Technical Cooling fan / dynamo question

Currently reading:
Technical Cooling fan / dynamo question

After spending several hours (over 2 - 3 days) trying to sort out the dynamo / fan I'm finally getting somewhere, although I do have a further question.
Got the dynamo mounted on the engine cover, after modifying the alloy mounting that the strap arrangement fits on, turned the hole for the nylon pin into a slot as there was no way on earth the pin would go in the hole. After experimenting with several combinations of shims / washers etc I've finally got the dynamo turning and the fan is not rubbing on the mounting half of the engine cover. However I have found that if I tighten the bolt that holds the fan on much more than finger tight the whole dynamo 'binds up' and refuses to turn.
Is the remedy to this to put a nyloc nut on the shaft, or put 2 nuts on locked together?
I've got a set of crows foot spanners that should make the 2 nuts option possible.
As usual any assistance / help gratefully received.

After spending several hours (over 2 - 3 days) trying to sort out the dynamo / fan I'm finally getting somewhere, although I do have a further question.
Got the dynamo mounted on the engine cover, after modifying the alloy mounting that the strap arrangement fits on, turned the hole for the nylon pin into a slot as there was no way on earth the pin would go in the hole. After experimenting with several combinations of shims / washers etc I've finally got the dynamo turning and the fan is not rubbing on the mounting half of the engine cover. However I have found that if I tighten the bolt that holds the fan on much more than finger tight the whole dynamo 'binds up' and refuses to turn.
Is the remedy to this to put a nyloc nut on the shaft, or put 2 nuts on locked together?
I've got a set of crows foot spanners that should make the 2 nuts option possible.
As usual any assistance / help gratefully received.
Check that the fan-mounting 'disc' (which has the 2 flats on it to fit into the fan centre) is not binding on the dynamo itself when you tighten the nut. You may have to shim out the 'disc' away from the dynamo

Back