General 500X Buyers Advice

Currently reading:
General 500X Buyers Advice

Hi all, I'm back on the forum after a long time away. Been posting across some different model sections to gather some thoughts on coming back to a Fiat. I've seen quite a few 500X models for shockingly low prices compared to new. I remember years ago the consensus was that Fiat's quality on the 500X was a bit lacking - that's not to insult it, every car has its faults and I know we were well aware of the common thing with the Panda etc over in that section, never really anything that made it a bad buy.

With the 500X, what are some good tips or things to know and avoid or opt for?

They have much better specs than the smaller models, what are the automatics like? Avoid like the Dualogic? (maybe it is the Dualogic?)

These still have the style of any Fiat, and they seem to be quite good value used so I'd love to hear any of your tips / experiences as owners.

The 1.4 manual is a hoot to drive
The 4x4 hasn’t quite got the off-road ability of it’s Jeep sister, but more than competent to do occasionally…
Other than that, I haven’t driven any of the others

What I can say is avoid the 2.0D auto they have a shocking reputation for thirst, Its a shame as I really wanted a 4x4 one. I suppose I should have gone for it. It would have saved me money over fuelling a Panda 4x4 TA!! I have given the 500X a good look over and was suprised at how well it stacks up against similar opposition.

What I can say is avoid the 2.0D auto they have a shocking reputation for thirst, Its a shame as I really wanted a 4x4 one. I suppose I should have gone for it. It would have saved me money over fuelling a Panda 4x4 TA!! I have given the 500X a good look over and was suprised at how well it stacks up against similar opposition.
Wife has the Rengade 2.0td trailhawk auto and, at its thirstiest, it returns 44mpg (tested by fill up, went on holidays round the Hebrides, and took mileage readings at each fill up and worked it out)…same motor as 500X…it doesn’t seem to have got worse, since 2016, wehn we got it, and again, it gets farm work as well as motorway, bypass and country road use. I get 18-22 out of the XJ Cherokee

Oh, and the renegade is 250k heavier, squarer and taller than the 500X, so I would think that it would be less thirsty?!?…having driven both on the road, the 500X is a better riding and handling car, though the 1.4 petrol was more fun than the 2.0td

Oh, and the renegade is 250k heavier, squarer and taller than the 500X, so I would think that it would be less thirsty?!?…having driven both on the road, the 500X is a better riding and handling car, though the 1.4 petrol was more fun than the 2.0td
My research suggested the Fiat would struggle to get thta much. Owners were quoting quite a bit less. Maybe they were jsut enjoying the power.

My research suggested the Fiat would struggle to get thta much. Owners were quoting quite a bit less. Maybe they were jsut enjoying the power.
It does ‘go’ it’s much quicker than my 4.0l straight six, on pickup and between its 9 gears and my four…I’m not saying we drive fast but it picks up its skirts and flys…I had seen a few saying the 2.0l Td was thirsty, but we haven’t found it to be. Even in lockdown wehn we were loading it up with sheep n pig nuts and hay bales on the roof, rather than using my car, it doesn’t ever dip into the thirties for mpg

In fact, I’m going to sell mine and put a towbar on the Renegade, then I can enjoy my twinair cross…will use a whole load less fuel than mine and I’m less likely to incur anymore speeding points! 😉

It does ‘go’ it’s much quicker than my 4.0l straight six, on pickup and between its 9 gears and my four…I’m not saying we drive fast but it picks up its skirts and flys…I had seen a few saying the 2.0l Td was thirsty, but we haven’t found it to be. Even in lockdown wehn we were loading it up with sheep n pig nuts and hay bales on the roof, rather than using my car, it doesn’t ever dip into the thirties for mpg
At the time I had a Bravo 1.6TD. It was doing 64mpg at worst and nearly 90 on a long run so I shied away and bough an economical 2 cylinder Panda petroholic TA. I have seen 7.3 on the fuel consumption read out and when really hammering the car it will average under 12 which is mind bendingly bad. On the other hand I have manageg over 60 when fuel shortages meant it was imperative! Genreally the Panda does 41-45 without any thought to economy. Not that great for such a small car. I was hoping for high 40's from a diesel auto though and the 30 or less being badied around really put me off. Another 'one that got away'. I suspect when you have a sprightly car you tend to go faster and that has a cost!

