General 500x Sellers advice

Currently reading:
General 500x Sellers advice

Thanks for the comments folks, and I appreciate the point of view.

Potential buyers need a bit of encouragement because like you say there is less comeback if things go wrong.

I'll speak to the missus later and think about dropping it £250 for starters.
Dropped it £250.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Personally, I’d go with Autotrader. Pay for the ad package where it stays listed until you sell it, but I wouldn’t bother with the promoted or whatever they call it add on (where Autotrader puts the ad at the top of the listings).
I’ve sold a few cars through Autotrader. Two last year and both sold within three weeks.
One thing to watch though is that when your phone rings and it’s from a prospective buyer, there is an automated message from Autotrader and then it connects you to the caller.
So as you can imagine the first couple of calls I heard the start of a recorded message and instantly thought “spam call” and put the phone down. 🤦🏼
Good luck with the sale, it looks a tidy car.

Thanks again for your comments. At some stage there will be a point when the price is right, and maybe it was a tad high. Pricing cars at £X doesn't necessarily mean they'll sell for that price. That said, the alternatives are black...... imo about the worst colour 500x you can buy....I'd take white, blue, green, that off-white colour over black any day of the week. For me my favourite was always passione red, followed by that tri coat special red on the opening edition.

Autotrader I'm not averse to. I have a gut feeling it may get it in front of more people, and as there are similar examples it will highlight it's cheaper. I'll see if anything happens in the next couple of days or so and if not I might consider it. Fleabay has only cost £20 so it's no great loss even if I just walk away.

As I've said before, and others have alluded to it may be a bad time to sell, buying cars isn't necessarily on people's radar's at this time of year and the demand for a 4*4 will hit when it gets later on in the year and there's a bit of snowfall. Also prices are apparently falling..... I haven't got a view on that but if that's the consensus I'm happy to believe it.

Personally, I’d go with Autotrader. Pay for the ad package where it stays listed until you sell it, but I wouldn’t bother with the promoted or whatever they call it add on (where Autotrader puts the ad at the top of the listings).
I’ve sold a few cars through Autotrader. Two last year and both sold within three weeks.
One thing to watch though is that when your phone rings and it’s from a prospective buyer, there is an automated message from Autotrader and then it connects you to the caller.
So as you can imagine the first couple of calls I heard the start of a recorded message and instantly thought “spam call” and put the phone down. 🤦🏼
Good luck with the sale, it looks a tidy car.
Always good to get someone’s advise that’s used AT

As well as price, some other thoughts for your consideration if you'd find them helpful? Entirely unsolicited, so appreciate that you may disagree and heap well-deserved derision upon a random bloke on t'interweb :)

You're advertising it without saying it's Ulez compliant in the banner or text - Ulez is a huge deal at the moment down your Manor (as I understand from popular television programmes that people from that there London might say), as you know, so confirmation up-front's helpful.

Buyers aren't really interested in your personal biogs at this point imho - maybe if/when you get viewings in person, or field calls, but at this stage it's about price, spec., and condition. You need to make their shortlist.

Your saying you want a new car for long journeys makes it sound like this car won't do them. Better to be silent on this and focus on the fabulous capabilities this compact yet puzzlingly spacious little car has!

Similarly, your original buying process & criteria aren't really of interest to the prospective buyers - they want to know how marvellously versatile this car is, how compliant its ride, how it's got a real turn of speed when needed, and how it's equally at home in urban and motorway scenarios (1900 rpm at Xmph means little to Mr or Mrs Average Punter). Of course it's the state of the art 9-speed auto which means that driving is effortless, the gearbox is really smooth, and it responds instantly to your requests.

By saying it's non-nav you again make a negative point in the Buyers' minds. Silence is golden, and then when asked specifically, point out that it has Waze and any other app connectivity known to mankind, as well as an integral Goblin Teasmaid (well maybe best not make stuff up, but you get my point ;) )

Similarly, saying there were problems with it, no matter how long ago in your ownership just plants that negative seed and doesn't need saying.

Extra sound deadening eh. Why? Just how noisy are these cars - you say it's better, but how much better? A really good selling point to a viewer in person to show your attention to detail - and it makes it even quieter, of course!

