Technical 0180 fuel temp sensor 2004

Currently reading:
Technical 0180 fuel temp sensor 2004

mikejagger

Hi, have a 2004 2.8JTD camper with P0180 and P0235 showing. I realise the 0180 fuel temperature sensor may be a red herring in my current limp mode problems but I struggled to find anyone selling this part. I have just been told by a Fiat parts department that its integral with the filter housing (canister type) and is now discontinued! Anybody encountered this and found a solution?

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forum.

I am assuming that you have proved that the sensor is faulty, and that you do not have a wiring fault.

The ECU uses the fuel temperature to compensate for fuel density, so if it cannot "see" the sensor, then perhaps it will go into limp mode.

I have carried out some research, and find that Fiat eLearn is inconsistent regarding the fuel temperature sensor. I have previously noted that it is not even shown on some engine management wiring diagrams for the 2.8jtd.

I cannot find any details for the sensor under the 2.8jtd heading, but the 2.0jtd uses the same ECU, Bosch EDC 15C7. Details are given for the fuel temperature sensor on the 2.0jtd. 2400 Ohms at 25C, decreasing to 270 Ohms at 80C. Perhaps a temporary resistor of 1000 ohms plugged into the sensor connector at the filter housing, would prove that the sensor failure is the cause of the limp mode. ANY SUCH TEST WOULD BE AT YOUR RISK.

For a more permanent replacement perhaps a used item like this from Ebay? Do check as to how the pipework can be reconnected.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forum.

I am assuming that you have proved that the sensor is faulty, and that you do not have a wiring fault.

The ECU uses the fuel temperature to compensate for fuel density, so if it cannot "see" the sensor, then perhaps it will go into limp mode.

I have carried out some research, and find that Fiat eLearn is inconsistent regarding the fuel temperature sensor. I have previously noted that it is not even shown on some engine management wiring diagrams for the 2.8jtd.

I cannot find any details for the sensor under the 2.8jtd heading, but the 2.0jtd uses the same ECU, Bosch EDC 15C7. Details are given for the fuel temperature sensor on the 2.0jtd. 2400 Ohms at 25C, decreasing to 270 Ohms at 80C. Perhaps a temporary resistor of 1000 ohms plugged into the sensor connector at the filter housing, would prove that the sensor failure is the cause of the limp mode. ANY SUCH TEST WOULD BE AT YOUR RISK.

For a more permanent replacement perhaps a used item like this from Ebay? Do check as to how the pipework can be reconnected.
Thanks for that, will check the resistance as advised (not sure which plug is the heater and which the sensor). I suspected the limp mode, preceded by red light coming on a few times under load, was to do with the other code- turbo pressure sensor . I have replaced that but code still showing. Van has only 30K and really good condition under the bonnet and I am dumbfounded that Fiat would make a £10 sensor part of a housing that the aftermarket wont touch and then stop supplying it?? There are loads of these models in use across europe in campers still.😡

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
sensor). I suspected the limp mode, preceded by red light coming on a few times under load, was to do with the other code- turbo pressure sensor . I have replaced that but code still showing. Van has only 30K and really good condition under the bonnet and I am dumbfounded that Fiat would m
See attached extract from eLearn. You can access a large part of eLearn for the 2.8jtd here. Some of the longer desciptions are cropped, and useful info is therfore missing.

I doubt that Fiat made the filter unit. It would be a bought in component, as is the UFI filter on my 2006 2.8jtd, which has about 35K.

Attachments

• 2.8jtd Fuel Filter.pdf
    191.9 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
See attached extract from eLearn. You can access a large part of eLearn for the 2.8jtd here. Some of the longer desciptions are cropped, and useful info is therfore missing.

I doubt that Fiat made the filter unit. It would be a bought in component, as is the UFI filter on my 2006 2.8jtd, which has about 35K.
That's useful, tells me which one to target! It also says that in summer temperatures the sensor and heater are presumably redundant so I cant see they would be causing my problem? It runs fine till it gets to a long uphill stretch. Lift off the throttle and the light goes out but on a long climb you cant lift off! I put a new Bosch pressure sensor on and avoided the really cheap ones but.....

That's useful, tells me which one to target! It also says that in summer temperatures the sensor and heater are presumably redundant so I cant see they would be causing my problem? It runs fine till it gets to a long uphill stretch. Lift off the throttle and the light goes out but on a long climb you cant lift off! I put a new Bosch pressure sensor on and avoided the really cheap ones but.....
One of the first things to suspect when you have boost pressure problems is a stuck turbo wastegate. This problem is particularly relevant to motorhomes etc. which can be static for long periods. Your symptoms above are typical of this problem. Unfortunately the turbo is not the easiest to access on the 2.8jtd.

Doh, that is a really good call! I haven't been thinking mechanical due to the condition of it. I just did the timing belt, I do hope the wastegate is easier to access than the auxilliary belt adjuster!
Will investigate tomorrow, many thanks.

I think you were spot on. The pivot on the arm of the turbo vane adjuster looked corroded. Gave it some wd, a tap and a wiggle, touch wood it seems loads better and no light on thus far.
Thank you so much!

Back