General 1.2 16v mk1 rattles.

Currently reading:
General 1.2 16v mk1 rattles.

trust123

thought it was theheat shield causing a rattle.now removed.only rattles at 2500rpm.below or higher the rattle disappears.check exhaust box,rattle is aroun the downpipe,sump,gearbox area.even can hear it if you put your ear close to the intake manifold.big ends normally sound like knocking,thumping,but this is a rattle noise.like a loose piece of thin metal vibrating.pas pump sounds ok.alternator sounds ok.has notice the starter motor is very noisy when you start up.will inspect it the weekend,could there be something worn and touching the flywheel.its in the right area.anyone else have come across this before.engine has been serviced throughout its life.have done an oil change as well.100000miles on clock..thanks

Last edited:
the front pipe has a bracket on it bolted to the underside of the gearbox bell housing these always rust through and rattle you can remove them without a problem they don't do a great deal i rarely see a punto with this bracket in one piece

May be the same heatshield you refer to, but my mk1 sporting rattled really badly at certain rpm.......i bent the thin piece of tin in front of the airbox / radiator housing and that actually cured it. Turns out there is only a bolt in the centre of it holding it in place, thereby it can flex and cause a rattle......

133k miles and had starter / alternator replaced recently.

ran engine without alternator,power steering pump connected.still the same.remove timing belt covers,found that the belt was rubbing into the cover.also listen to the tensioner pulley.bearing sounds really rough,will be changing on saturday.let you know the out come.

May be the same heatshield you refer to, but my mk1 sporting rattled really badly at certain rpm.......i bent the thin piece of tin in front of the airbox / radiator housing and that actually cured it. Turns out there is only a bolt in the centre of it holding it in place, thereby it can flex and cause a rattle......

133k miles and had starter / alternator replaced recently.

no not the same

didn't think mk1 16v had a heat shield may be wrong I have only seen one and don't remember one maybe someone took it of for said reason

i know 8v don't

update.one garage told me it could be cam,another one said not to worry,engine ok.cam belt was changed 20000 miles ago by a garage for previous owner.took cam covers off.put a long screwdriver onto the nut of the cam tensioner,and my thumb over the handle,put ear to the thunb knuckle,could tell straight away the bearing was noisy.bought cam kit from ebay,replaced all.old tensioner rattle.and when you spun it.you could hear the ball bearings spinning.engine sweet as a nut know.

Back