Technical 1.2 8V to 16V conversion. What's needed?

Currently reading:
Technical 1.2 8V to 16V conversion. What's needed?

Hi. So after breaking the oil pump I am thinking, if we are having to take the engine out (maybe) then how easy would it be to do an engine swap from either a sporting or a 85 sx engine (both the same 16v engine).
Is it simply a straight switch over?
Any advice would be great. Thanks!
Dan:yum:

I think your wrong tbh Beau, why would you need a new gearbox, as long as you have you you're gong places

Yes you'll probs need the engine loom and ECU, the fuel pump, likely the 8v one wont produce enough pressure obviuosly any ancillaries that need replacing/purchasing too, like the oil pump. not many engines come with all ancillaries like alernator, power sterring pump(if required)

Should find it to be an easy bolt in job, mounts should all line up nice and easy ad gear box should line up too. If its possible and easy(ish) in a panda, it's a doddle in a punto

I thought they were bad for insurance anyway :p

I think your wrong tbh Beau, why would you need a new gearbox, as long as you have you you're gong places

Yes you'll probs need the engine loom and ECU, the fuel pump, likely the 8v one wont produce enough pressure obviuosly any ancillaries that need replacing/purchasing too, like the oil pump. not many engines come with all ancillaries like alernator, power sterring pump(if required)

Should find it to be an easy bolt in job, mounts should all line up nice and easy ad gear box should line up too. If its possible and easy(ish) in a panda, it's a doddle in a punto

I thought they were bad for insurance anyway :p
16vs eat differentials and they are uprated over the 8v models.

i dont think an 8v gearbox will last long at all.

that was my last gearbox- lol

Attachments

• S7000799.JPG
    S7000799.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Last edited:
i agree with beau...

think about it... they made a different gearbox for the 8v compared to the 16v, why would they do that if it wasn't needed...

if you do go ahead with the conversion, get a 16v gearbox aswell, might aswell do it all in 1 go instead of fcuking up the 8v gearbox then having to rip everything out again...

I'm also with beau :eek:

IIRC you havn't passed your test yet? So your insurance is going to rocket as it is when you pass, let alone with an engine conversion.

Also the mk1 8v is an awsome little engine and i had loads of fun with mine :) Ideal for learning to drive (I mean real learning, once you have passed your test)

I found out, When changing gears in the 85 sx It only goes to about 50mph in 2nd not like my cabrio that did 60 and doesnt hit 30mph in 1st like my cabrio. Really is shocking doesnt feel like a fast 16v, just like a 8v

Last edited:
And can I just say, the thread was to ask about the engine conversion, not about what i SHOULD do.
I wanted information from people who have done research or done a conversion before. Not advice on what I should do... my insurance is for me to worry about..
Where's mike salt when you need him

Back