Technical 500x 1.6 diesel, engine sounds "off"

Currently reading:
Technical 500x 1.6 diesel, engine sounds "off"

cirian75

Looking at a 500x.

But the engine does not sound right, there is a hollow sounding burr from the engine.

Sellers video

It does not sound normal to me.

Is the metallic clicking sound from the car? If yes then something is definitely wrong.

Mine is a diesel and it makes the typical thump-thump noise like all diesel cars, but that is all. While driving the engine noise is barely noticeable.

Would have been nice if they'd opened the bonnet...might just be a pulley bearing or something like that. Obviously depends if they are doing full dealer service and would fix prior to delivery.

Not heard a car that doesn't sound a bit odd on a phone camera at idle. They are mainly designed for human speech so they tend to pick out sounds that in person you wouldn't necessarily hear and emphasize/hide others.

There's a metallic tinkling noise that shouldn't be there, the engine is cold and they quieten down as they warm,
but what are the two warning lights on the rev counter? the one on the speedo is the doors.

Looking at a 500x.

But the engine does not sound right, there is a hollow sounding burr from the engine.

Sellers video

How many others have you viewed?

Totally different to my small diesels..

But I have had 3 of the 1248cc and they have all sounded Different.. but have all run for 3 years without issue

Any modern Diesel is complex.. so you need a Great Warranty package.. and an undertaking from the seller to fix anything spotted before you drive it away :)

I just hear a tinkling..

Are you judging the car by this video... ?
or did it sound 'Wrong' when you sat in it

Nothing there made me think 'thump.thump.'

If you need others to compare..
Alfa dealers probably those motors on the forecourt ;-)
Indeed the tinkling doesn't sound particularly dangerous given it's audible at the rear wheel and front it's may be a heat shield has dropped on to the exhaust and it's otherwise mechanically fit.

Would be wary of a repo though...as likely to have been run on a tight budget for a while.

Looked at another one on Saturday.

All looked good until opened the bonnet, the coolant tank was 99% empty.

When I started started and stopped the engine there was a loud squeak and slight shudder each time indicating DMF failure

The A/C did not work and the glove box was coated in a neon yellow oil.

The quest continues.

Looked at another one on Saturday.

All looked good until opened the bonnet, the coolant tank was 99% empty.

When I started started and stopped the engine there was a loud squeak and slight shudder each time indicating DMF failure

The A/C did not work and the glove box was coated in a neon yellow oil.

The quest continues.
Neon yellow sounds like air con dye what it this color?

The problem you've got is you're looking at 8 year old family cars...

Generally the life cycle of the car will have been..first owner lease/PCP over 4 years so nothing done outside of service schedule and no real care taken. Second owner PCP again probably 4 year..by the end of which old age and lack of care are starting to bite so no final payment made and onto the market it comes.

Not to say there are not looked after ones out there but the majority will be cars that have been beaten like a mule on the basis they were always going back.

Poor Reliability tends to be a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy. Owner takes the view it's a cheap car..so will only spend bare minimum, bare minimum bites the reliability and round it goes.

Finding a well looked after one..may take some time.

The problem is that most people have no idea and no interest in their cars. They treat it like a washing machine or a gas boiler, just using it until some light or warning comes up, then they ask "is this red flashing light saying "Warp core breach! Stop the engine" anything to worry about? I've been driving it for like this for a few weeks hehe!"

The simplest test is just checking the coolant and oil levels. If they've never been topped up, or they're full of mud, then that's maybe not the best sign. Nor is an engine compartment full of last summer's dust and dead insects etc. .. although at least you can spot any oil leaks more easily.

Ralf S.

Have looked at two more today

1st one the clutch was juddery at the top of its travel, and there was "tish tish tish tish tish tish" from the front left of the engine, assuming alternator/pully wheel tensioner

2nd one
Drivers door handle needs replacing
rear hatch release button needs replacing
The driver door controls are coming away from the door
And there is a audible clunk when you switch to high beam (update, this could be HID shutter clunk so 100% normal)

But those are all minor fixable issues

It drove brilliantly

So have put a £99 deposit down to give me a little thinking room

No deal could be reached, they were unwilling to be sensible on the cambelt change

1st they offered a discounted labour rate if I would pay.

Then offered a £250/250 split

So that is the end of that for that particular 500x

Looking at a 500x.

Sellers video

Bag of nails. Sounds like ancillary or gearbox / clutch. Leave it for someone else!

Have been to the car

walked away without having even bothered to start it
Given the banners in the background of your video saying "Reposessions UK" I'm not sure i'd have even spent the time to go and look at it.

My 1.6 MJT Diesel Punto which had the same engine and 170K miles on the clock sounded better than that thing.

Back