Technical 2010 Scudo 2litre 272 series top end rattle intermittent with revs?

Currently reading:
Technical 2010 Scudo 2litre 272 series top end rattle intermittent with revs?

Does this sound familiar to anyone? It is the 2 litre 16 valve 120Hp Peugeot engine. Mileage around 125K
Recently bought as a "non runner" , been standing for some time since AA recovery, listed error codes were at the time,P1351 Glow Plug Main Relay, P1198 Fuel Pressure Regulation, P0087 Fuel Pressure Regulation.
Started fairly easily but very lumpy and misfire but not all the time, accompanied with the rattle.
I found initially that engine would start to run smoother/no misfire if I pumped the hand primer on the fuel filter, this also seemed to help the rattle slightly.
I flushed the engine and changed the oil and filter, also the fuel filter where I noticed shiny metal particles.
I then fitted a S/H Siemens High Pressure Pump as they are known to deposit metal particles, I believe from the vanes on the low pressure side (no pump in tank) which run in an aluminum housing, this appears to have got rid of the misfire, engine starts easily and revved well, warmed up etc. No road test yet.
No undue smoke and oil and water levels OK.
Checked error codes and have all gone apart from the P1351 Glow Plug Main Relay (yet to be attended to) .

Engine quiet at idle, rattle generally comes in around 1200 rpm roughly but not always consistent.
If revs held at that point, using a "stethoscope" noise appears to be across all injectors and the s/h pump area. Injector corrections vary widely at idle but 100% at around 2000rpm.
To me the sound is like a rattly timing chain, but it doesn't appear to be coming from that area.
Looking at the service book it doesn't seem to have had a lot of love since around 80K miles .
I know if unloved, wear can occur in cam chain to cam across head, also camshafts, followers etc. however noise doesn't appear to be at chain end and doesn't appear to follow cam/follows direction either.
Reluctant to throw new injectors or pump at it, as apart from the cost I have read instances where it has made no difference. Any thoughts please, apart from "take it to a decent mechanic";).

Doing a browse I see in Fiat Forum @grumpygit in 2013 had similar issue to me with my RHK 2 litre Peugeot engine, I am thinking after talking to an ex Fiat mechanic that it may be injector related, any thoughts, is he still a member?

"I have recently got knocking sound on the top end of my 2010 multijet 2.0 hdi engine.when the van is ticking over it sounds sweet as a nut but when you give it a little revs it starts to rattle.i have taken it in and had timing belt and chain done as it was thought it was the hydraulic adjuster which it turned out not be.i have been told it could be low oil pressure and advised to change oil pump and pump chain.just wondering if any one else has had this problem cheers"

Grumpygit is showing to have been active on the forum just 2 hours ago so he is still about.

I don’t know much about the engine but I know it’s a 2litre 16v double over head cam so presumably uses hydraulic lifters. If it’s not been loved and has gone long periods without oil changers or basic maintenance, then could it be a gummed up lifter? Or blocked oil channels limiting flow to parts of the engine.
The issue with it being intermittent then it’s going to be very hard to pin down. Or if it oil related you could be chasing the oil round different causes

Grumpygit is showing to have been active on the forum just 2 hours ago so he is still about.

I don’t know much about the engine but I know it’s a 2litre 16v double over head cam so presumably uses hydraulic lifters. If it’s not been loved and has gone long periods without oil changers or basic maintenance, then could it be a gummed up lifter? Or blocked oil channels limiting flow to parts of the engine.
The issue with it being intermittent then it’s going to be very hard to pin down. Or if it oil related you could be chasing the oil round different causes
I was thinking similar.. 🤔

USE might help if its been stood idle for so long

But you are obviously actually stood in front of the thing.. Getting to see the whole picture 🙂

Thanks for that.
I did run engine flush through for some time before new oil and filter regarding lifters etc.
However to be honest it doesn't sound like that sort of rhythmic ticking you get from hydraulic lifters or worn cam etc.
At tick over it runs quietly, but if you bring the revs up to around 2000rpm it can come on but not always and when I fixed the accelerator pedal at that speed and used my stethoscope the noise seemed to be across all injectors and the second hand high pressure pump that I fitted which cured the misfire but not the light rattle, so I am half way there :) .
I am going to try the fuel treatment in case it is sticky injectors, it doesn't appear to be be further into engine mechanically, rather more a noise transmitted through the injectors and common rail side.
I will see if I can contact "grumpygit".
He has just kindly got back to me and told me his was fixed by replacing the fuel pressure regulator.
My diagnostic tool shows fuel pressure so now I need to know what is the correct pressure at different RPMs.
If it is over pressurising it could make sense as at idle when engine runs without rattle it would be when pressure lowest but louder with more revs.

Just to keep you up to date, I tried a gravity supply to rule out issues "sucking " fuel from tank with no improvement and now I have fitted a new pressure regulator as @grumpygit mentioned worked for him, pressure improved especially towards higher revs, in fairness some change re noise, but maybe I am getting too fussy about it.
I may try a leak off test which involves removing the inlet manifold when I can find the motivation.
I should never have sold my old Iveco Daily's with the Sofim 2.8 TDi, simply , powerful, loads of torque and reliable 200k miles and more. Downside average 24Mpg. Though gross 3.5 tonne and towing 3.5 tonne at the same time.;)

Back