General 1.8 sevicing & timing belt cost.

Currently reading:
General 1.8 sevicing & timing belt cost.

re: 1.8 Cambelt Service Advice Required

Hi,

I live in Chelmsford Essex and have a 5 door Abarth '52. At 70000 I started to call round for quotes for 72k service and cam belt change:

AMC (main Fiat dealer) £827
Glyn Hopkins (only just started to do Fiat in this area) £940
Stoneacre (Liverpool as sometimes travel there) £727

A & R motors Canvey Island Essex (small 2 man place) £349
This was at the rate of £35 per hour labor. I would highly recommend these guys as they were very honest pointing out things that would need to be done in the future but "still had a lot of life in them" IE not trying to rip me off for more cash there and then. The bonus was that right next door is a guy who will refurnish my 4 alloys for £170 which seemed quite reasonable too.

I was happy with the £350 price but now I read a lot of people getting it done cheaper....do Abarths cost a lot more?

PS I know nothing about what goes on under a bonnet.
PPS They guy showed me the old cam belt - it had cracks everywhere and was about to go ....don't wait until 72K!!!!

cheers JD

I was happy with the £350 price but now I read a lot of people getting it done cheaper....do Abarths cost a lot more?
A lot of people on here, including myself, took up the special Fiat main dealer cam belt change price of £150

Unfortunately the Abarth is excluded from this deal but I'd say £350 is not too bad since it includes a major service too.

mine had the cambelt done at 56.000 2.4 20v,i am now at 80.000,i was told by fiat that i should replace at 92.000 service,oh would i need to change the water pump on an abarth..

You are VERY lucky the belt didn't brake, and ruin your engine....again, the interval is recently shortened by halve by the manufacturer, because many MANY belts did brake...!!
Don't believe me at all, call the UK Fiat importer...!!
ALL DOHC (Double Over Head Camshaft) engines used in Fiat, Alfa and Lancia are to be replaced at 40.000mls or three years, whatever comes first...!!!

You are VERY lucky the belt didn't brake, and ruin your engine....again, the interval is recently shortened by halve by the manufacturer, because many MANY belts did brake...!!
Don't believe me at all, call the UK Fiat importer...!!
ALL DOHC (Double Over Head Camshaft) engines used in Fiat, Alfa and Lancia are to be replaced at 40.000mls or three years, whatever comes first...!!!

@ Peter Pick-Up

Hey Peter, I do consider myself lucky the belt didn't brake after the guy showed me it!! I think that if Fiat know it should be changed sooner they should write to all the car owners who are effected by the new 40k interval advice.

Ps I do believe you, why would I not? I come here to find out all the stuff I don't know about my car...which is everything!...from people like you who know more than me(y)

Timing belt change inervals might differ from country to country / region. I believe the intervals on my Stilo is every 3rd year. Propably due to weather conditions and 4 full different seasons in one year.

Morten.

Mercedes manage it :rolleyes: You get a letter of welcome when you buy an SL, either from a dealer or privately. The records are linked to the DVLA's database in this country. Im sure if Fiat wanted to get in touch with you, they could get a list off the DVLA in this country :)

I just went down to a local garage to get two new tyres and to get them aligned.

At the same time i got them to tell me how much it would cost to get a 48k service, and to also have a new timing belt fitted. the total COST WAS £391.81 INC VAT. i went to fiat to get a quote £700.

is £391.81 a good price for a service and timing belt?

Also found out why my petrol stilo sounds like a diesel on start up and why it sounds gruff under accerlation. The middle part of the exhaust is blowing, and needs to be replaced. has anyone else had this problem?

need your advice guys have only owned my stilo since feb and this is the first service i am putting it through.

Rich

re: 1.8 sevicing & timing belt cost.

You may be comparing apples and pears. The FIAT dealer's priice will probably include replacement of the tensioner pulleys and possibly the water pump. These are recommended to be done at the same time as the cam belt as a precaution.

my car is booked in for a service and cambelt

cost is £683:eek::eek:

however, tensioners,etc to be replaced. brake fluid changed, coolant flushed and changed , all filters and sparks changed, free mot and loan car

all from a main dealer

i know its still expensive and am comtemplating chopping it in (honda offered £1200 against a civic - 53 plate 1.6 mw)

decisions, decisions

At the same time i got them to tell me how much it would cost to get a 48k service, and to also have a new timing belt fitted. the total COST WAS £391.81 INC VAT. i went to fiat to get a quote £700.

is £391.81 a good price for a service and timing belt?

Rich

I'd check with Fiat! I thought that the cambelt change was every 72 Thou mile/5 years. That's that my Fiat lot told me! Its also on my servicing sheet.
does it vary between models? Which model do you have?

My stilo is a 5dr 1.8 dynamic, my fiat dealer ( who i can say give awful customer care :() said it needed to either 48k or 5years. And mine is a 52 plate which has done 42,000.

Think my timing belt will need done next service as well. It's well under miles, 53-plate on 33.5k, but given it's over 5 years, it'll be due the cambelt. Not looking forward to the cost :(

At my cost i know but im on 50k on a 52plate on original belt, got half way through it and its in perfect nic, so i personally chose not to replace it, i have the tensioners and belt ready but im happy leaving it fo now,

Just got my car back from Arnold Sux, although the price was half decent.

1. 32 point service.
2. MOT
3. New drop links
4. New number plates
5. Timing belt change

Total cost £405

It was £200 for the timing belt change.....

Back