General K&N 57i

Currently reading:
General K&N 57i

100HP

Hi

Anyone fitted the K&N 57i kit to thier 100HP????
Am thinking of this mod or making my own induction kit.

Cheers

Any idea of the cost????
and am currently designing my own so might carry on with that then!!!

something like £140. or about 200 euor's as i've only seen it on german websites. the gsr kit doesnt cost much more, and works also, which is a bonus.

K&N is mickey mouse and only used by cartoon characters :D
K&N make a lot of filters and are always quick with new filters for new cars. because of this they sell a lot and therefore can sell quite cheap. because everyone has had a 57i induction kit, they are assumed to be crap. its a shame then, that they are actually crap as well. they do sound nice though and maybe their typhoon and air charger kits are better.

The K&Ns with the mushroom filter do not give any meaningful gains, except an awful lot of noise!

Presently got the Novitec Maxxair on the 100hp and it really does a much better job compared for the K&N for a very similar price :cool:

I have had experience of K&N filters on a few previous cars.. sound great, but that is it really. Big negative effect on a E30 320i (especially at slow speeds and engine revs). Equally as rubbish on a VX220.

You usually get a lot more hot air entering the inlet which is never good.

More for noise and engine bay looks if you ask me.

It will not have been 'developed' for the 100hp as such, just the same old K&N filter with a different mounting kit.

If you do go for one, please post your findings.. All cars/engines differ and you may get some improvement.

MED.

In all fairness I have to say that the K&N mushroom filter can ultimately flow more air than the GSR induction kit. But even then the GSR induction kit gives more power. The reason for the higher performance figures of the GSR kit is that it is designed not only for a moderate flow but even more so using the puls charge effect, which helps to increase the volumetric efficiency at rpm that are realistic on the standard or fast road engine.

The K&N will show its advantage well over 9,000rpm where the air is moving so fast that the puls charge effect doesn't come into effect anymore.

The downfall of the K&N is that it is far too pricey whether induction kit or filter and most of the induction kits are just thrown together, which doesn't warrant the price tag.

That the K&N made on your (Jai's) turbo a difference does not allow the conclusion that it would make a difference in the wanted way on a normally aspirated engine as the induction design needs to be totally different between the 2 types of induction.

To get the best out of a normally aspirated engine the only way to go without compromise is a sequential set-up, but nobady wants to pay for it the money it costs to produce. Therefore the very good fast road applications will be produced as they are.

Back