Technical 2009 500

Currently reading:
Technical 2009 500

I'm assuming you have properly checked the rear hatch wiring even if the lights are working correctly .
There's another possibility now you have other electrical faults that is water on the bcm all the cars systems are controlled by it, this can be caused by blocked scuttle drains but I'm guessing

I took the hatch side of the wiring loom rubber connector off one end to inspect but it is limited in that the cable run there is short and the rubber connector is difficult to collapse to get a really good inspection but it seemed to be OK. It was awkward getting the bung back in but eventually got it to seat in place.What does "bcm" stand for and whereabouts is it? I will have a check of the scuttle drains but under the bonnet is dry so I reckon they are ok.

The body control module controls everything in the car unlike old cars where it was just a switch so it can throw all sorts of faults if it's faulty think it's under dash passenger side but quite buried if the drains are blocked when it rains the area under the black trim where the wipers are can fill up and it then gets into the car via the ventilation the two plastic drains poke down from the bulk head area into the engine bay, one is just behind the blue pipe the other to the left, they just pull out downwards and push back in, can be tricky to re seat

Attachments

• 16984919672893549729295715514107.jpg
    16984919672893549729295715514107.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 36
  • 16984919915067012890312720234689.jpg
    16984919915067012890312720234689.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 30
I have just gone and looked under the bonnet and can see and trace the black pipe next to the blue pipe. It seems to go into the manifold tracing with my fingers! The other picture on the right of the car is a pipe that I assume is the hydraulic clutch as it traces from a hyd. reservoir then into a unit which has a outlet pipe going across the car to the left asuuming it is going into the clutch. The area below the black plastic and in between the window screen and the engine bay is dry and it has been raining this morning to.

So I found both bungs in the scuttle as opposed to dangling down. I got the nearside one out and it had what looked like loose soil in the bottom. Not hard as blocking it but enough to slow the rain flow. The one on the right is a pain. I could not get a grip of it and it has moved out of my finger reach. Can I assume if I take off the wipers and remove the black grill I will have access to the bung?

So I found both bungs in the scuttle as opposed to dangling down. I got the nearside one out and it had what looked like loose soil in the bottom. Not hard as blocking it but enough to slow the rain flow. The one on the right is a pain. I could not get a grip of it and it has moved out of my finger reach. Can I assume if I take off the wipers and remove the black grill I will have access to the bung?
Yes the plastic "screws" are push rivets the bit with the slot pulls up to release the fixing push a knife blade in right at the top to release it

Attachments

• 20160717_153143.jpg
    20160717_153143.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 29
Thanks. As regards the reverse light. I again double checked the continuity of the wiring to the reverse switch from bulb to the switch with the switch disconnected .Two sections.The light unit itself as in the metal "wires" and then the cable itself. The wiring itself has a different colour code on the 2 core cable from the connector to the switch as against the colours on the connection which I find strange. I would have thought they would have used the same code on the run!

So I got the mesh off. The plastic rivets were two different types. One was partial as in not all there and the other was a type that was not meant to be removed so I had to cut it off. I do have a few of the type you showed so that is no problem. There was a lot of muck in the cavity especially on the right side. I reckon refitting the bungs are designed to be pushed in from the inside to as the lips on them are staggered. I am hoping the weather stays dry so that I can refit the bungs and mesh today.

So all went well with the bungs. They fit in easy and slick from the top in the cavity.
As to the reverse light not working, even though the wiring and the switch were all good, as was the light units wiring itself the reverse light still did not work. I checked the run from the front to the rear light as well as the rear to the front and they were good. The light unit wiring was good as in each light bulb circuit showed continuity so the only faulty part is the plug part of the unit. So I have ordered a second hand one off ebay for £30. Hope it works.

OK so now onto the other annoying defect. The indicator system is playing up in that once selected it works as it should i.e blinking and clicking but now and again the clicking stops leaving only the "blinking" light. Now seems trivial but once the clicking goes quiet you doubt yourself if you indeed selected the indicator! Frustrating or what. So my question is what/where is the control of the system?

I have had a look in the Haynes Fiat 500/Panda book and it seems that it could be part of the steering columns combination switch unit below the steering wheel as there is no mention of a seperate ticker unit! Any thoughts to confirm or not? Or could it be the BCM?

Last edited:
Back