General 17" tyres

Currently reading:
General 17" tyres

redcat

Hi the stilo jtd ive recently bought has black Abarth wheels with 215 45 17 nearly new bridgestone tyres, not lowered at all but it handles lot better than my previous jtd on standard rims and tyres, the problem is for a start theres no rim protection with these tyres they dont look wide enough for the rims what width are the abarth rims? also i reckon if i hit a pot hole id wreck the rims, and theres to much tyre noise, with 225 50 17 tyres fitted will they rub on the arches? or may be 225 45 17 tyres but i dont think theres much gain in the tyre wall size withe 225 45 17 tyres, any advice apreciated:)

These are the various rim/tyre options from the Stilo owner's manual.

Attachments

• Stilo Wheel Sizes.JPG
    Stilo Wheel Sizes.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 41
Thanks Davren it appears 215 45 17 tyres are there in the owners manual, il wait and see what other stilo owners have to say,

Hi the stilo jtd ive recently bought has black Abarth wheels with 215 45 17 nearly new bridgestone tyres, not lowered at all but it handles lot better than my previous jtd on standard rims and tyres, the problem is for a start theres no rim protection with these tyres they dont look wide enough for the rims what width are the abarth rims? also i reckon if i hit a pot hole id wreck the rims, and theres to much tyre noise, with 225 50 17 tyres fitted will they rub on the arches? or may be 225 45 17 tyres but i dont think theres much gain in the tyre wall size withe 225 45 17 tyres, any advice apreciated:)

Well, i have a stilo abarth with same size OZ wheels 17" with 215 tyres on it and the sound isn't loud at all... Honestly i know that these tyres are not protecting the wheels but you should just be careful with parking and driving anyways :) i hope this helps!

Another Abarth owner here with 17s and standard size tyres, no issues with noise here.

A lot of alloys tend to have a bit of a lip on them these days or a bit of a dish to them, so if you're going to kurb the thing you'll only scratch up the very edge of the wheel.

The stilo's alloys are very flat faced, so if you catch a kerb you're going to chew the alloys up something rotten.

Just have to drive carefully.

Remember messing with the tyre sizes can affect the gearing of the vehicle and in turn the speedometer accuracy.

Interesting just been looking at the tyre size calculator i use and taking the 215 45 17 as standard tyres the other jtd 8v options in the owners manual give 195 65 15 whichs calculates 1.6% to slow and 205 55 16 calculates 0.8% to slow, theres no speedomerter error though comparing 225 45 17 and 195 65 15, i do drive carefully but curbing wheel rims happens to us all in the end, :)

Speedos are never truly accurate anyway they will always read over to be on the safe side. Altering tyres essentially alters the gearing, as a larger circumference tyre will mean each revolution of the wheel travels you that bit further and means an increased speed.

My Audi I have to connect to a very expensive hex-can diagnostic cable with licenced Audi specific software and tell it what size tyres it has fitted for it adjust it's calculations!

If you are worried about kerbing check out a product called alloy gators. They're a rim bead that you fit as a sacrificial part in the event you accidentally meet a kerb. Avoid the cheap chinese copy items that are just soft plastic, the genuine alloy gators are not the cheapest but they're tough as old boots.

Artermis what i mean in the message above is that all the tyre options for the stilo jtd in the owners manual have a different rolling road radius, i did realise the speedometers are not 100% accurate and altering the tyre size alters the gearing, it would appear that fiat are altering the gearing with there tyre sizes them selves on the jtd model:)

Ken what width and profile tyres have you got fitted to your 18" rims?

Sinneduk no issues with rubbing on the arches with the 225 45 17 tyres then?

Back