Technical 1.3 diesel refusing to start

Currently reading:
Technical 1.3 diesel refusing to start

That's terrific news!
And full marks for your dogged persistence.
As a matter of interest - what diesel cleaner did you use, and how did you introduce it into the system?
Save the matches just in case, huh?

Many thanks to all those that gave me advice and support. It's been a real pain to be honest and as pointed out no obvious fault, BUT, I was given some advice years ago by an old railway engineer, he said, start with the simple stuff first, when you are sure they are OK look for the less obvious. I think it was the fuel and it just took a lot of cleaning out. The cleaner I used was some stuff I bought in the States called Techron, it's made by Chevron. I also put some diesel Rhino in as well. Just taken it for a blast and the smoke has now cleared and it seems to run very nicely. I will let it cool down and take it for another run out and fill it with some Shell or Esso fuel. Fingers crossed.
Just as an aside, I think the Panda is an absolute hoot to drive, love it, may well look for a 100bhp model or a remapped diesel, for my wife, you understand.:):)

Many thanks to all those that gave me advice and support. It's been a real pain to be honest and as pointed out no obvious fault, BUT, I was given some advice years ago by an old railway engineer, he said, start with the simple stuff first..
Just as an aside, I think the Panda is an absolute hoot to drive, love it, may well look for a 100bhp model or a remapped diesel, for my wife, you understand.:):)

Congrats.. and sound advice.(y):)

chances are that's the 1st time in years it's been PROPERLY serviced..:eek: ,and is now running as FIAT intended.;).they are NOT famed for SLOW / Boring cars:D

Charlie

f you like riding on bricks go for the 100hp.
If you like reasonable driveability in - sort of - comfort, go for the diesel.
I have mine remapped, no rear exhaust box (actually, a small plastic composite with straight-through inner stainless pipe), blanked egr and cone air filter, and it is extremely enjoyable.
If you went this route, I am sure your wife(!) would be very pleased!

Congratulations! You deserve that after all you've tried.

You'll now have to instruct your daughter on how, when and where to fill it up.

And don't forget they need a little Italian tune-up every now and again. ;)

Indeed, very pleased, we have a result but as said I would really like to know what the absolute issue was. Still, it goes, and I did give a bit of a chase round earlier, I will do the same tomorrow, then she can have it back with instructions on where to get fuel. I used some Diesel Rhino in my car and in the Panda, hoping for a result with the panda, I am sure my car is running better.

I'd strongly second what SweetSixteen said , the 100hp is not a 'logical progression' from the Multijet or even a 1.1 . Those two cars are 'perfecto' as a daily driver , the 100hp , well it's a track car for the road but it would be happier on the track .While I'm one of its strongest critics here I would acknowledge that one is reputed to have overtaken a Ferrari on a track day !
Does the stock MJ clutch not loose the plot completely with a remap ?!

Does the stock MJ clutch not loose the plot completely with a remap ?!

Although there have been many posts on here regarding slipping Panda clutches, I can only speak from my limited experience, but the clutch on my MJ does not slip. I do not tread heavy in first or second gears, but often use the power (a relative word!) in the other gears. Time will tell!

OK, well guess what, call from my daughter this morning,the Panda stopped and refused to start. I got it home and yes you guessed it the same error code P0090, WTF. I have played with it all day and still no go. I am seriously fed up with this car. I am hunting around for the spares I got when I had this problem before just to see if changing stuff around will help. I believe that there is a fuel heater in the filter housing, is this correct because I recall finding out it was not working, grasping at straws again. Wish me luck on my new journey.

Last edited:
I was warned to avoid bio diesel by the dealer when I was buying my Panda. I didn't bring the subject up and wasn't ever planning on using it though.

Bio Diesel is a great solvent. It's all fine with a clean fuel system but a car that been around the block a few times will have waxy sludge in the fuel tank.

Biodiesel will lift the sludge allowing it to block the fuel lift pump and maybe the pipes to the main fuel filter. A strong fuel system cleaner can do the same thing.

The crank sensor wont raise an ECU fault. When working - all's fine. When not working the ECU thinks the engine isn't turning so switches everything off.

Presumably you have seen this - https://www.yourmechanic.com/articl...egulator-1-control-circuit-by-spencer-clayton
If the pressure regulator checked out, a wiring fault looks likely.

Last edited:
Was it you who had gunk growing in the diesel..?

Philjay51
Is it 18 months since the last problem.?
Charlie
Gunk in the tank, no, it was very glupy, I think it had bio or cloaking oil in it and yes it was about 18 months ago. Rats.
DaveMcT, I understand the cleaning properties of Bio and made sure that I cleaned it all out last time, I read the article yesterday about the fault code, very intersecting and a little worrying. I did try to check the integrity of the wiring last time.

Last edited:
I would blow out the fuel lines from end to end and check the lift pump is working properly. A friend had a diesel Peugeot 205 that he always fuelled at his local village service station. If he ever forgot to change the fuel filter at 6000 miles it would stop the car before the next service - claggy fuel.

I recently put one of these on the bike (long list of strange seemingly unconnected symptoms - sorted).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121906385116?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

It replaces the motor reusing all the original (and costly) hanger assembly.

Another way to check the lift pump is a fuel container on a step ladder above the car so you get a head of supply to the injection pump. Connect it with fuel hose direct to the injection pump.

BTW I'm actually a fan of biodiesel, but sadly its so easy to make it badly that it's got a bad name for causing problems. Its not the BioD that's the problem is failure to clean the old Dino diesel clag from the fuel tank and failure to properly clean the BioD before selling it on.

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I once owned a renault kerax 12.7 litre truck that was common rail. Fault code was low fuel pressure. Was loosing power then refused to start. It was an algae in the fuel tank that traveled down the fuel lines and totally clogged the fuel filters. Had to remove the fuel tank and steam clean it, renew the fuel pipes to the filter housing and new fuel filters. Then added a fuel additive to kill any remaining algae.

Last edited:
<SNIP>

BTW I'm actually a fan of biodiesel, but sadly its so easy to make it badly that it's got a bad name for causing problems. Its not the BioD that's the problem is failure to clean the old Dino diesel clag from the fuel tank and failure to properly clean the BioD before selling it on.

Actually BioD, even the commercial stuff can cause problems in some cars. All liquid fuels are complex mixtures and actually not that well controlled in terms of composition. some components can make seals swell, some can make them crack or dissolve. and that's just for starters. A car that has been run on a fuels that causes seal swelling can have leaks if the fuel is changed but would be fine if run on that from new. The same model car with components from a different manufacturer or batch can give problems that don't affect others. It's a bit of a minefield. The addition of alcohol is a particular issue.

I have checked the filter under the bonnet, but I am beginning to think that there may be more that I need t address. Today I tried a spare set of sensors for the fuel rail I had kicking around, no go, so tomorrow, open up the tank and have a look. It took me ages to get it running last time and it concerns me that the problem has returned, I think that once running the Panda and I will part company.

Hi, hoping somebody may be able to help me, my copy of AutoData has died and i need a copy of the ECU pin outs. Is there anybody able to post up a copy please.

Back