General 500x Sellers advice

Currently reading:
General 500x Sellers advice

cowabunga

Hi

As there is a buyers advice thread I thought I'd start a sellers thread. I'd just like some advice if possible.

I've seen a new car I like and am very seriously considering selling our beloved 500x, in fact so beloved I am finding it very hard to talk my missus and 10yr old into the idea.

When I bought I specifically didnt want a cross plus, which at the time was £1,500 more expensive than the cross version we have because after dving one the ride is ruined on the 18 inch wheels. Instead we got a cross (17 inch wheels) with comfort pack (electric lumber, keyless, centre console), safety pack (blind spot assist, lane keep, emergency braking), and spare wheel. In total those options were around £1,450 I think. I think its a well specced car.

It's the 2.0l AT9 4*4, 66 reg in red. 18,500 miles. Serviced every December since 2018 at Stoneacre. We're both finance professionals and the type to look after things so condition is generally excellent apart from smallish kerb marks on 2 wheels and the odd very minor chip from flying grit, etc, and 2 small carpark car door chips to the paintwork. Like many 500x's it had it's early gremlins but all sorted under warranty.

The miles have generally been complete on long trips up north etc, maybe town driving 10%, the rest at speed on A roads and motorways. We live zone 2 london and either walk or get public transport almost all the time, the car might not move for 2-3 wks at a time. I've never had the DPF light come on. I'd have to consult the service book but I think the brakes are hardly worn and I think the original tyres are at around 4mm tread.

For the age it's probably about as good as they come. I take it for a wash every month and back in April I did think how nice it looked afterwards so took a pic, attached.

Online I see a 67 reg (black -awful colour) 67 reg cross plus with £18k miles is advertised at £14,290, another 16 reg in black with low miles is £12,299. If I up the miles a bit it seems like cars around that reg with up to 40,000 miles are circa £11,000 - £12,000. So I guess ours is worth maybe £12k-£13k or so, perhaps a bit more if a dealer was selling it on a forecourt. Now I appreciate we're at the other end of the spectrum so can't expect this price, they have their margins to consider and all that.

I just did a cursory quick quote on motorway and they came back with £8,721.....eeeeek!. Now if we did decide to sell I could progress the situation further and get the dealers bidding against each other, but we're not quite at that stage yet, and I don't know how much the quote would increase. I presume these prices are based on standard condition for the age without any appreciation of the service history.

We have never sold a car before, we owned our beloved 500 before this and sold it to a relative. What do people suggest? Go through the motorway process fully? Something else? Private sale?

Attachments

• PXL_20230520_103458427~2[34750].jpg
    PXL_20230520_103458427~2[34750].jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 116
A friend said they sold through Motorway as they were giving the best prices and least hassle, ‘we buy any car’ being the worst. He used the company as he didn’t want tyre kickers and traders.
One question though, if it’s going to sit 2-3 weeks at a time, why have a car at all? That there London has really good transport links (to the detriment of the rest of the country 😉).
Moreover, the savings you’d make on having no car means you could hire a car at will for holidays etc.

I've never sold a car privately because I'm a conscientious guy. By that I mean if I sell you my car, have detailed everything, etc. and you drive it down the road and it fails (minor or major) then I would be feeling very guilty and inclined to sort you out.

Any car I have sold (as opposed to scrap, bar one) I have used as a trade-in obtaining the best overall financial outcome I can negotiate with dealers. Of course this is not being to possibly be the best financial outcome but it will be an on the day exchange, your new joy and their used car problem.

Thanks folks. I think i'll try motorway then.

Why we own a car at all has just grown on us. Didnt own the 500 till our late 30s, then it was useless when the kid was born so we hired for 4 years till buying the 500x. Now you won't be surprised to hear i want a long distance saloon. The issue with hiring now is the markets gone after covid, there is either nothing or it's really expensive. Having a car "just in case" with the kid around is handy.

Gone are the days back in 2014 when I hired a new BMW 335d xdrive from 13th-31st Dec for £450 through thrifty.

S130 - I'm hearing you, and agree. Good point and not one i'd considered. I'd feel guilty.

Thanks folks. I think i'll try motorway then.

Why we own a car at all has just grown on us. Didnt own the 500 till our late 30s, then it was useless when the kid was born so we hired for 4 years till buying the 500x. Now you won't be surprised to hear i want a long distance saloon. The issue with hiring now is the markets gone after covid, there is either nothing or it's really expensive. Having a car "just in case" with the kid around is handy.

Gone are the days back in 2014 when I hired a new BMW 335d xdrive from 13th-31st Dec for £450 through thrifty.

