24 hour drinking?

Currently reading:
24 hour drinking?

black_cinq

Away with the fairies
Well as of tomorrow, some bars will be able to open 24 hours :woot:

Personally i think its a great idea, whats your views on it?

Also does anyone know if theres a list of which bars have been granted 24 hour opening? I know theres about 200 in the country but where are they? :D

Stupid idea IMO...we already have enough of a problem, expect yet more people driving to work drunk in the morning since they have been sat in the pub all night, literally. I see no reason whatsoever why it is necessary.

Uh oh, I'm with Paul here. No need at all.
They say it's to reduce trouble when everyone pours out of clubs at one time.
Trouble is, I presume there's still going to be a last train or bus to catch so there will be a large contingent exiting at on etime anyway.

Plus, will the police have to have a 24hr booze shift now? and will there be 24hour taxis? If not then I suspect drink driving might increase.

I expect lots more people, mostly students who tend to work in bars will be coerced into longer hours, night shifts and their lifves outside work might suffer.

THat's a good point about the transport either changing or not - either way it won't be good. Also about the police..since they have to be in town so much at nights due to idiotic behaviour I see what you mean.

I honestly don't know why the legislation got put through!

There isnt that much change in Lichfield - Bars arent opening any later (still closing at 2am) but pubs that normally shut at 11pm in the city centre and staying open until 1am.

I dont really think it'll make a whole load of difference. Instead of chuck out time being 11pm It'll be 1am... when people will move into the places that shut at 2am...

black_cinq said:
I dont really think it'll make a whole load of difference. Instead of chuck out time being 11pm It'll be 1am... when people will move into the places that shut at 2am...

We will see I guess, but contrary to that point, Joe Bloggs who likes a few pints in the evening at the pub may now stay there until 1am, go to bed at 2am and leave for work still drunk at 7am. Those two hours difference could mean a huge difference.

i think it'll make a huge difference to big cities though. You wont get as many people crowding onto the streets at 2/3am. Meaning less fights etc.

Yes people may be more drunk but i dont honestly think they will.

Taxi's will no doubt work more hours to cover the different opening hours.

The Negotiator said:
We will see I guess, but contrary to that point, Joe Bloggs who likes a few pints in the evening at the pub may now stay there until 1am, go to bed at 2am and leave for work still drunk at 7am. Those two hours difference could mean a huge difference.

But what about the people that get up to go to work at 5am now?!

Hmm, people go to work at all different times.

Just because pubs are open until 1am doesnt mean people will stay there that late.

It will be very strange since you're used to all pubs shutting at 11pm. I'm not sure it'll last, and i definatly dont think all pubs will be able to open 24hours in a few years like some people are starting to think.

there are several things to consider.
1/ people only have so much in there pocket to spend
2/ work the next day
3/ police are stretched as it is.this will take more police away from other crimes.
4/ public transport will not run 24hrs at full service
5/hospitals cannot cope now,it will increase incidents
6/pubs are barely making money now.they will have to lay on more staff at bigger costs
7/pubs will actually lose trade over this
8/clubs will lose trade.a few will close.
9/it will force a price war to get punters in.this will be subsidised by the brewery owned pubs.this will force pubs to close as they cannot compete.
10/more alcohol based problems

these are questions i have heard said this week.how many are true? quite a lot unfortunately.:(

also the original intention (to stop binge drinking) it wont solve, because people will still binge at weekend as they have to work during the week so save it all for the weekend (as they do at min - mainly) just means they binge more at weekend imo

GhostWKD said:
also the original intention (to stop binge drinking) it wont solve, because people will still binge at weekend as they have to work during the week so save it all for the weekend (as they do at min - mainly) just means they binge more at weekend imo
yep. more over stretched services:(

Who's to say that will happen?

If people want to drink more before 2am they can quite easily! You'll never solve the problem of a few idiots having way too much to drink. Even if pubs shut at 9pm!

In all honesty it wont affect me at all. Since i only ever really go out in Lichfield. No wheres staying open later than it usually does, whether the pubs shut at 11pm or 1am it makes no difference because people move to a bar before 1am.

I can see the benefits of it though.

I can't really see this affecting me!

And anyway, don't you think the die-hard regulars at certain pubs are used to drunking until the silly hours in the morning, with lock-ins?

24 hours drinking is a good thing for one good reason, most trouble revolves round kick out time as everyone ends up in the streets at the same time and hammer in a few drinks before closing so go out drunk, walk same streets or stand in same taxi qu's where the trouble is.

In Scotland its a lot more liberal now as they tried a midnight curfew in Glasgow with disastrous consequences, pubs had to close by 12, clubs could no longer admit after 12, violence went up, the streets became no mans land after 12 as there were hoards of drunk folk on the streets who had been to late to get into clubs, or thrown out of pubs and stuff so angry and drunk, not good really.

Now, well Sunday Times did a survey per capita and police complaints arrests etc and Glasgow is the safest city in Britain 2004, and you can near enough drink there all night no worries.

No matter what you do, people will get drunk, this way they will not all end up on the street at the same time.

Aaron.

Back