General 500F jack stand points?

Currently reading:
General 500F jack stand points?

forzamacchi

Hello Everyone,
I am dropping the transmission on my 500F this coming weekend and I was wondering what the preferred jack stand locations are for performing the operation?
Thanks,
Ben

For the rear, I ALWAYS advise that you put the stands under the outer parts of the rear suspension arms. I never put stands under the jacking points. (don't trust their integeity). For the front, I always put the stands under the alloy spring mounts, jackinging the car up with the jack under the centre of the spring

Seconding what Tom (the hobbler) says. If you have them, ramps under the rear wheels with jack stands on the forward spring mounts. Additionally, the balance is not the best if you're using the "jacking points" and the front spring mounts. I've tried that combo with my Quickjacks and the car isn't exactly stable.

I’ve supported Luigi in the same way as The Hobbler and Jumpjet have already suggested.
Also worth considering is a nice piece of timber with a couple of pads attached that fits between the rear wheels and picks up at the outer most points on the rear suspension arms. This was a great solution for my last big engine/transmission job, keeps the suspension compressed so you can dismantle the drive flanges and with the engine removed supports the gearbox whilst you get everything disconnected.
Hope the attached picture helps along with the above description!

Ian

Attachments

• B6F41B03-ED65-4835-818D-0F2EE3548C52.jpeg
    B6F41B03-ED65-4835-818D-0F2EE3548C52.jpeg
    985.8 KB · Views: 96
I’ve supported Luigi in the same way as The Hobbler and Jumpjet have already suggested.
Also worth considering is a nice piece of timber with a couple of pads attached that fits between the rear wheels and picks up at the outer most points on the rear suspension arms. This was a great solution for my last big engine/transmission job, keeps the suspension compressed so you can dismantle the drive flanges and with the engine removed supports the gearbox whilst you get everything disconnected.
Hope the attached picture helps along with the above description!

Ian

Just copied your idea to reclaim my ramps from under the Giardinetta project. Worked like a charm. A 4x4, cut 39" long, with the bottom edges beveled 45-deg (to sit perfectly on the jack stands) for those wanting one of their own.

Just copied your idea to reclaim my ramps from under the Giardinetta project. Worked like a charm. A 4x4, cut 39" long, with the bottom edges beveled 45-deg (to sit perfectly on the jack stands) for those wanting one of their own.

A few years ago I bought a jacking beam for my car which works in the same way. The arms are fully adjustable in width and the height of the support pads can also be adjusted. It slots into my trolley jack when I remove the standard support cup.

Attachments

• Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    378.3 KB · Views: 40
Matt
Brilliant, pleased you’ve found it useful.

Peter
The perfect tool for the job! Now, do I search the internet or is it off to the shed to make one!

Ian

Matt
Brilliant, pleased you’ve found it useful.

Peter
The perfect tool for the job! Now, do I search the internet or is it off to the shed to make one!

Ian

You could possibly make a better one Ian. The internal component cross section makes it too loose a fit in the rectangle of the outer; maybe on prpose to give wiggleability. I place the support pads as centrally as possible under the swinging arms. I don't need it at the front as you can use the centre of the spring for the same purpose when jacking.

Most cars are too low for this tool to be any use if the car is sitting normally as you can't slide it under when it's in it's working position on a trolley jack.
Here it is used on my 900e van.

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/tjb2-jacking-beam

Attachments

• 44944390254_a364e3012c_c.jpg
    44944390254_a364e3012c_c.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 55
You could possibly make a better one Ian. The internal component cross section makes it too loose a fit in the rectangle of the outer; maybe on prpose to give wiggleability. I place the support pads as centrally as possible under the swinging arms. I don't need it at the front as you can use the centre of the spring for the same purpose when jacking.

Most cars are too low for this tool to be any use if the car is sitting normally as you can't slide it under when it's in it's working position on a trolley jack.
Here it is used on my 900e van.

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/tjb2-jacking-beam

Hi Peter, I found much the same item on fleaBay for £39.99 with free shipping - result (y)(y) Vehicle Car Cross Trolley Jack Beam Adapter 2 Ton Lifting Adjustable Tool Steel item number 402443563532. It will certainly help prevent the lifting too-ing and fro-ing with a single jack. (y)(y)
Ian.

Back