General 4x4 squealing rear brakes

Currently reading:
General 4x4 squealing rear brakes

The remap Euro 6 thing scares me as that reportedly ruined the 1.2 cars.

The original map did but I think they sorted it out for later versions, yours would have been supposedly Euro 6 from new and it's a TA so hopefully it'll be ok, my 500 TA is Euro 6 too and haven't received any recall over here yet so maybe just a panda 90bhp thing?

Just had my caliper bolts done at 27k mile service @ 18months old. Service by Keswick Fiat.

They were aware of the issue and even had the weights in stock! They said they just fit them on customer request, as Fiat have never refused their paperwork for doing the job.

Software update also done, and no negative effects to report thus far. The brakes are silent though, so happy days.

I had on and off noises from one side. Which I was thinking was bearings. Service did not pick up any issue. However at MOT examiner noted that pads binding after seeing the heat effect to disc. Luck not overheated and reusable. Stripped caliper and noted dry and in sorry state, which dealer service did not pick up.

Also noted new pad backing plate on top limit of dimensions to actually fit within the caliper frame. Removed paint from ends, fine ground and polished, fitting with ample ceramic grease. So that they can actually retract. Lovely now to drive on Motorway without the noise.

My brakes don't honk :D

Don't worry they will one day. Mine re mostly quiet to at 6000 miles so they should be but they will one day if they are not spotlessly cleaned on a regular basis. I really like Fiats 'fix' of silly great long bolts with anti vibe weights on. I cannot understand why they can't make the things properly in the first place. At least they work really well!

Getting the 'mod' done on my new Cross which I bought secondhand. Little old lady before whom owned must not have been aware of it but I am and they are fitting the mod under warranty.

Getting the 'mod' done on my new Cross which I bought secondhand. Little old lady before whom owned must not have been aware of it but I am and they are fitting the mod under warranty.

Remember that the "just add a massive weight" mod only stops the honking by changing the resonant frequency of the brake assembly - the root cause of which is binding pads-on-discs and that remains. The only real fix is a strip and grease job every time it returns. And of course you're also increasing unsprung weight, which is never a good thing. Another example of a cheap Fiat fudge-fix I'm afraid.

Mine stopped making the noise when I replaced the brake pads (with Pagid ones). No grease used (seen by some as bad practice to use these days - attracts dirt/dust which can lead to more chance of binding. The pads have a rubber 'squeal silencer' on the back anyway. 'Traditionally', copper grease should only be on the back of the pad to 'fill' the gap between the backing and the piston, as its vibration there that causes squeal/honking.)

Didn't replace rear discs as (1) still in limit and (2) couldn't see how to!

Best place to use copper grease: on the face of the alloy wheels where they meet the hub: prevents the wheels corroding into place: I had to use a lot of 'persuasion' to remove the wheels!

Remember that the "just add a massive weight" mod only stops the honking by changing the resonant frequency of the brake assembly - the root cause of which is binding pads-on-discs and that remains. The only real fix is a strip and grease job every time it returns. And of course you're also increasing unsprung weight, which is never a good thing. Another example of a cheap Fiat fudge-fix I'm afraid.

Are you referring to the damper mod?

Ringa is, yes. All they do is replace the callper bolts with new ones which have a large 'weight' on the end (see here: https://www.fiatforum.com/panda-iii/430011-4x4-squealing-rear-brakes-5.html?p=4140353 and here https://www.fiatforum.com/panda-iii/430011-4x4-squealing-rear-brakes-8.html?p=4157734 from the long thread - no pun intended! - about this previously) . This absorbs the low frequency 'groan' generated by the calipers. Its a 'bodge' that hides the noise, but doesn't really cure the underlying problem. My old 4x4 and my current one both groaned with the original pads, but neither did/has once they were replaced with new, non Fiat ones.

Last edited:
My brakes don't honk :D

I spoke too soon, back at the start of this thread in October 2015!

I've never had any noise when reversing, but at 42k miles, and nearly 4 years old, the rear brakes on my Cross have started squealing with a vengeance! They are quiet for the first 10 minutes of a journey, after which the banshee wailing and screetching begins, until journey's end. Running with the handbrake on to clean the surface of the pads and discs makes no difference (apart from stopping the wretched noise temporarily while the handbrake is engaged).

Time to get the spanners and copper grease out, methinks! And I was looking forward to a nice, quiet weekend attacking the undergrowth in my garden. :(

Last edited:
It's very odd - this brake sqeal seems to be fairly common but I've never experienced it, either on my 13-plate 4x4 TA or its 100HP predecessor. I'm fortunate that my car spends most of its time in a garage with the handbrake off and I suspect this makes a difference.

Mine started squealing a week or so ago, discovered that one of the dust protectors had completely detached itself, ripped it out, problem solved��

Might be too late to be of help. Mine was rear brakes not releasing, you could feel intense heat from the squeaky one after driving. Was sorted with disc and pad change, although rear discs are not an easy job on the 4x4 I believe

Some pads have a thin shim bonded the the metal backing plate. Its not unheard of for these to part company with the pad. There are two options. Stick them back, or take them off and discard them. If the latter remember the pads will need renewing a little earlier as removal reduced the thickness by about 1mm. Its annoying but not restricted to Fiat brakes. Another possible fix is to remove the pads and chamfer the edges with a file this will also help reduce squeal. Remove any lip from the disc with a file or grinder while the pads are being checked. Ensure the Fiat 'mod' is fitted to the brakes too. This will be an FOC job at your dealer. With thorough cleaning and correct reassembly this lot should see you sorted.

gar074 my Fiat dealer that was suggested the modification only relates to certain ages of car, paying for the modified parts to stop the noise £200 all in. I had my brakes cleaned out with a soft brush and calipers lubed (or whatever it was) for about £50. :)

Since the 'vibration dampers' have been fitted sometime in September I've had no recurrence of brake squeal, or any other noise. It seems to have done the trick.

Makes one wonder why the ** Fiat don't fit these dampers to all new ones now they know about the issue????????

I stripped mine down a few months ago, cleaned them thoroughly, filed the edges off the discs, chamfered the edge off the pads, copper-greased the backs, and, less than 3k miles later, they've just started squealing to high heaven again. Seriously p*ssed off!

Back