17 year old male insurance

Currently reading:
17 year old male insurance

Yeah same around here, theres a lad that i went to school with, think hes only 17 and hes driving around in a modified 1.8 golf gti and im pretty sure that 1/20 17 year olds would be able to afford that car but im pretty sure that he cant. Im pretty sure that hes fronting and not declaring mods but what can i do really?
And if it's not that it's people with jap cars importing them and telling insurance companies it's not the right spec, very frustrating.

And if it's not that it's people with jap cars importing them and telling insurance companies it's not the right spec, very frustrating.
Yeah i agree, its like they dont think they are ever going to crash or be stopped by the police, im pretty sure that if an officer stopped you and realised that you were driving a jap spec car and insurance said differently they wouldnt just let you kn your way because your "insured"
I see what you mean, people like that don't deserve to be on the road!
Totally agree, i hope he runs it into a ditch and writes it off or that he runs into one of his mates thats doing the same, 2 birds 1 stone that way :eek:

Insurance really needs to be sorted out, I think they should scrap the named driver somehow to be honest.

And that'd help the hundred of thousand genuine people how? I'm named drive on dad's Panda, but got my own policy on my own car, so am not fronting, and this would screw me over, same with mum being insured on dads car and dad on mums.

They are supposed to be changing it next year, not just the difference between male and females, but rather than basing it on the driver, they are going to start basing it on the car :) which should help some if not a lot of people out.

Thats what they already do. Its all statistic based on A) the driver and then B) the car ;)

i say insure it by the car and you have to state who might drive that car

that then has a direct impact on the price of insurance

Is that not what being a named driver is?

Policy holder: Member 'A' in my household may possibly drive the car.
Insurance co: Ok sir, we'll add them as a named driver - That'll be a further £139 on your policy to pay then please.

And that'd help the hundred of thousand genuine people how? I'm named drive on dad's Panda, but got my own policy on my own car, so am not fronting, and this would screw me over, same with mum being insured on dads car and dad on mums.

Thats what they already do. Its all statistic based on A) the driver and then B) the car ;)

Is that not what being a named driver is?

Policy holder: Member 'A' in my household may possibly drive the car.
Insurance co: Ok sir, we'll add them as a named driver - That'll be a further £139 on your policy to pay then please.

i mean the insurance will be a set amount for a particular car that will then go up depending on the person say someone with a ton of experience no accident no points etc it would go up by next to nothing

add another person that has only just passed there test and it goes up a hell of a lot more

it doesn't matter who drives the car more but having your 17 year old kid on your scooby's policy wont be cheap

thats just my outlook on things

i also think experience should be gained in miles but thats another story

hear we go again :rolleyes:

fronting is ilegal you will get caught and its not worth it

oh and 'unless you are careful and don't crash' is just plain lol worthy

Right fronting is illegal and I was fronting, I din't get caught - even when I'd crashed, so it was worth it. I guess I shot myself in the foot when I said don't crash. And well if you would rather pay 4 grand on insurance for your first car be my guest, whether people like it or not it makes your insurance a hell of a lot cheaper. It's not your problem and it's everybodys choice to either do it or not, it was worth it for me anyway.

Wrong wrong wrong! I can find out within a few minutes over the Police radio doing basic checks.

You'll also won't get your own NCB, so it will be more expensive in the long run.

Bottom line is, can't afford to drive legally? Don't drive!

I hope you get found out, I'll provide the lube for you!

Yeah NCB for my first year I was prepared for that and I wasn't bothered

See if you're being serious, I'll give you my postcode ;)

Like I said before, I did crash the car, and my insurance did cover me for that accident, I'm aware I'm getting bad responses from people here but if I have the chance to elaborate I will add that it was my brothers idea in the first place and that I'd actualy went to look at a fiat bravo with the intention of insuring it myself the day I got "fronted" by my older brother! And another thing I'll add is that the astra belonged to my dad who was disqualified for drunk driving (something I'll never do!) and was just sitting there so it seemed a logical idea to be insured on that, though the idea of being fronted was NOT mine! So I didn't get caught, I'm now on Admiral multicar with my brother, him on his leon fr and me on my 1.2 stilo - my OWN insurance, which btw is only £800 (with a claim and 0ncb to boot), so if I have a chance to redeem myself here I'll give you the advice of not "fronting" your insurance, but rather get your family on admirals multicar as that seems to really bring down your premium!

Yeah NCB for my first year I was prepared for that and I wasn't bothered

See if you're being serious, I'll give you my postcode ;)

Like I said before, I did crash the car, and my insurance did cover me for that accident, I'm aware I'm getting bad responses from people here but if I have the chance to elaborate I will add that it was my brothers idea in the first place and that I'd actualy went to look at a fiat bravo with the intention of insuring it myself the day I got "fronted" by my older brother! And another thing I'll add is that the astra belonged to my dad who was disqualified for drunk driving (something I'll never do!) and was just sitting there so it seemed a logical idea to be insured on that, though the idea of being fronted was NOT mine! So I didn't get caught, I'm now on Admiral multicar with my brother, him on his leon fr and me on my 1.2 stilo - my OWN insurance, which btw is only £800 (with a claim and 0ncb to boot), so if I have a chance to redeem myself here I'll give you the advice of not "fronting" your insurance, but rather get your family on admirals multicar as that seems to really bring down your premium!

Don't you have a brain of your own? That said, I've just seen that your dad got done for drink driving...sounds like a great family of law abiding people :LOL:.

Hopefully it will catch up with you one day ;).

I have just got a quote for my 17 year old son. He has just got an 07 plate Grande Punto and the quote was for £2000 with I-Kube for Fully Comprehensive. Unfortunately he will have to have one of the boxes fitted to the car but this quote was far cheaper than any other that we have had.

MarkThompson4 the amount of crap your spouting is actually amazing

just because you was incredibly lucky and got away with it once doesn't mean you would again and not everyone will be as fortunate

just because your brother said its okay and makes it cheaper doesn't make it okay to do so and for your information yes it is my problem and every other motorists because as stu said i don't want an uninsured driver hitting me or anyone else because when they do it pushes everyones premium up

you are right however that i wouldn't pay 3 or 4 grand for insurance but i wouldn't front i just wouldn't drive

i forked out £1200 when i passed my test and its now just over £600 with 2 years NCB

I have just got a quote for my 17 year old son. He has just got an 07 plate Grande Punto and the quote was for £2000 with I-Kube for Fully Comprehensive. Unfortunately he will have to have one of the boxes fitted to the car but this quote was far cheaper than any other that we have had.
I was thinking of mentioning this to my mum and dad, but I'd rather have the freedom, I know it sounds stupid, but more than likely I would want to drive after the hours that they specify, is a really good idea though!

Back