp dropped like a stone.

Sadly the housing with the inbuilt thermostat is not like the one in the picture above. My housing is like the housing in the Haynes manual with three inlet/outlet pipe connections. going to be interesting to see if I can modify that one. I will try for a new one first, but I think I can modify the original one with the help of a lathe to cut out the plate where the thermostat was inserted.

I have two thermostats both from a cinq sporting. One of them has holes in it and has FIAT printed on it. Wich one should i use? The one With or withOut the holes?

Attachments

• P1020340.JPG
    P1020340.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 76
  • P1020341.JPG
    P1020341.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 52
But the one with the holes lets water trough even when its cold...en the left one on the pic only when its hot? Or am i mistaking?

they are very very very very hole!

Ming
Not very nice to make fun of people who do their best to speak english...;)

Having said that....There must be a difference between the two because the left one doesent leave any cold water thrue and the right one does leave cold water true...so i am wondering wich one is best for use in an north european country...

Yeah. The other way to do it (for cars run only on racetracks!) is to put a plate across the thermostat housing and drill a hole (or two) in it. You might well find that you need different holes for different circuits (or ambient temperatures). But I'd not suggest that for a road car -- there are just too many variables.

I can recall a part for BMC A series engines that you used in place of a thermostat if you removed the stat to keep the flow more normal.

Never saw one though.

Noel

Back