Register Login
endrop - for all your online needs
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-04-2006   #1
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bristol
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
Can anyone suggest......

Morning,

Recently bought Stilo Active 02 plate. Revs keep what I call 'pulsing', where they keep dipping to below500 then over 1000 and almost staling. This in turn has caused me to stall on several occasions now.

I've taken the car to my Fiat dealer (not the garage I bought it from), for them to diagnose and fix. They told me the car was 'hunting' and that it needed a new pressure sensor, they now tell me they dont think its that and they are double checking their equipment as it might be faulty!!!

They've had the car a week now, can anyone suggest what the cause of this problem might be so I can tell those nice people at the garage !!

Thanks for listening.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

serebro33 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 05-04-2006   #2
PNL
Banned
 
PNL's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: In my house
Posts: 13,715
Thanks: 243
Trader Rating: 0
PNL has donated!
United Kingdom 
Cool Re: Can anyone suggest......

Hi to you this is a commn fault on the early stilos you probably need what is called a Flash ECU up date this will tell you what the problem is good luck fellow stilo owner
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

PNL is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 05-04-2006   #3
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,291
Thanks: 19
Trader Rating: 0
activematt has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Can anyone suggest......

Sounds exactly the prob ive got with mine, its going into Fiat tomorrow to have the air pressure sensor replaced so i'll let you know if it sorts it.

Have you had any engine warning lights yet?
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

activematt is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 07-04-2006   #4
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bristol
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
Re: Can anyone suggest......

Got it back yesterday and they changed the presuure sensor and told me that the air filter had been modified at some point and therefore they advise that they thought the modified filter was contributing to the problem. I asked why it would be modified and he said it was to make the car sound more 'meaty'. I know exhausts are modified to create this type of sound but not an air filter. They said they can confirm for sure that this is contributing to the problem as its not a Fiat product and therefore they cant touch it, but I can take it back in foir them to replace it for an original filter!!!

Well I still have the problem but not as much so will see how I get on.

No, no warning lights but Fiat seemed to think there should be!!


Knightmare !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

serebro33 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 07-04-2006   #5
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 527
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Can anyone suggest......

Welcome to the uncertain, murky world of Fiat.

If you have only had the car a week, then can you not return to where you bought it and get them to fix under the warranty? If it was a car dealer (of any sort) then they have to give you a warranty by law of at least 3 months. Anyway this would also be covered under the 'Merchantable Quality' part of statutory law
__________________
Ciao - 1.6 Fiat Stilo, Konnichiwa - 2004 Mazda 6 2.0 D(137) TS.
2004 1.8 Vauxhall Vectra - 5 Door
1974 3.5 V8 Triumph Stag - 2 Door
Stilo_ste is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 07-04-2006   #6
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Cluj-Napoca
Posts: 93
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
mscortar has donated!
Romania 
Re: Can anyone suggest......

Quote Originally Posted by serebro33
Got it back yesterday and they changed the presuure sensor and told me that the air filter had been modified at some point and therefore they advise that they thought the modified filter was contributing to the problem. I asked why it would be modified and he said it was to make the car sound more 'meaty'. I know exhausts are modified to create this type of sound but not an air filter. They said they can confirm for sure that this is contributing to the problem as its not a Fiat product and therefore they cant touch it, but I can take it back in foir them to replace it for an original filter!!!

Well I still have the problem but not as much so will see how I get on.

No, no warning lights but Fiat seemed to think there should be!!


Knightmare !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Air filters (boxes actually) can also be changed to alter the sound of the engine; there's a special part of the box called resonator which alters it; so it might well be your case.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

mscortar is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 07-04-2006   #7
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bristol
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
Re: Can anyone suggest......

I did buy a two year warranty but when Fiat phoned up to see if it was covered they said no.

With regards the air filter (or box), is this something I can change (not that I'm very car minded), or can I take it to my local garage for them to do.?

While I'm on the subject of my darling Stilo, my wipers seem to have a mind of there own and stop where ever they like. I then have to wait about 10 secs before they play ball nad behave. Again, can I do tsomethjing here (apart from have the car put down !
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

serebro33 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 07-04-2006   #8
PNL
Banned
 
PNL's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: In my house
Posts: 13,715
Thanks: 243
Trader Rating: 0
PNL has donated!
United Kingdom 
Cool Re: Can anyone suggest......

