1677188756264.png

600 (Classic) 1960 600 EV conversion

Introduction

Hello all... I am new to this forum and I am in the midst of converting my 1960 600 to electric. I have converted one other classic car to electric 3 years ago (1964 Corvair) and it has been wonderful. The corvair is a convertible and we drive it daily all summer (in the pacific NW). I want a classic ev conversion that will also allow us to drive year round. Thats where the 600 comes in. We are all small car fans in this fam, and this little guy is just too damn cute. I have been working on the car for about 6 months at this point, and now that I have worked out most of the big-ticket items, i thought it was time to share it with y'all.

First off, i know there is alot of controversy about converting old cars to electric. Everyone will have their own opinion on if its the right thing to do or not. I can tell you, for me, its totally the right thing to do, for many reasons. With that... lets get to it.

My goals:
- 120 miles of range
- 75mph top speed
- Safer than it was
- Looks stock
- Can still haul 4 people
- Use it all year

The major parts i plan to use:
- Hyper9 144V AC motor and controller (@ 120hp/180ft-lbs this motor is WAY too big for this car. its a long story, but its what i ended up with)
- (6) Tesla model s battery modules
- Orion2 BMS
- 2.5kW charger
- Early beetle transmission (why? well, they have loads of aftermarket support and they have been used in countless EV conversion with the motor i plan to use. out little transmissions are just too unique and unknown, in comparison).

The major things i needed to figure out right away:
- where can i stash all these batteries?
- will the motor fit in the back
- how will i manage the HVAC? (since i want this to be usable year round)
- how will i upgrade the brakes?

This first couple of posts will get after the batteries and the motor fitment.

here is the car as bought:
1677188756264.png

I bought the car in august 2022. Clearly my dog Marty is super excited about all the time i will be spending working on it, rather than going for walks. The car had spent alot of its life at the coast, so the rust is not ideal. This is my first body work project, so I dont expect it to be a show car. When i was planning this conversion, i carefully measured up where and how i could fit the (6) battery modules in the car. Most of the old Fiat conversion (mostly 500s in the UK it seems) use (3) tesla modules and place them under the bonnet and boot. The floors in this car need replacing, so i worked on a plan to place the batteries under the seats, just like modern EVs. It will keep the center of gravity low and give me space for other stuff up front and have storage in the back. Here is some cad exploration: You can see the battery module outline in orange.
1677188973641.png

So, according to my rough CAD, i could fit 4 modules across the bottom of the car, and then one additional module under each front seat, between the seat rails. It will lower the floor of the car about 1.25in and raise the seat about 1in. The new seat rails will be on either side of modules 5 and 6. Like this:
1677189217454.png

This will give me a voltage range of about 108-151V. The motor and motor controller i chose can support 90-180V, so its just right. Speaking of the motor, i made sure it will fit between the transmission and rear bumper panel. I also found a CAD model of a beetle transmission so i can work on new mounts and adapter plates. Here is how it is coming together:
1677189800457.png

Note the clearance to the back of the car and how i plan to use the existing motor mount to hang the back of the assembly from. I will also be working on getting the standard transmission mounts adapted to the car, but i am less concerned with that, at this point:
1677189865602.png

So, now that it doesnt seem totally CRAZY to fit all of this stuff in the car, I got to work taking the car apart, preparing it for a metal dip. Here are some progress pics of the tear down (note the car was originally red):
1677190398627.png

here you can see how rotted the floors were:
1677190464594.png

I also built a makeshift rotisserie out of harbor freight engine stands. I cant flip the car over completely, but i can rotate it 90deg either direction.
1677190555284.png

After completely stripping everything off of the car, it was time to haul it to the metal dip shop (in Eugene OR, totally awesome place):
1677190641567.png

When the car came back from the dip shop, i was heartbroken. i had a big decision to make... it was bad. Really bad. Should i scrap this car? I considered it. I would have to replace nearly everything. Even the doors were completely unsalvageable.
1677190955199.png

I had to source replacement doors. The only early (suicide) door i found on Ebay was 1000$. If i had to spent 2k$ on doors, this project was sunk. I decided that if i couldnt find reasonably priced doors, i was going to scrap it. Then i discovered Chris Obert down in Santa Cruz CA. He had 16 doors for me to choose from and sells them for 150$ ea. He was kind enough to take a video of each door, reviewing their health and let me choose. it was awesome. the project was back on!
While I wait for the spring spacers, I am getting after some details like the steering wheel and trim bits. I watched a great video on how to refinish a steering wheel and basically followed that process. First, clean it up and scrap out any loose junk in the broken plastic. Second, fill the gaps with a 2-part epoxy filler. Third, sand. Lastly, paint. Simple, right? Well... here are my progress pics.

After filling with the Oatey Fix-it-stick:
1712116233323.png

Sanded and ready for paint:
1712116281276.png

And after priming and painting:
1712116393007.png

I was excited how it turned out. Then I flipped it over. There is a reason i paid someone to paint my car... I seem to be bad at it. The clear coat can clearly said "2-3 light coats a few minutes apart". I swear I was doing light coats... but upon flipping the wheel over the next day... runs galore. Sheesh. I have some wet sanding and respraying in my future.
1712116559492.png

In better news, I cleaned up the badges and trim and started preparing them to put back on the car. I repainted the Abarth badge that came on the car and the Fiat emblem on the hood; they both looked tired. When I was doing body work on the car, I closed up all the trim holes in the doors and hood. I had planned to use molding tape instead. Then i saw @Bounding Bambino thread on using magnets to hold the trim on. I considered this but decided against it for fear of the magnets attracting debris and eventually messing up the paint. So, back to my original plan, which requires filling the inside of all the trim bits with epoxy so the tape has something to grab. I filled the hood trim, side trim and the nose trim. Here is a pic of the nose trim after filling the inside cavity with epoxy:
1712116917239.png

Then I put molding tape on it and stick it to the car. Easy-peasy. Here is how the nose turned out:
1712116982017.png

I think I am going to leave off the smaller trim bits above and below the mustache for now. I like how clean this looks.

