Technical 500F Rear Axle Stub Removal

Currently reading:
Technical 500F Rear Axle Stub Removal

Italino

I have been blindly trying to replace the rear brake backing plate on my 1965 500F. I got it disassembled to the point that the only thing left is to remove the stub axle. The problem is how to do it, given that it rotates when I put a wrench on the axle nut. Do I have to reattach the old backing plate and wheel, then lower the car down onto its wheel to get any torque on the nut? Or is there a better way? Is there any kind of male wrench that fits in the outer end of the stub axle, catching the two ears on the inside (see pic)?

Attachments

• IMG_9535.JPG
    IMG_9535.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 50
Yes, unless you have a large enough pipe wrench to put on the outside of the flange. Its easiest to quickly bolt the hub back on. If brake hardware is removed, attach the wheel and lower. If the brake hardware is still in, you can try and apply the parking brake and hit the nut with an impact.

Trying to remove the nut by hand is very difficult. An impact helps greatly in both ways.
There is a preload requirement when re-installing.

Yes, unless you have a large enough pipe wrench to put on the outside of the flange. Its easiest to quickly bolt the hub back on. If brake hardware is removed, attach the wheel and lower. If the brake hardware is still in, you can try and apply the parking brake and hit the nut with an impact.

Trying to remove the nut by hand is very difficult. An impact helps greatly in both ways.
Very helpful! Do you need to detach the inner axle to get the impact gun on the nut that holds the stub axle on?

Yes. The spline coupler needs to be unbolted. The nut should be hiding behind the flange.
Yes. I found that out. As it is, I can get an open end wrench on it, but not an impact wrench. Thank you! Is there a torque figure for bolting it back on at the end of the job?

Yes. I found that out. As it is, I can get an open end wrench on it, but not an impact wrench. Thank you! Is there a torque figure for bolting it back on at the end of the job?
(I have only a Chilton's Repair Manual, and it's a thin one!

Back