Imo I think their trying to get more money out of you by replacing the filter back to the original spec lots of people on this forum have converted their induction system and this is the first time iv heard this mentioned can you take a pic of this air filter for us this could make it a little clearer and easier to help you
.Now the wipers sound very much as though you have a rain sensor fitted to you car is your car an Active or Dynamic you can see the sensor on the outside of your windscreen just where the interior mirror is stuck to the windscreen
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

PNL is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 07-04-2006   #9
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Blackburn, Lancs
Posts: 457
Thanks: 3
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Can anyone suggest......

Mine did exactly the same, followed advice on the thread below and fixed it! I don't think it has anything to do with the ECU though.

https://www.fiatforum.com/stilo/55681-stalling-problems.html
__________________
WAS: 1.6 16v Active Sport, Powerflow twin exit exhaust, Custom Pipercross Induction kit, lowered on Eibach shocks and springs, 17" Wolfrace alloys, Headlight masks, HID's, Front upper OMP strut brace

NOW: Seat Leon FR+ 150TDI with remap - 200bhp & 306lb/ft!
StiloSport is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 09-04-2006   #10
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bristol
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
Re: Can anyone suggest......

well its booked back into Fiat (Simonstone of Bristol) on Monday after a rather angry call to their Service Manager on Friday.

I have to admit I quite like the meaty noise from this so say modified air box, but if thats whats casing the problem, then it will have to go.

I refuse to take it back to the garage where i bought it from as it just proves to me that all dealers ae sharks
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

serebro33 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 09-04-2006   #11
PNL
Banned
 
PNL's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: In my house
Posts: 13,715
Thanks: 243
Trader Rating: 0
PNL has donated!
United Kingdom 
Cool Re: Can anyone suggest......

Quote Originally Posted by serebro33
well its booked back into Fiat (Simonstone of Bristol) on Monday after a rather angry call to their Service Manager on Friday.

I have to admit I quite like the meaty noise from this so say modified air box, but if thats whats casing the problem, then it will have to go.

I refuse to take it back to the garage where i bought it from as it just proves to me that all dealers ae sharks
can you describe the type of filter you have fitted to your car is it a black box under the battery tray or a cone connected to the pipe coming from the throttle body a pic would be good
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

PNL is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 14-04-2006   #12
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Newport, South Wales
Posts: 57
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Can anyone suggest......

Quote Quote:
Knightmare !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Did this guy service your car?

__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

rhyst is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 28-04-2006   #13
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Kent
Posts: 158
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Can anyone suggest......

Quote Originally Posted by serebro33
Morning,

Recently bought Stilo Active 02 plate. Revs keep what I call 'pulsing', where they keep dipping to below500 then over 1000 and almost staling. This in turn has caused me to stall on several occasions now.

I've taken the car to my Fiat dealer (not the garage I bought it from), for them to diagnose and fix. They told me the car was 'hunting' and that it needed a new pressure sensor....
Quote Originally Posted by PNL
Hi to you this is a commn fault on the early stilos you probably need what is called a Flash ECU up date this will tell you what the problem is good luck fellow stilo owner.
See, now a couple of my recent problems all come together.

I had that up and down rev's bit recently. It was erratic in its 'appearance' too. I took her in on a warning light and they put it down to oil in the sensor. The rev's settled again, then the light come back again together with the rev's problem.

I took her in again, and Fiat stated they 'did an ECU uodate" and now she's running sweet. ****touches lots of wood***

I did not point out the rev's problem to the dealer as it never happened when I got close to them, so its cured without telling them directly.

Anyway, my journey with these damned lights just proves the sensor and ECU update point as above....
__________________
Jay
Grand Scenic & Suzuki 600 Bandit Owner
Previously a 52 Reg 1.6 Stilo owner
stilojay is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can i suggest something... christopher watson Leisure Lounge 7 13-11-2005 18:14
Amping 6x9's..what would you suggest peterp I.C.E 3 12-07-2004 21:51