General 500L roll backwards even on slight inclines

Currently reading:
General 500L roll backwards even on slight inclines

Seleuca

Hi everyone!
My wife has recently purchased a 2014 Fiat 500L Trekking Dualogic 1.3 diesel. I must say we both love the car. We love the styling, the space and 'most' of its quirkyness 😊
However, one thing that unsettles both of us is it always wants to roll backwards on even the slightest of inclines. I understand why this happens but its alarming at times at junctions and in traffic queues.
Yes you can move your foot from brake to gas fairly quickly but can't eliminate the roll and we haven't developed faith and trust in this operation yet.
Ive seen some advocate left foot on brake and right foot on gas bus this is counter intuitive. I haven't tried this yet. Any comments from those with experience?
I could try handbrake hold but my wife isn't used to this and the handbrake is that weird shape that doesn't encourage this.
It has hill assist but this only kicks in on 8 percent gradient which doesn't include most inclines.
I'm just asking for those with more everyday experience to share their thoughts on their own learning curve.
Really grateful for any suggestions. Thanks all 😊👍

Hi everyone!
My wife has recently purchased a 2014 Fiat 500L Trekking Dualogic 1.3 diesel. I must say we both love the car. We love the styling, the space and 'most' of its quirkyness 😊
However, one thing that unsettles both of us is it always wants to roll backwards on even the slightest of inclines. I understand why this happens but its alarming at times at junctions and in traffic queues.
Yes you can move your foot from brake to gas fairly quickly but can't eliminate the roll and we haven't developed faith and trust in this operation yet.
Ive seen some advocate left foot on brake and right foot on gas bus this is counter intuitive. I haven't tried this yet. Any comments from those with experience?
I could try handbrake hold but my wife isn't used to this and the handbrake is that weird shape that doesn't encourage this.
It has hill assist but this only kicks in on 8 percent gradient which doesn't include most inclines.
I'm just asking for those with more everyday experience to share their thoughts on their own learning curve.
Really grateful for any suggestions. Thanks all 😊👍
I'm confused?

What car did you have before that didn't roll back when you didn't have the handbrake on?

Are you used to driving cars with electric handbrakes

I'm confused?

What car did you have before that didn't roll back when you didn't have the handbrake on?

Are you used to driving cars with electric handbrakes
Hi, thanks for reply. Many automatics really, Merc, Volvo etc.
Obviously my manual cars would roll but you'd have clutch control and handbrake to mitigate all that.
Was simply wondering how people get on with the 500L Dualogic. As I mentioned I'm more concerned about my wife who will need to use this for her daily trip to work and never driven Dualogic semi auto.

Hi, thanks for reply. Many automatics really, Merc, Volvo etc.
Obviously my manual cars would roll but you'd have clutch control and handbrake to mitigate all that.
Was simply wondering how people get on with the 500L Dualogic. As I mentioned I'm more concerned about my wife who will need to use this for her daily trip to work and never driven Dualogic semi auto.
Ah missed the dialogic part and assumed it was a normal manual

UPDATE: After gaining some practical experience with our 500L now, I can happily report the hill start thing is no longer an issue.
Yes on slight inclines there's a 2 inch roll back but easily captured in good time from brake to gas.
On greater inclines then the hill assist automatically kicks in and is very reliable. You soon become confident with this.
In all we're enjoying the quirks of the Dualogic box and it's performing well for a 9 year old :)

Back