Technical 1.1 2006

Currently reading:
Technical 1.1 2006

Wasgehabendas

1.1 2006 - Starting problem

A few days back I bought a Fiat Panda on 50k miles.

When I try to start the car it stalks immediately unless I push the gas pedal on high revs for at least 2 times.

It hasn't been used for 6 months - year. Maybe 4-5 times during that period. In licensed FIAT service they didn't tell me that anything with electronics is wrong.

I didnt have a chance to change the oil and filters yet. Maybe battery problem? But I am assuming on the ignition cause when I turn the key and the lights are getting on, the second move which is supposed to turn the vehicle - it can't go further sometimes.

Last edited:
Does sound like the battery.

Not sure why as while the engine is on idle the alternator is pumping out over 14 volts

But i have jump started one with a faulty battery. It would stall unless you kept the revs high for a few minutes

How long had the car been parked before you bought it? The fuel itself can go off and is worse if the level is low. This will make the engine run as if it needs the choke pulling out (not possible of course on a modern car).

Jump leads to a known good battery will prove if you have a battery problem.

Thank you guys. I went to a battery diagnostics and it showed as dead ("Bad and replace"). Then I changed the battery with a new one and now I don't have any problems with starting the engine.

Well done :slayer:

Just for completeness. When a battery is suspect, it's often not enough to simply use jump leads to a good battery. If the old one has internal damage it will still pull the voltage down. Batteries often fail with a cell going short circuit or even reverse polarity. These might even be able to start the car but will cause electrical issues due to the low voltage.

Always disconnect the old battery and try again with jump leads to the cable ends. If that works properly, you have proved the old battery is dead.

Last edited:
Back