Technical 2010 Diesel 4x4 random stalling / engine cut-out

Currently reading:
Technical 2010 Diesel 4x4 random stalling / engine cut-out

onehillside

My daughter's much beloved 2010 4x4 has a wierd engine stalling / cutting out issue - usually on an up-slope, the engine stalls and cuts out. Last time it happened was on the up-ramp in a car-park - engine dies, regardless of revs, then refuses to start / completely dead. She was pushed into a space. When I (dad) arrived - connected it straight up to battery-jump-pack and she started straight away. Drove it the 20 miles home without issue, idle is fine.

Has happened before. Once when driving it completely cut-out - though I suspect that might have been linked to the fact the scuttle drains were blocked and there was about 3 inches of freezing water sloshing about. The other time, similarly when pulling up to a junction, stalled and cut-out. Though in that instance, she took key out, back in, and then it restarted.

it's got a pretty much brand-new battery. I can't reproduce the issue - will happily do motorway journey or short trip to the shops. Always seems to start on the button. It's not long been serviced. No warning lights. No other electrical issues that I can seen.

Any pointers before I hand it over to the garage?

Just by way of an update - went into the garage - they couldn't find anything amiss - tried all of the above (thanks again for suggestions)- the only thing of note was that the positive terminal clamp on the battery was a bit loose.

Car continues to work fine - will see if we get a reoccurence!

thanks again

Pull off the air filter and look closely at the injectors (it's nothing to do with stalling). If there is oil or diesel (or worse carbon) clag around the base, you need to pull the injectors before they get jammed into the cylinder head. Extracting stuck injectors is a serious pain (and expensive) so don't leave them for too long.

the only thing of note was that the positive terminal clamp on the battery was a bit loose.
Thanks for the update

Fits with the symptoms

Randomly cutting out and then not cranking
Cutting out while braking, cutting out on slopes

And starting only after using jump leads

Fingers crossed this is all it was

Back