Just looked on ‘car buyer’ and ‘Parker’s’ websites for mpg, strangely they both quote a ‘disappointing 35mpg real world’ figure for the 500X and ‘45mpg average’ for the same engined Renegade (wife’s is higher powered trailhawk) it’s only based on 25 reviews! Hardly a fair sample and, noting the British press bias, you only have to look at the reviews comparing the Ford Ka to the 500 to know its boIIox

We are looking to buy a 500X, but we need to know the internal boot dimensions (width x depth). All I can find on the ‘net is volume, which isn’t a lot of help really!
Could an owner pop out and measure the boot please? It would be much appreciated.
Thank you.

We are looking to buy a 500X, but we need to know the internal boot dimensions (width x depth). All I can find on the ‘net is volume, which isn’t a lot of help really!
Could an owner pop out and measure the boot please? It would be much appreciated.
Thank you.
Yes, manufacturers seem to have stopped giving the dimensions and rely on litre capacity, which isn’t a great deal of help if you want to carry mutts and find they’ve no headroom. I had a quick look at the manuals section, on here, but couldn’t find it…

1.0 Firefly engine proving to be really good, and punches well above its weight. Averaging 40mpg driven reasonably briskly, and full of family - sometimes with a roof box. Space for four is great - better than the class above in some cases. Boot is very usable and a good shape - you only really lose a bit with the sloping rear window. Easily big enough for a family of four with luggage, child seats etc. Cruises well, handles nimbly and ride is good on the smaller wheels (16 & 17"). Stands out from the crowd too. I've really enjoyed the first trouble-free 5,000 miles.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230410-162446.png
    Screenshot_20230410-162446.png
    197 KB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot_20230410-162345.png
    Screenshot_20230410-162345.png
    577.9 KB · Views: 49
You haven't said what your budget is, but I have the 1.3 firefly Auto and I'm really pleased with it

Goes well and the gear change is smooth

Economy is OK, 35 to 40 on short around town and commuting, long runs on the motorway well over 40. Can't be more accurate I'm afraid.

The build quality on the facelifted, pre-hybrid cars is pretty good

Just looked on ‘car buyer’ and ‘Parker’s’ websites for mpg, strangely they both quote a ‘disappointing 35mpg real world’ figure for the 500X and ‘45mpg average’ for the same engined Renegade (wife’s is higher powered trailhawk) it’s only based on 25 reviews! Hardly a fair sample and, noting the British press bias, you only have to look at the reviews comparing the Ford Ka to the 500 to know its boIIox
I remember, I think it was AutoExpress, giving the VW Polo the #1 spot for reliability and the Audi A1 being the worst of the unreliable bunch........ that's when I learnt not to trust car reviews. Although I have to admit those CarBuyer videos have gotten a lot less biased since Mat Watson moved on, less saying how everything is worse than a VAG product across the collection of videos!
You haven't said what your budget is, but I have the 1.3 firefly Auto and I'm really pleased with it

Goes well and the gear change is smooth

Economy is OK, 35 to 40 on short around town and commuting, long runs on the motorway well over 40. Can't be more accurate I'm afraid.

The build quality on the facelifted, pre-hybrid cars is pretty good
Ideally around £12k. I could go up to £18k for a real all-singing, all-dancing or nearly new car that will assumably last another 10 years plus (as well as being desirable enough to want to keep that long). Or less, would also be better but probably not as long lasting, new or well specced these days if much less than that. Open to going both ways on the price spectrum but there's so so much choice really.

The boot inside measurements are quite small. Our previous car (Suzuki Swift Sport 2019) has a wider boot at 1100mm, but it’s slightly shorter on the depth. I am very surprised at how small the 500x boot is. My wife reckons it will be alright and so we have just bought a 2021 1.0 Sport in blue with black roof. It has the 19” wheels, rear centre head rest and a full size spare, so well-specced. The full size spare does mean that the boot is a little less deep as well. We collect on Saturday. I hope the wife doesn’t regret it when the grandsons push chair doesn’t fit🤣 ❗

Back