General 4x4 squealing rear brakes

Currently reading:
General 4x4 squealing rear brakes

Mine isn't squealing, but it gave a little low moan earlier this week when reversing. Not enough to scare the horses, at this stage.

Same here.....

I don't really have the problem with the 4x4 - and the same was true of the 100HP I had before - and I'm increasingly convinced it's to do with use of the handbrake - I park in the garage with brake off in Devon, and there's no trace of rear brake noise, but here in Umbria I have to park with the handbrake on and from time to time there's a trace of moan when braking in reverse.

I have had the fix and we were just saying today that we haven't had so much as a murmur from the brakes since the addition of the heavy bobbins. That said, I will not be convinced until we're past the 4/5000 mile mark post-fix, which is the distance it took previously to rear it's ugly head each time after cleaning. Fingers crossed.

Mine isn't squealing, but it gave a little low moan earlier this week when reversing. Not enough to scare the horses, at this stage.

Squealing is maybe not a very good description and a moan might be better. My one makes a resonating sound, similar to what you get when you run a wet finger around the rim of a wine glass with some liquid in it. That's the best description that I can come up with and isn't far off the mark.

Supposed to be visiting the dealer at the end of the week, so will see what they say then.

My one makes a resonating sound, similar to what you get when you run a wet finger around the rim of a wine glass with some liquid in it.

Mmmmm ... wine glass with some liquid in it. :)

I have a wine glass to hand. Time for some experimentation on reproducing the legendary Panda Moan ... but that will require a refill (y)

As my compatriot, the actor Windsor Davies, would have said: "Oh Dear. What a pity. Never mind." ;)

Last edited:
After three years of moaning brakes I've finally had the 'fix' installed on my 4x4 today and so far so good. This took a while for fiat to agree to do and then get the parts but at least it was covered under warranty even though my car if now over three years old. Well done this forum for sharing the info about this fix.

One more for the damper kit fix . I mentioned it to my dealer (Perry's Aylesbury) at the one year service. They knew all about it and ordered the damper kit which seems to have fixed it.

So the fix is to mute the noise not cure the rubbing?

May as well just turn up the radio then. :eek:

And it's a pretty rubbish fix from an engineering point of you. All they've done is add a pair or very heavy weights to the back of the calliper mount which changes the resonant frequency of the assembly, so the oscillations caused by the dragging pads whilst reversing, don't become audible. Same fault still exists (sticking calliper sliders) and they've simply increased the un-sprung weight to the (admittedly small) detriment of handling and ride quality. A weak fix in Engineering terms I think!

Have took my panda cross in to day for 1st service and for the second time brake noise when reversing,we will see what happens,also the blue and me wont let me phone out now just comes on dash call ended.:mad:

Having just acquired a 2014 Panda Cross, I found it too suffered from squealing brake syndrome.

Whilst it happens all the time for me, it seems the dealer cannot replicate it (possibly because there's only a few weeks left on the warranty!).

I mentioned the Fiat tech fix and was told they couldn't open a tech case until they had personally diagnosed the problem.

I feel a Basil Fawlty moment coming on...

the garage says i need a new bobbin thing for the brakes that has to ordered and a whole new blue and me thing,say going to re book in next week when parts arrive,i even gave them the part number did not seem to mater to them will let you know what happens next week,also just had a letter in from fiat about the Euro 6 emissions have been told to book that in why did they not tell me at the garage to upgrade the software when i was in for 1st service and the brake/blue tooth thing.:mad:(n)

In relation to my TA 4x4, the noise was only present when it rained. Thanks to Goudrons who posted best part of a year ago at start of this thread. He cleaned the brakes up. My local Fiat dealer confirmed the cause by email as the same (pads and calipers). I couldn't face taking the car back and for dealer to put the goodwill claim in or whatever it was. So mechanic cleaned brakes up for me. And freed the back wheels up as they would only spin so far by hand while car was up in the air compared to the fronts (whatever that means). I don't expect any issues again :)

have had both new bolts things on bottom of rear callipers also they replaced the blue tooth module and did a software update for the Euro 6 emissions no more squeaks yet.

Here's hoping all sorted out now. I've not heard a squeak since my bolts were changed.

I think a few of us will be very interested to hear if you notice any changes from the Euro 6 emissions update - positive and negative. I've been in touch with dealer and FIAT CS and nobody seems to know, apart from lowering the emissions, if there are any downsides. It seems to be a fabulous thing and nothing has been sacrificied.

Here's hoping all sorted out now. I've not heard a squeak since my bolts were changed.

I think a few of us will be very interested to hear if you notice any changes from the Euro 6 emissions update - positive and negative. I've been in touch with dealer and FIAT CS and nobody seems to know, apart from lowering the emissions, if there are any downsides. It seems to be a fabulous thing and nothing has been sacrificied.

Maybe they're getting their house in order after the VW scandal

Back