12v oil extractor pump?

Currently reading:
12v oil extractor pump?

oldmanhouse

anyone tried one of these oil extractor pumps that run off the battery? saw them in lidl: https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/p/car-care/ultimate-speed-12v-oil-pump/p41173
and as demo'd in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIOPSBPkeWs

i was thinking about getting one of the manual hand pump extractors, but these 12v ones are far cheaper

i would probably take the drain plug out too, but get the most of it out via the dipstick tube might save some spillage as i always drop some on the driveway and spend more time cleaning the drive than changing the oil!

Last edited:
I've got a one like those it works fine when used with hot oil
It's great for pumping gearbox oil out of the cartoon and into the box especially if your heat the bottle of oil in hot water first

Must say I don't think I could bring myself to buy a vehicle with no sump plug!

My solution is a nice big metal tray with an old 5 litre oil container with the top cut out:

P1090654.JPG

Stick the car up on stands, slide the tray and container under and pull the plug - Voila! - Can't remember when I last managed to mark my slabs. Mind you, I do like the oil to be fully up to temperature before draining which means I either do it immediately after returning from visiting one of my boys or taking the car for a decent drive before draining. Just because the water temp comes up to "normal" is not enough, you need to drive around for at least 3 times as long to get a decent oil temp built up. If you do this the oil will be like water in terms of viscosity so it flows rapidly and it's surprising, on a "neglected" vehicle, how much "crud" you'll find comes out with it. Take care though, the oil is going to be very hot and you might get a nasty burn if you are careless. The metal tray - about 4 ft long and 15 ins wide - is long enough that it can also catch drips from the oil filter if I'm in a hurry and need to deal with the filter whilst letting the oil drain. I always prefill oil filters before fitting so sometimes you get a bit of spillage when fitting due to this and the tray always catches it.

In the background you will notice the blue container? It's an old 25 litre (I think) chemical container I picked up empty from a skip on a building site many years ago. I use a cut down 2 litre pop bottle as a funnel - you can see that too if you look closely - and I use it because it holds an inverted canister type oil filter very nicely so it can drain which makes subsequent disposal much less messy. I find I can get best part of a year's worth of waste oil into it (from the cars and gardening machines) so I do a yearly trip to the recycling centre.

I also have the syringe you can see at the front of the picture, here's it's box:

P1090655.JPG

I keep this exclusively for doing transmission oils and I can recommend it. It has a nice large bore pipe which works reasonably well with cold gear oils and it wasn't all that expensive.

Regarding getting the car far enough off the ground for access. When I first started I acquired a pair of ramps. I was still in college and worked at the kerbside with very limited tools and just the car's own jack. Under these circumstances they were a big asset to me but I would often find I'd got the car up on the stands only to find I needed to take a wheel off for some reason. Eventually I bought my first wee trolley jack - which I still have, but with a replacement hydraulic unit as the old one eventually expired about 10 years ago - and a couple of axle stands. Then, later, I found the cars were being built with much longer front overhangs and lower to the road and the stands couldn't be used because the front bumper hit the stands before the wheels could roll up them. So I partially dismantled the stands and welded in extension pieces to reduce the angle on the ramp section. They are now about 4 ft long! However already I had a much larger professional jack and preferred using axle stands anyway so the ramps now just gather dust in the back of the garage. Maybe I'll have a use for them one day?

P1080220.JPG

P1080221.JPG

Should have said also that one of my Garage owning acquaintances has a pneumatic (vacuum) sucker thingy - operated by air from his compressor on the venturi principle. It sucks quite well and is used a lot for brake bleeding. The problem with it for emptying sumps is not the suction source but the small diameter and lengthy tube needed to go right down the dipstick tube to the bottom of the sump. I imagine sump baffling could also frustrate the unwary?

Although not strictly necessary as Eklipze3k rightly points out, I couldn't resist another tool for the shed so picked up one of these Lidl 12v pumps. The Peli hand pumps looks nice but a bit pricey for a non-essential purchase.

For the money, it's not bad. It wasn't as loud as my 12v emergency compressor, so didn't have to annoy the neighbours for too long :D

I warmed the engine up to temperature (although I don't think the oil was particularly hot from just idling on the driveway), and it flowed nicely. I wasn't timing it but it didn't take too long to remove just over 2L from the sump. At that point, it was getting a bit slow and fiddly to get the last of it, so I just removed the sump plug as I was replacing it anyway (leaky).

I think it was worth it, for my purposes. It made the job a bit less messy as I find the subframe brace gets right in the way and getting a large pan between it and the sump plug is a pain. This way, I can pump out most of the oil, leaving just a trickle from the plug to deal with if I want to get 100% of it out.

Last day of childminding for the week today, and only a half day at that. Going to need the weekend to recuperate! Dropped into Lidl to pick up milk and bread at around 2.30 pm on our way home. Thankfully very quiet so they let us go in together (Mrs J's bad back makes carrying anything weighty, like milk, difficult) and I noticed a great big bin full of those electric pumps you mention. In case anyone local is looking for one that was the Easter Road branch of Lidl.

Back