General 17" Alloys

Currently reading:
General 17" Alloys

Maxcaddy

I have these wheels,

P1020539.JPG

P1020539.JPG

There isn't a Fiat name on the casting, it just says TORA C573, but are these the 'Claw' ones ?.

Attachments

• P1020538.JPG
    P1020538.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 38
Many thanks (y)

The Tyres n are good for tread but obscure makes (3 different). I'm thinking about getting 225/45's instead of the 215's for a bit more wall height and commensurate rolling radius.

Anyone else tried that size ?

I’m not a tyre expert but I have the 215/45 on the claw wheel as you, I thought the 225 was width, and 45 height, so not sure what wider would change, I know with the set up I have I would describe the ride as robust.IMG_4480.JPG

I try to avoid experts, as whilst they can be/are supreme in their fields, they can be total numptys in a different field. Bit like everybody has an opinion etc :D.

Anyway, this link gives a flavour of what can be achieved without going to extremes
https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?wh...45-17X7ET45&fcl=50mm&wcl=30mm&scl=50mm&sr=0mm

The 4 mm wall height difference is less than what you would get by simply wearing your tyres down naturally. There is a generous range of tyre sizes that can be fitted to a specified rim, and I have experienced as big a driving change from using different tyre brands, as I have with slight changes to tyre size.

Some tyres like these would give you a better ride https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?wh...55-17X7ET45&fcl=50mm&wcl=30mm&scl=50mm&sr=0mm

Unfortunately, getting hold of odd size Tyres can be expensive, and I think that 225/45 is even more common than 215/45, and hence there are some good deals to be had :).

I’m not a tyre expert but I have the 215/45 on the claw wheel as you, I thought the 225 was width, and 45 height, so not sure what wider would change, I know with the set up I have I would describe the ride as robust.View attachment 205797

The 45 isnt a mm..measurement

Its a % of the width ;)

Known as 'aspect ratio'..

Hope that makes sense

Attachments

• P1020540.JPG
    P1020540.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 31
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I did mine with gel dimes from eBay, they where cheap and a few years have gone by and they are still going strongIMG_3865.JPG

Neat :), what did you use to cut the centres out ?. I was thinking of clamping them on my pillar drill and using a multi hole type cutter.

In a perfect would I would softly hold them in a lathe chuck, and bore out the centres. In my shed it's a bit more basic :D

I have a similar faded (and cracked) badges problem with my Stilo's centre caps... but so far I didn't actually do anything about it.. but I want to get the wheels refurnished this year and the caps would show the wheels up, so they need a solution.

The badges seem to be plastic-welded into a hole in the centre of the caps.. though I'm reluctant to be sure... all the manufacturer would need to do is produce a flat faced cap and glue the badge into a recess.

But if you look on the back of the cap it looks like the badge has been bonded in place in an existing hole in teh cap... although this could be a red herring and it might just be a rough casting etc.

So.. this ^ has led me 2 possible solutions;

a) Drill out a hole in the centre caps that's 50mm etc. and fit regular, plug-in wheel centre caps, like a regular wheel without a centre cap has.

I'm expecting that the caps would have to be glued in place, since in a cap-less alloy wheel they are pressed into a recess whereas when fitted to a centre cap, they will only be held in by the thickness of the cap's plastic. They'd be loose for sure.

b) Lift off or otherwise un-bond the badge...chip it off etc. to leave a surface that can be made smooth enough to accept a stick-on gel badge.

I'm not sure what approach is going to be the best easiest, best looking or more durable but given the flexibility of the centre cap, I'd assume that a badge that is stuck to the surface of the cap will last better than one that fits "in" it.

Interested to hear other ideas for the best solution.

Ralf S.

I just heated mine up with a heat gun and applied a degree of violence, two tiny screw drivers and some leverage, but a more scientific method would be drill a hole from the badge side small self tapper and apply the violence by hooking under the head and either straight pull or use leverage with protection to the plastic cap. I don’t recall much in the way of resistance.IMG_3775.JPG

The moulding on the rear is probably a manufacturer’s process as the badge less pic shows the surface under the blue badge. I think the glue was only on the flat parts.

Yes.. I think I would try ting the badges off the cap with a screwdriver or two, as you say.

Good idea to use a heat gun though, to soften up the glue. I'd have probably tried it without and wrecked something.. :D

In the winter my beast wears steel wheels and hub caps... and I have a couple of scuffed hubcaps somewhere. I guess the badges are held on the same way, so I'll have a try on one of those first.

If all goes wrong then the hubcaps are spare ones so it's not the end of the world.. and hubcaps seem easier to find than the specific-to-each-wheel-style centre caps anyway.

Ralf S.

There is/was a spare centre on eBay when I last looked for about£10 which could be used as a guinea pig.

However I'm waiting to get my new centres in me hand before I start chomping plastic :D

As long as the dimension are no more than 130mm x 70mm x 150mm I can print anything you like :p
I haven't worked out yet how to scan real objects in to be able to print them though, as I need a new retaining clip for my gear gaiter.
Resin printers are not the best for printing big things like this, you'd probably get a more stable build from a filament printer. I was playing around with Cinq wheel caps though, looking at ways to get cool designs on them :)

Re: 17" Alloys

Coming back to replacing the logos - I went out and bought these 55mm 3D gel logos (they are available in a variety of different diameters also) on eBay for £7 and a set of 55mm wheel caps for £5. Glued them together and they look really good. Certainly the best I've had. Certainly suitable for replacing faded ones on your current alloys.

Otherwise if you have wheels with a 50mm wheelcap diameter hole there are plenty of options for wheelcaps. The part number they go under is B632, you'll see a ton on eBay. 20200207_205154.jpeg20200207_210547.jpeg20200207_205236.jpeg

Last edited:
Back