Technical 2006 Fiat Panda gearbox difference

Currently reading:
Technical 2006 Fiat Panda gearbox difference

Garthfoud

Does anybody know the difference between a 55196336 gearbox fitted in my 2006 fiat Panda and a 551963361 gearbox.

The first appears to be a Punto 1.4 gearbox (Google'd the number) the second seems to be more expensive and is clearly listed as a 5 speed. Its possibly just a newer version. Newer may be better as more evelopment could have improved it. The second is also shown as a punto box. May be if you google you can spot something from the pictures. On the newer Pandas they changed the specification of the oil so this may be something similar. I understand the oil types are best adhered to due to the chemical natire of the two oils. Something to do with the Sulphur content. What typre of Panda do you have? which engine and how many gears?

Fiat fit all sorts of parts to different cars so it may be perfectly normal fitment to a Panda.

Are you having problems or trying to replace a broken box?

Last edited:
From what I could find, I think both those numbers were fitted to Pandas, 500s and Puntos (and Ford Kas).

Diesels and petrols use different clutches, so the boxes might have some differences. @koalar might know?

Also, it seems the same 'box in the Punto uses a different final drive to the others, being a heavier car, so make sure it's from a Panda/500/Ka or the gearing will be wrong.

Last edited:
I think both those numbers were fitted to Pandas, 500s and Puntos (and Ford Kas). Diesels and petrols use different clutches, so the boxes might have some differences. @koalar might know?

Also, it seems the same 'box in the Punto uses a different final drive to the others, being a heavier car, so make sure it's from a Panda/500/Ka or the gearing will be wrong.
Diesel and petrol have completely different final drive ratios due to the difference in the rev range of each engine. Not a good chose to swap

Final drive also varies according to year and tyre size. I believe the eco is slightly different

I put a 500 1.2 gearbox into a 1.2 panda without any problems from memory 2.5k revs equals 55 mph

Flywheel is larger on the 69hp. I have not confirmed but don’t believe it affects the gearbox

Punto will fit and work okay ish. The weight and rolling difference in the wheels will not make it a good swap especially if you are driving at 70 mph. In my opinion best avoided as the panda/500 shouldn’t be too difficult to obtain

It would be ideal to put exactly the same gearbox that originally went into your car. You can set any other gearbox, but then the maximum speed, acceleration and consumption will not be what they should be. With a different gearbox, the maximum speed can be higher or lower, the acceleration worse, or let's say better acceleration but higher consumption...

Many people think that a higher ration gearbox gives better fuel consumption. In reality, they make the fuel mileage worse because the engine can never get into its most efficient rev range.
Ah but doesnt that also depend on how fast you cruise. Ive had cars in the past that irritatingly used less fuel at 80 than 70mph. I do agree with you in principle. If they spend a whole pile of time deciding what the best compromise is for each car designed I feel its not very likely that modifications will make a substantial improvement, and if you might ge tsay more speed you will pay for it somewhere else like poor economy or ride and handlingchanges that are not desirable. Trouble with gearboxesit they often look the same but are quite different internally. SImilarly I dont understand the must have a short shifter kit brigade.

Does anybody know the difference between a 55196336 gearbox fitted in my 2006 fiat Panda and a 551963361 gearbox.
Sorry, it has been a few days before I could get to ePER for a browse.

Firstly, I was surprised anyone might ask about a Fiat part number for a gearbox, as finding a new Fiat unit would be unlikely, unless a dealer had ordered one for stock and for some reason not used it.
Anyone selling a used gearbox and applying a Fiat number to it would just be applying the number they thought was appropriate, which is something to be wary of. What would be more important would be the vehicle it came from.

My version of ePER is the last available on CD.
55196336 is not a gearbox. It is the tail housing only, a bare casting into which the shafts, gears and bearings, etc. are fitted. So using this for a complete gearbox is nonsense, as the housing is used for many boxes with differing internals. If someone is selling a complete box using this number, see paragraph above.

551963361 is not found on my version of ePER. Probably a keystroke error, or someone trying to avoid issues using the manufacturer part number.

The Panda section shows the Panda 1.2 as having a 16/55 final drive, and the 1.1 having 16/57.
The internal gears appear to be the same for all 'normal' versions of 1.1 & 1.2. This excludes 4x4 and 'Eco' versions.

As the 1.1 & 1.2 models were plentiful, it looks like a gearbox from any other should be the same. There was a change internally, but the description seems to have lost something in translation, as it relates to adoption of "bosses and manifolds with shifted slots". No idea what that means, but it affects the synchro hubs.
I would suggest that a suitable replacement be chosen from a vehicle of similar age, or newer, as the later build is listed as a replacement for earlier boxes.

Back