Technical Cooling fan - 500F

Currently reading:
Technical Cooling fan - 500F

Berlinette

Naive question but presumably the cooling fan located within the cowling should be fixed and not turn independently of the Dynamo shaft, ie it only operates when the Dynamo shaft is spinning?

How is the fan fixed to the shaft? Is there a woodruff key or similar?

Many thanks

The fan mounting boss is located on the Dynamo spindle by a woodruff key. The fan locates on the boss clamped in position by a large outer heavy duty type washer, friction pads either side of the fan and clamped with the large nut. So the fan should only spin withe the Dynamo.

Thank you. That's where my problem is. The fan is spinning independently of the dynamo and is clattering around when the engine's running so something has broken or come adrift.

More than likely, the cutout for the shaft on the fan has been rounded out and has slop in it. See attached pic. Usually due to an improperly tightened fan, either due to insufficient torque or the spacers/washers not present.

IMG_4272.jpg

It's normally held by a keyed spacer pictured below.

D3DF5BA0-366F-4660-B81E-0BB13DBFFB29.jpg

Last edited:
More than likely, the cutout for the shaft on the fan has been rounded out and has slop in it. See attached pic. Usually due to an improperly tightened fan, either due to insufficient torque or the spacers/washers not present.

View attachment 427134

View attachment 427135
Sadly, the repair is an "engine-out" job, but all the parts that you will require are available (Van de Laan for example) but beware, thereare TWO styles of the "driving key-way"

View attachment 427134

View attachment 427135
Sadly, this will be an "engine-out" job to repair, but all the parts that you will require are still available (Van de Laan, for example). BEWARE--there are TWO slightly different styles of the "Keyed-spacer"----make sure that you obtain the correct one ('dynamo' if you have the original 500 engine). You will need a new fan, the 'keyed-spacer', the friction washers and a new nut. Depending on its condition, you might also need the big, shaped washer that the nut tightens up against

I changed the fan with the engine in situ on my 500L then to my “delight” when I drove the car out of the way there on the floor was the small woodruff key that fell from the Dynamo spindle during fitting so I had to do the whole thing over again 😳
Did not take too long though but a spot of grease to secure the key would have been an idea in the first place.

Yes, I'm wondering why it would need to be an engine out job as I already have most of the cowling disassembled. Simple logic would suggest that the engine would also have to come out to change the dynamo?

I changed the fan with the engine in situ on my 500L then to my “delight” when I drove the car out of the way there on the floor was the small woodruff key that fell from the Dynamo spindle during fitting so I had to do the whole thing over again 😳
Did not take too long though but a spot of grease to secure the key would have been an idea in the first place.
A number of reasons why normally it would be an engine out job---(a) it is a lot easier to get at all the shroud securing bolts at the back of the engine with the engine out, (b) Dave (Toshi) has had a lot of these engine 'in bits'and therefore knows where all the securing bolts at the back of the engine are, (c) you won't drop the Woodruff 'key', (d) it will be a lot easier to undue/do-up the large nut at the end of the dynamo---these nuts are (from the factory) VERY tight and often require the use of an 'impact' drill. From experience I have found that trying to undo this nut by having a spanner on the nut at the pulley end of the dynamo often ends up with the wrong nut undoing!

It’s not the removal that requires the engine out… Enjoy getting it all back together with the engine in place.

I thought the same when I repaired the pictures failure. Had it all apart in place. Getting it back together, not so much.

Ok guys what's going on here? Fan out of the engine but no means of it being driven by the looks of it. Perfectly round hole, no woodruff key, or any place for one just two thrust washers, the conical shaped washer and nut holding it in place........not good! Looks like a botch up at some point in the car's past.

Attachments

• IMG_0892.jpeg
    IMG_0892.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 37
Ok guys what's going on here? Fan out of the engine but no means of it being driven by the looks of it. Perfectly round hole, no woodruff key, or any place for one just two thrust washers, the conical shaped washer and nut holding it in place........not good! Looks like a botch up at some point in the car's past.
Yes, a REAL 'bodge' job! You will require,and I am giving you "van de Laan " part numbers purely as a "this is what it looks like" reference:---
2 x EP 9020--------- spacers (1 either side of the fan)
1 x DS 5010B -------nut (although I always try to use a nyloc nut for this job)
1 x DS 4950----------Woodrufff key
1 x DS 4915----------the 'driving' spacer---2 flat surfaces that drive the fan, and slot for the Woodruff key
1 x DS 4905----------big 'cup' spacer that goes between the nut and the fan
1 x EP 9030----------Cooling fan
Apologies if I am "teaching you to suck eggs", but being that you don't have the parts as reference,it was just easier to list out all the parts that you require. You say that you have the thin spacers; personally for what they cost, I would renew these thin spacer and the 'cup'washer.

Incidentally, am I correct in thinking that the nyloc nut needs to be an M10 fine? Tried an M10 earlier but wouldn't go on as the thread on the dynamo shaft looks to be a finer pitch.

I will have all the bits including fans Here in the UK. Incidentally the woodruff key is or should be in the Dynamo spindle driving the fan boss.

I will have all the bits including fans Here in the UK. Incidentally the woodruff key is or should be in the Dynamo spindle driving the fan boss.
Yes, it is a 10mm 'fine'. As Dave (Toshi) has all the parts that you need, get them from him----think what you will save in postage!

Back