Similarly, rest assured that buyers will do the legwork and look at comparators - I'd be silent of the non-Plus element and simply praise the remarkable virtues of your car, underpinned as it is by 4x4 borrowed from those masters of 4wd - Jeep, so in bad weather you and your family will be zippling around when others are stranded - and of course it adds that extra edge of safety for you and your family.

I'm absolutely not trying to appear negative, but just reading from a buyer's perspective. As I buyer I want to know it's genuine, one owner for X years (from X miles), serviced on the button, MOT v clean car, packed with an astonishing level of kit (listing everything it has as standard) and on top of that it has these two highly desirable option packs, and selling at a very fair price. We'll be sorry to see her go, but we just fancy a change...

I've rather waxed lyrical on a slow afternoon where we've lost the Ashes, but I hope at least some thoughts may be helpful, and if not, at least have given an odd smile?

Heap derision here________________

Cheers, Random Bloke ☺️

Thanks Random Bloke, very helpful and I see your point. I have made most of the amendments you suggested. Thanks for taking the time to pull me up on the issues. I think I was being a bit centric focused and perhaps a little too honest, they don't need to know what I think and do.

I still think the cross over cross plus is an advantage. I remember trying one out and it rode horribly, would never have bought one. The price uplift vs cross was circa £1,500 but part of that was upgraded rims from 17" to 18"! I wouldn't have minded the xenon lights though. Hand on heart I've always believed our spec is better than the cross plus basic spec, and I think at the time of purchase the option packs added up to £1,450.

Shame about the Ashes. I wondered yesterday.....why didnt England declare on circa 500? Would have given them a fighting chance and would have heaped more pressure on the aussies knowing they had to bat for longer.

Thanks again.

I appreciated it. I am totally out of my comfort zone here, and have never sold a car before. Our last car we sold to the sister in law at a knockdown price so didn't have to go through the sale process. I suppose I could have read a tricks and tips article online though before I started.

Since the new car arrived earlier this week the 500x has taken something of a backseat. I have just dropped it again to £11,250 but get the feeling its not in front of enough people.

I'll list it on Autotrader in the next few days.

Since the new car arrived earlier this week the 500x has taken something of a backseat. I have just dropped it again to £11,250 but get the feeling its not in front of enough people.

I'll list it on Autotrader in the next few days.
I think your description is still a little overly descriptive.

Maybe better to just reduce it to the face.

One owner from new, very low mileage well looked after family car,

2.0L diesel, list the fuel economy and power. list the features 9 speed auto, cruise control climate control alloy wheels, how old the tires are and how much tread is on them. List the virtues of the car such as perfect boot for a family, big back seats for children etc, but drop all the stuff about your belief that its a better car than the cross, as all you are doing is highlighting that there is a objectively better spec model someone could be looking at.

Take your profession out, it adds nothing to the value of the car.

And I would also suggest putting a bit of HTML into your post to make the text a bit bigger and easier to read.
Use a site like this ---> https://onlinehtmleditor.dev/

you can use the Wysiwyg editor to set the description out exactly how you would in something like Microsoft word, then hit the "Edit Source Code" button at the top and you'll see a page of raw HTML which is how webpages are written. You can then copy this into the description on eBay to get something that looks more interesting to someone reading it.

Thanks again. Just dropped it another £500 to £10,750 to get the ball rolling.

Will give it 24/48 hrs and if nothing moves I'll put it on autotrader.

I just don't think it was getting the views on Ebay, 130 in a month feels far too low.

Just put it on autotrader and upped the price back to £10,990 on there and Ebay. I felt it was too cheap.

Tempted to kill the Ebay listing but will keep as it's not costing me anything.

I see that you have a little bit of relatively local competition on AutoTrader from another private seller. A bit cheaper than yours - but looks like the seller is trying to get out of the car after only a few months of ownership and only a few hundred miles. MOT centre service history and nearly 20,000 more miles.
Don't drop the price on yours! It will happen (y)

I see that you have a little bit of relatively local competition on AutoTrader from another private seller. A bit cheaper than yours - but looks like the seller is trying to get out of the car after only a few months of ownership and only a few hundred miles. MOT centre service history and nearly 20,000 more miles.
Don't drop the price on yours! It will happen (y)
I saw that. I tried a 1.4 lounge on 18 inch wheels before we got ours and dint like it. the 1.4 engine was fine but didnt like the 6 speed gearbox and the hard ride. I also liked the off road more look vs city look. it does look nice in that colour though.

