P2100044_edited-1.jpg

1st pics of Celica GT4 ST205

Introduction

After a very long day driving up to Blyth in Northumberland from Towcester, Northamptonshire and back I collected my new toy yesterday, a Toyota Celica GT4 ST205 no. 9588 of 10000 making it a very late model Gen6 with standard 255bhp 225lb ft from its 2L 16V charge cooled twin scroll turbo getting transmitted through 4WD to the road.

Its had some subtle additions 18" OZ Super T's, C-sport front and rear lower bib spoiler a Blitz Exhaust and HKS filter which will be replaced with standard air box.

A couple of quick taster pics after washing it only, not polished yet.

P2100046_edited-1.jpg

P2100045_edited-1.jpg

P2100044_edited-1.jpg
Thanks for comments, white seems pretty rare, but once I saw one in white I had to have it.

As Arc says ST205 is first part of the chassis number on mine followed by 9588, only 10,000 built, so even V5 says ST205 - 9588 which is cool. The non GT4 versions of same basic shape are ST202's :)

I plan on doing very little to it, it has a Blitz Nur Spec exhaust system which is pretty big and very well made, and not too loud which is good, an HKS induction kit which I am not convinced on, so may go back to standard air box, or there is a modification to move battery forward and then you get straight induction run to turbo rather than have two 90degree bends which is supposed to make it feel a little more responsive, though it feels pretty good to me as is.

It also has Tein fully adjustable coil over suspension with camber adjusting top mounts at the front, feels very well planted on the road, and very pointy, & firm, though surprisingly not filling shaking loose firm. I think the torque split is 60/40 rear/front though need to check on that, but definitely doesn't feel front biased.

They do have a reputation of being very refined and TBH that's what appealed to me, someone a bit more subtle than an Impreza and less common though I do still like those as well, can't help it I love all the rally type cars from late 80's early 90's when it was really interesting to watch the integrale's, Cosworth's, GT4's, Mazda 323 Turbo's, Legacy/Impreza's, EVO's and Sunny GTiR's doing battle.

Otherwise I have just received my speedo/odometer converter from KPH to MPH which also removes limiter and getting a set of bespoke dials made for it from a fellow GT4 owner who runs this site http://www.skewer.co.uk/ and I can't help being drawn to some nice red Recaro Speed's which I know red Recaro's in white car is a bit Honda (did consider an Integra Type R, but just didn't do it), but it's the same seats I have in the integrale albeit covered in Lancia leather and after seeing this Celica GT4 interior with rare optional Recaro's can't help but feel it would finish off the car and lift the interior.

celicaredrecaros.jpg

Blyth is 5 mins from me. Dont recognize the car though.

Very nice.

friend of mine had one in silver, with allsorts of TRD, blitz and other exotic bits from the land of the rising sun.....the upshot, he would allow me a headstart of a few seconds, and rocket past in a sliver sonic boomed blur, tres cool(y)

very nice! i got 1 of these on my ramp at the mo with engine in bits doing a rebuild as a private job (lookin for 400 -> 450bhp), thou he does have the 'chavvy' spoiler extension bit, heh (that g/box and diff assembly weighs a tonne)

Looks very smart, love the white wheels with it, though it will be fun to keep clean :eek: How are you enjoying driving it? :D

Its really good to drive, you sit soooo low in it even getting back in the Sei feels like you are sitting high up, and the Ignis feels positively MPV height when going from one to other.

The car wraps around you and you forget just how big it actually is, although your view is dominated by the bonnet and its vents.

I am really enjoying it, though Jamie is right in his assumption, while I still have the Ignis I am driving that to work and back until I get time to give the Celica a full service and check out a few things as it needs a new rear diff mount fitted to stop it clunking at the rear, though got one on order and its only a 30min job to fit.

Lovely car!

How does it compare against the 'grale?

The Celica has a much much more rigid shell, you can fell the chassis flex in a 'grale. It doesn't have as fluid steering as a grale, but then I've never driven a car that does. They both handle incredibly well, but hard to be too objective on this has the Celica has Tein adjustable coil-overs and camber adjusting top mounts, and the 'grale has Koni's which are too stiff on Eibach springs so a bit miss matched, though I'd give the nudge to the grale for fact it always communicates to you what it's doing.

Its screwed together very well, plastics for the age of car are pretty good, not too scratchy. the driving position is near perfect with everything exactly where you want it, the 'grales isn't but the interior has a much better sense of theatre, the wonderful sculpted Recaro's to its hap hazard but characterful dash board with dials for everything. You sit very low in the Celica as its actually a pretty big car but it does very well at wrapping itself around you. In the 'grale you feel you are part of the car and even though the cabin is surprisingly small for a 4 door car, you always remember that outside its all swollen to the limit as you can't help but have your field of vision filled with lumps and vents.

Even though the Celicas brakes are bigger at 315mm vented all round 4 pot front and 2 pot rear versus 282mm vented front and 257mm solid rear Brembo 4pot front floating calliper rear, the grale's brakes feel the stronger.

The 'grale when all things considered is a wonderfully flawed car as it takes a 70's hatch and made it into a untouchable rally car, you can almost feel the passion running through its veins as it puffs out its chest in pride as you drive it. Whereas the Celica feels like every single small detail was considered and was engineered to do exactly what it was meant to do, if not more and as such feels flawless but devoid of passion, the passion comes from you driving it and knowing how good it is.

Hope that makes sense :confused:

Aaron.

Back