S130 - I'm hearing you, and agree. Good point and not one i'd considered. I'd feel guilty.
I think, in your position, I’d use its infrequent use to buy a classic…obviously, if you’re doing long distance, it would have to be reliable

At the moment used car prices are collapsing, they were pushed up by the chip shortage and covid, but not global factories are nearly all back to normal and so the Chips to make them are back in stock and where as before you could order a new car and find you might have to wait a year or more (see the panda forum for stories of how long people have waited for their cars) now you have a lead time for a new car order in the weeks rather than months or even more than a year in some cases. This means the price of new cars is dropping rapidly as is the value of used cars.

So by all means try to get the best price you can but be aware that you might not get much more than that £8721 you were first quoted.

Many of the highly priced used cars about at the moment are still priced from a time when the dealer bought them in at a high price and refuses to make a loss on the car so just keeps them advertised at that higher price.

What car are you thinking of going for?

I would like to add to my post regarding private sales. In the old days (and probably still can) have a bill off sale with "Seen, tried, tested and approved" with a postage stamp and the purchaser's signature across the stamp. This legally locks/secures the transaction from "kick back". I've no idea if this is still the case but even it is then when "kick back" occurs you have to be firm, stand your ground, take confrontation, and .......

"Quiet and Hassle Free Life" comes to mind.

The problem is that barring family members or very close friends then selling to other private non trade purchases can come with a risk. Can also come with a financial gain! Case of "Roll The Dice". That all said many have privately sold their cars for above dealer, trade-in, ... values and have never looked back or regretted their private sale decision.

I think in the financial industry the governing term is "risk adverse".

A genuine private sale is always on a sold as seen basis. Providing the representation of the car is honest there's no recourse from the buyer.

Also echo the earlier comments about used car prices. Just because something is being advertised as £x doesn't mean it's selling at that.

If you want to have a go privately then I think eBay is about the best, but good cars sensibly priced will always sell on Marque forums too :)

I think, in your position, I’d use its infrequent use to buy a classic…obviously, if you’re doing long distance, it would have to be reliable
I'm in a ULEZ zone, so it would need to be petrol 2006 onwards, diesel 2015 onwards. Seen a Brera round us recently driving around I think it was a 2007, that type of thing would be good..... but like i say the car hire business is expensive these days so at this moment in time I don't think it works for us.

I'm in a ULEZ zone, so it would need to be petrol 2006 onwards, diesel 2015 onwards. Seen a Brera round us recently driving around I think it was a 2007, that type of thing would be good..... but like i say the car hire business is expensive these days so at this moment in time I don't think it works for us.
I thought classics were exempt?

Isn’t that a luxury hybrid or am I thinking of something else?!?

Isn’t that a luxury hybrid or am I thinking of something else?!?
Well your kinda correct. I'll tell you the story.

Introduced in 2021 as petrol and petrol phev, the former was dropped from the range in mid 2022 as no interest in the market. Just the hybrid's remain now, priced at £56k-£74k list.

I started noticing them a couple of months back on autotrader, what I found out last week is the petrol versions were part of a large deal and the customer for whatever reason didn't want them. So the lease company was stuck with them. Then I don't know what happened for the next 9 months or so.

They are all white as far as I can see but there are 2 versions of white, one is a pearl metallic....proper white, and the other is probably best described as champagne, but it can look grey depending on the light. After jumping through a few hoops I managed to get a 24hr test drive via DS last weekend.... it was the champagne colour but a hybrid. See pic below.

I loved it, real old school feel in quality and just liked the fashion over ergonomics feel. Infotainment reviews are poor but i found it ok. I like the revolving clock out of the dash, retractable door handles, solid door closing feel. Rides like a dream, double glazing, like a limo in the rear.......apart from headroom for those over 6ft. There is so much to love about it.

The version I drove was the e tense 250, which is the 225hp petrol mated to a battery developing 250hp. The issue is that weighs 1870kg and the petrol 1540kg. So you add about 11% more power, but at the same time add 21% more weight...... unnecessary. The performance stats are all but identical, 8.1 to 60 and 27.7 vs 28.2 standing kilometre.

if you look around there are some 22 reg with very low miles and priced very well from £26k+, the one I bought this morning (champagne) had 77 miles on the clock. The spec is called performance line+ which isnt really sporty, like sticking an M badge on a bmw 320 or similar. But what it has is an Alacantara interior which looks very nice.... and a few badges dotted around.

Mine will be almost identical to the car in the pic apart from a few exterior badges and slighly different wheels.

It's arriving in about a week.

Attachments

• cc541a05-de43-4c9f-8460-3da25c6a3e4e.jpg
    cc541a05-de43-4c9f-8460-3da25c6a3e4e.jpg
    346.4 KB · Views: 41
Back