Technical new engine ? 500l

Currently reading:
Technical new engine ? 500l

had a diagnostic done on my 2013 500l diesel
said it was the 4th piston that was done in
is it possible to change the piston please ?
garage says new engine but can’t find one anywhere thanks in advance
diane

It might be too good for that. It's the difference between it being economically repairable or being economic to pay someone else to repair.

I think it's likely worth repairing by someone who can do the work themselves and is going to use the car afterwards.

It's when you add the cost (and uncertainty) of paying a garage's labour and overheads that it becomes uneconomic, and much more high risk.

It might even be possible for someone to rebuild the existing engine. At least one person here has rebuilt a badly damaged engine on a car which almost certainly would otherwise have been broken for spares.
oh right 😌
how much do you think i should ask please
72 k miles 2013 x

how much do you think i should ask please
It's not easy to value cars like this at the best of times, and the market is strange just now, with prices of used cars well off the peak they rose to after covid; there are a lot of hugely overpriced older used cars sitting unsold on dealer forecourts at the moment.

If I had to make a best guess, sold "as is", I'd say somewhere in the £1400-£1800 range, maybe £2k on a very good day. Fully repaired, in a private sale, £3k.

My inclination would be to put it on ebay with an accurate description and let the market find its price.

This is a current listing for something similar.

Read the description in that ebay listing and you'll see why I'm not recommending that you have your own car repaired.

"The engine needs attention and I can no longer afford to keep spending on the vehicle to get it sorted. I spent £2,000 on it at a local garage and they kept saying it needed more work... ...I could no longer afford to keep throwing money at the car so am having to sell.."

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Ebay..
A car Auction with a much wider audience 😉
I hadn't thought of that, i've just been to have a look at whats for sale and ending soonest on ebay.

I'd list it for £700, probably getting one or two bids, i'm guessing though!

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back