DSC_00824.jpg

Punto (Mk1) 1994 Punto Cabriolet ELX 90

Introduction

This is my recently acquired '94 Cabrio ELX, I bought it very cheap as a project to do up hopefully for the summer.

Initial Thoughts
When I went to look at the car the first time it was obvious its quite tatty. it has dents everywhere, scratches, moss growing in places etc. I took a test drive (fortunately it wasn't raining so put the top down) it is a pleasant drive, rides quite well but my main concentration was on the engine, the 1.6 is not fast... It's not slow either but its very mediocre... Secondly it has VERY short gears which I don't understand since surely the 1.6 would have longer gears than the other models yet it doesn't, in fact all the Cabrio's have shorter gears than their hardtop equivalents, presumably due to the extra weight. At 70mph in 5th the engine is spinning at just over 4000rpm :eek:

Background
The car came with the original manual which I assume is probably a rarity as many of them will have been lost/not passed on between sales. The car includes the original sales receipt from 1994 and some service history for the first 5 years of its life where it only covered about 1500 miles a year which probably meant it was a summer only car. Then there is a 9 year gap between 1999 and 2008 where I have 0 history for the car. From 2008 to 2016 I have MOT's and the odd service receipt, in those years its only averaged about 1000 miles a year too, with it passing every MOT after general serviceable items were replaced such as bulbs, worn brakes/tyres, wiper blades etc.

So here is the car as it stands now after a very quick wash,

A few months later and half a polish

Polish_Punto.jpg
Power steering has been getting noisy, whiney noises when turning the wheel stationary, I understand this is fairly normal but its pretty loud, considering changing the power steering fluid as its probably the stuff that was put in at new, anyone know where to drain the old stuff?

you get messy thats how.... lol

but basically use a turkey baster to suck all the fluid out the reservoir, then (with engine off but key in so the steering doesn't lock) turn wheel all the way one way and then the other several times, this will pump some more fluid into the reservoir, remove that with baster again.

Now comes the messy bit, you want to disconnect the low pressure line of the rack - not done this on a punto before but generally the low pressure lines has normal hose clamps on that you can remove (probably them non-reuseable ones) so you will need some new clamps whereas the high pressure ones are crimped to metal part of pipe and thats bolted down, should be obvious when you look at it. Now this will make a mess, do not say you weren't warned. You need something to catch fluid in as there will still be quite a bit in there and, lots of cardboard, maybe a big funnel, you get the idea - its MESSY!

Now get some fresh fluid and put a good healthy splurge in the reservoir, turn wheels as before engine off but keys in so it doesn't lock, loads more horrid fluid will come out - keep going until nice new fluid is coming out. Now refit your pipe with your new clamp(s).

At this point get the trusty brake cleaner and clean everything off so you can tell that its not leaking when you fill it back up.

Now fill the reservoir up right to the top, fit cap, turn car on for just a few moments so the pump pumps fluid down the lines, turn car off. Top up the reservoir again to the top, turn car on and turn wheels all the way left and all the way right a few times. turn car off, go top off the reservoir to the full and do the engine on and turn wheel again and check level. You should by know have nearly all the air out - i would normally at this point go for a drive and take fluid with me but just keep repeating the engine oon and turn wheels bit until the fluid stops going down and then your done...

As there is alot of turning wheels you may want to jack car up and put it on axle stands although technically not necessary it will make it easier ;)

Last edited:
Thank you! :worship: The process of doing it i can manage its just finding the line to drain it from but I assume it'll just lead down from the reservoir somewhere?
Fortunately I keep the cardboard boxes for all the car parts I buy so excess supply of cardboard is not a problem (y)

Yeah if you look at the reservoir there is 2 lines. Ones a feed the other the return. Follow them down to the rack. The feed will go straight to the pump and the lower pressure return usually just comes straight back upto the reservoir. Disconnect low pressure side at the lowest point there is a connection.

Thanks to possibly my favourite forum member ;), I'm hoping to check the timing myself, can this be done from above or under the car or does the wheel and subsequently the wheel arch lining need to come off?
Since I can't get the wheels off without a garage with air tools.
(Why do idiots do wheel bolts up so tight? (n))

To help free the stuck wheelbolts you could put a 19 / 17 mm socket on them and whack it inwards with a big hammer, that may shock some of the stuck components and make them easier to shift. Some plus-gas or wd40 sprayed into the bolt-wheel joint may find its way in and help to release any sticking caused by the steel and alloy bonding together.

You could try a windy-gun at a garage but otherwise try using a very high quality socket and bar, with an extension bar (scaffold pole) over it and just stand on the end and gently bounce on it a little until it frees with a loud screech or crack....

To help free the stuck wheelbolts you could put a 19 / 17 mm socket on them and whack it inwards with a big hammer, that may shock some of the stuck components and make them easier to shift. Some plus-gas or wd40 sprayed into the bolt-wheel joint may find its way in and help to release any sticking caused by the steel and alloy bonding together.

You could try a windy-gun at a garage but otherwise try using a very high quality socket and bar, with an extension bar (scaffold pole) over it and just stand on the end and gently bounce on it a little until it frees with a loud screech or crack....

yep its a wheel off job. as above, get a really big breaker bar and go from there... I know you are only little lad but they should come off, if not get a fat friend to come stand on it.

Tried all these when I tried it before, plus-gas, used half my can in the end, nope.
Hit the bolts with a hammer, nope.
Breaker bar, wouldn't shift, stood on breaker bar, sheared the end off.
Think the only way would be buying a better and longer breaker bar which I don't really need since hopefully this is the one and only thing I need a better breaker bar for, my ~£35 one has always been fine until it met these bloody wheel bolts :bang:

well you will need a decent breaker bar to get the crank pulley as thats a right mission... How long was your bar that broke? I suspect had it not have broken then that would have worked eventually.. you don't have many other options and you are gonna need to get the wheels off sometime. Only other reasonable option i can see if hiring a compressor and windy gun but really i have seen things that won't come off with air tools and the next option after than is a big breaker bar so think you should just go get a new 2.5-3 foot breaker....

Breaker bar was 1.5ft, so longer one would be ideal but irritating to buy one just for the sake of getting some over tightened wheel bolts off (n)
Cheap electric impact gun worth it, cheaper than a breaker bar which seems silly spending £50+ on for a metal bar...

EDIT: Think I may have found my problem and not something I had really considered, my socket set is 3/8" so always used 3/8" tools with them. From various forums 3/8" is not enough for wheel bolts that have been overtightened, worth buying 1/2" breaker bar and a 17/19mm (whatever the bolts are) socket?

Last edited:
its always a good thing to have though, halfords professional 2ft breaker is under £30 and being halford pro if you ever break it they will just give you a new one free of charge... ;)

An impact gun may do it but i wouldn't think any of the battery powered ones will have enough ooomph behind them tbh, maybe one you plug in - machine mart sell a 1kW jobby thats not hugely expensive that i keep meaning to buy to try but I'm yet to come across a bolt i can't get off with my breaker so not brought myself to part with money yet..

Back