Just dropped ours to £10,490 which should get the ball rolling quicker. One of the car buying sites who called me is offering just under 5 figures so I might cave in soon. Another company called last week and said they think they can sell it for £12k but then charge a 10% fee.....i was sceptical.

My regret in all this is putting it on ebay where it didnt get the coverage. Autotrader has given it a much wider audience and has resulted in a fair amount of interest.

If it's very close to 5 figures then given you will be chipped on price by a private buyer, in your position I would give it a few days and then take that up (btw, wbac often increases the offer after a few days, just to tempt you, so worth giving it that time)

Not sure you're right about eBay coverage btw* - if its not on there at the lower price, I'd give it a punt.

*Any serious buyers will look at both

Oh, and you're right to be sceptical about the cold-callers who can sell your car for you.

If it's very close to 5 figures then given you will be chipped on price by a private buyer, in your position I would give it a few days and then take that up (btw, wbac often increases the offer after a few days, just to tempt you, so worth giving it that time)

Not sure you're right about eBay coverage btw* - if its not on there at the lower price, I'd give it a punt.

*Any serious buyers will look at both

Oh, and you're right to be sceptical about the cold-callers who can sell your car for you.
Yeah, that where I am. I haven't tried WBAC at all, its another similar thing though who called me out of the blue some weeks ago. I can still go back to them.

Ebay just didnt seem to get the views, I got about a similar volume in a 4 days on autotrader vs what I had in a month on Ebay. The Ebay listing expired and had 3 watchers at the time but I didn't continue it.

The cold calling just felt a bit wrong, I fobbed them off a bit and it sounded like they could hold it, then chip away at price.

That's exactly it. They will say they couldn't achieve £x but would you accept the lower sale price. And their cut remains at x%, of course!

Do do a scan of all the several 'webuyanyoldcar' sites when/if the time comes as there's often quite a big variation between the offers as they have different propositions. Your car will be attractive to the more premium trade, so somewhere like (iirc) Motorway where dealers bid for your car might be best.

That's exactly it. They will say they couldn't achieve £x but would you accept the lower sale price. And their cut remains at x%, of course!

Do do a scan of all the several 'webuyanyoldcar' sites when/if the time comes as there's often quite a big variation between the offers as they have different propositions. Your car will be attractive to the more premium trade, so somewhere like (iirc) Motorway where dealers bid for your car might be best.
Motorway was the first people i tried even before advertising. Was initially quoted £8,700 I think and then they knocked off about £250 because the car isnt perfect. I thought it was disingenuous of them to initially quote on a perfect car and not an average condition model. Then I got asked if i'd be happy to reserve at that price and I declined. Just seemed far too low. I appreciate dealers could bid this up but how genuine is that process?

Anyway, that's all in the past, I'm circa £1k above that level now.

I will take up your suggestion though, and agree that different companies will have different propositions. Trying others wont take up much time.

Looks like it's all over.

Did a few car buying sites.... WBAC £8,400, lol. Tried a few more and a bit higher.

Then one came back with an estimate £9,100-just under £10k. Rather than go through all the palaver of uploading more photos I just called them and said it's on autotrader, take a look.

A guy called me back about 10 mins later and offered £10,250! I asked about chipping away and he said when they come to collect if the car's approx as advertised they'll pay full amount. We're gonna get the docusigns etc done today.

Not bad for a car we bought almost 6 years ago to the day with 11 miles on the clock...paying £13,248 OTR. Depreciation of £3k in 6 years is great.....just over £40 a month.

Looks like it's all over.

Did a few car buying sites.... WBAC £8,400, lol. Tried a few more and a bit higher.

Then one came back with an estimate £9,100-just under £10k. Rather than go through all the palaver of uploading more photos I just called them and said it's on autotrader, take a look.

A guy called me back about 10 mins later and offered £10,250! I asked about chipping away and he said when they come to collect if the car's approx as advertised they'll pay full amount. We're gonna get the docusigns etc done today.

Not bad for a car we bought almost 6 years ago to the day with 11 miles on the clock...paying £13,248 OTR. Depreciation of £3k in 6 years is great.....just over £40 a month.
There you go! Excellent outcome :)

Back