Technical 2008 fiat ducanto motorhome starting problem

Currently reading:
Technical 2008 fiat ducanto motorhome starting problem

Mjv

Hi guys

2008 fiat ducanto desiel turbo motorhome starting problem.
I've put a new battery in and it would click once on the starter motor then nothing just one click any ideas.

Just would like to know if any else has any ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you

Hi guys

2008 fiat ducanto desiel turbo motorhome starting problem.
I've put a new battery in and it would click once on the starter motor then nothing just one click any ideas.

Just would like to know if any else has any ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you
If the click is actually from the starter motor, then in the old days a "gentle" tap say with the wooden end of a hammer could jar it into working temporarily. Note the word "gentle", I have seen starters destroyed by some idiot beating the sh*t out of them rendering them none repairable!
If tapped on starter body this usually indicated worn carbon brushes so springs couldn't hold the brushes in contact with the armature.
If tapped on the solenoid part of the pre engaged starter then a lazy solenoid.
In the past they could often be parts to be replaced , however less of an option on later vehicles, so may mean a new starter.
Of course all this is assuming you have a good healthy fully charged battery and the leads to the starter are good including any earthing points:)

To add to the above, a 2008 Ducato will be an x250 model. These and later models suffer from the now infamous battery earthing strap which can suffer from internal corrosion. The high starter current has to return to the chassis and eventually the battery via this strap. I have read a recommendation for replacing every 4 years, but I think that was for vehicles in fleet service.

Back