69bhp FIRE - Condensation worry

Currently reading:
69bhp FIRE - Condensation worry

My 100HP Panda has the ball shape radiator expansion tank. The vent pipe was clipped too short between the last bracket (on back of engine) and the tank spigot. The spigot cracked and I had quite a time finding why my coolant level was dropping.

You can get infrared thermometers for minimal cost. Use that to measure the cylinder head temperature and radiator top temperature after a typical daily drive. This should diagnose if you have a failing thermostat.

This won't be wonderfully accurate but you can check its calibration it with a boiling kettle (metal).

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Basic update :

Checked the levels today

Oil dropped ..again :-(

Oil filler cap 'Clean'.. :)

Coolant.. needs to be less light out :rolleyes:

Im a bit disappointed with oil consumption.. only @5% of my FIATs have been 'burners'

But its a tolerable thing... its due a service anyway.. .. but the place I had in mind for the '5 year overhaul' Seem to be in trouble...

Some Fiats I've had have had quite high "official" / "accepted" oil consumption figures:

Tempra 1.8ie: 608 miles per litre of oil (based on 90g/100km & 880g/l)
Tipo 1.6ie: 1094 miles per litre of oil (based on 50g/100km & 880g/l)

The Tempra ran between 25% and 37% of spec. (1991)
The Tipo ran between 50% and 66% of spec. (1993)

Figures varied with different makes & grades of oil as well.

Both the Tipo and Tempra were new in the Unleaded Fuel use and there was speculation that Fiat deliberately allowed a higher oil usage use to help with valve erosion due to the lack of lead in the fuel.

Back