And finally, here is the back:
1712117120744.png

Its really coming together!

Hello all... I have been zipping all over town in this little blue gem. It now has 199 miles on it and its a hoot. I have been shaking it down, working through issues and continuing to add finishing touches. With a few of those finishing touches, I now consider the outside of the car complete. I also have been working on interior bits, continuing to tune the brakes, brake pressure regen mapping, accelerator mapping, charging, etc... First up, the outside finishing touches, such as the mirrors, trim, and wheels/tires. As it goes on this project, the side view mirrors (specifically suicide door mirrors) did not fit on my doors. Why? no idea, but its a bummer. The door frame was too wide.
1713802775849.png

as you can see, the channel in the mirror is smaller than the frame. So, what to do? Well, I cut up the mirrors and drilled holes in the door frames to mount the mirrors. Not what I wanted to do, but I was desperate to get mirrors on the car, and not only for the cute factor, but also cuz I really use them!
1713802914398.png

I bolted them to the frame, but also put molding tape under them to keep water out. They are quite secure now, but unmovable, so I have to be ok with their position (which I am, though the passenger side requires I move my head to make use of it).

Next up is the belt line trim and the white walls. The trim is easy enough and just required some care in making sure it was in the right spot, that the car was properly cleaned for the tape, and pressing it into position. More controversially, I also added white wall stickers to the tires. I saw and have read that the snap-on style white walls suck, so I avoided them and went with the permanent style that gets applied with glue. The procedure is straightforward, but time consuming. In the end, I love them, but they took some getting used to...
1713803280153.png

I choose the size because of the tires on the car (Firestone F-560's). They have a radial feature outside of the firestone logos and tire info that seemed like a natural location to end the white wall. I did not expect them to be so bold. When they were first completed, I thought I had made a terrible mistake... but they have grown on me and more people like them than not (I have been taking a poll). So, I am fully embracing the silliness of them and really leaning into the toy-ness of this car. It has a backup bell after all, right? In the end, it may not matter much. I suspect i will be going through these tires quickly given the glorious acceleration in 1st gear. More on that later.

As for the interior, I added the convenience shelf under the dash, finished up the doors and center console. Then I got after the horn. Making a center horn button work with a removable steering wheel is not straight forward.

The doors needed plastic lining, as I had mentioned earlier. A tremendous amount of water gets into the doors, especially during a wash. I wanted to keep the door cards from getting soaked every time, and I really don't want a bunch of water getting into the car, especially given the battery locations. So, I lined the doors with plastic before using velcro to attach the door cards. Velcro? yes... it's an experiment that is working out so far. I did my best to make the plastic curtain complete, so all the water drains out the bottom of the door, through the drain holes. After washing it this weekend, I can attest it works:
1713803795653.png

and with the finished door cards:
1713803823825.png

Next up is the center console. I finally got all the aluminum knobs and sst fasteners to finish it out. I love it:
1713803901620.png

the seat heaters are fully functional, and are quite lovely. Those big wires are for them and I am not sure how best to hide them. In reality, they are not as noticeable as the picture suggests. You may also notice the carpet and center console vinyl. Both turned out nice:
1713804013077.png

The black wire and box thing is actually the GPS antenna for my speedometer driver. Under the dash, there is a box with a motor in it, designed specifically to drive old timey speedometers. One just runs a speedo cable from the box to the back of the speedometer, calibrate the box for your specific speedometer, and off you go. Its quiet and accurate. It has provisions for a GPS antenna (see above) or using a VSS (vehicle speed sensor). I have been working on getting a VSS sensor system in this car without success so far. More on that later.

The convenience shelf was easy enough. It consists of a wooden dowel (closet rod, actually) wrapped in vinyl. My awesome neighbor has an amazing woodshop, and he was kind enough to run a relief cut down the length of the dowel for the shelf on his amazeballs table saw. The ABS shelf I made slips right into the groove. Like this:
1713804323143.png

I added some left over carpet to it for extra luxury. I cut a relief in the shelf for the steering shaft and the future heater tube. I didn't even have to fasten them together. The cut was precise enough, it was a perfect press fit with the vinyl in place:
1713804426218.png

I also attempted to seal up the boot lid louvers. I did this with some left over weather stripping and a piece of ABS that attaches to the same bolts that hold on the license plate. So far it keeps water out only OK:
1713804531064.png

but the fiat now hauls groceries like a champ!
1713804571052.png

the finished trunk is certainly nice enough. I added a basket to the motor cover, so its at least somewhat useful, and I turned it into a "hood" of sorts so I can check to make sure the motor is still there:
1713804880772.png

The Fiat makes everyone smile. I am a bit weird in that I really feel like inanimate objects, like the wee fiat, have souls. This little fiat has been fighting me during this entire project. I feel it has finally started to relax and embrace the change. The corvair cooperated nicely during the entire EV conversion process. Maybe the fiat has finally learned a bit from its big brother.
1713805122604.png

Last edited:
Back