Your views and possibly your help please

Currently reading:
Your views and possibly your help please

You're right, there is a market for organic food. But it's a niche compared to the normal stuff.
Supermarkets don't sell organic food because they care about the welfare of the animals/dangers of the pesticides etc, they sell it for 2 reasons:
1) they no they can charge obscene amounts for it and there are mugs that will buy it
2) it makes them look ethical

Also you need to remember that if we all switched to free range they take longer to get from chick to shelf and as well as bumping the price up will also affect the availability of chicken

well a fiat what can drive on water its not made yet prob will not be

an anthbiouse vehicle is often called a duck (well ww2 it was

how the hell is that relevant? :bang:

You're right, there is a market for organic food. But it's a niche compared to the normal stuff.
Supermarkets don't sell organic food because they care about the welfare of the animals/dangers of the pesticides etc, they sell it for 2 reasons:
1) they no they can charge obscene amounts for it and there are mugs that will buy it
2) it makes them look ethical

Also you need to remember that if we all switched to free range they take longer to get from chick to shelf and as well as bumping the price up will also affect the availability of chicken

I think it was 31 or 32 for intensive farmed birds compared to 56 or 59 for free range

And people couldnt possibly live without chicken in their lives, even for a short time :rolleyes:

Exactly thats why Man is doing such a good job in destroying the world and everything in it :rolleyes:

Bound to happen sooner or later anyway. Man or no man. I'm sure we'll sort it when the technology is here.

I adore chickens...eating and chasing the buggers around :)

I'm planning to get 2-3 when we get our own place...and a goat :D

Why should we not eat chicken?
Like it or not, humans are genetically wired to be meat eaters, it is part of a balanced diet and our bodies are designed to digest it. Vegetarianism isn't natural, your body requires a lot of things that are in meat such as animal fats and protein. Though i'm sure the ladies could find a way to make up the protein deficiency :chin:

Last edited:
Why should we not eat chicken?
Like it or not, humans are genetically wired to be meat eaters, it is part of a balanced diet and our bodies are designed to digest it. Vegetarianism isn't natural, your body requires a lot of things that are in meat such as animal fats and protein. Though i'm sure the ladies could find a way to make up the protein deficiency :chin:

pmsl

However no one is suggesting we don't eat chicken

ps chicken prog with jamie oliver on ch4 (i think)

I watched the program, but then I have visited the farms so it wasn't such a surprise. What you have to remember is that what you saw was a small scale battery operation run by people who still care about animals. The commercial reality is not the same and not run by people who have quite such an ethical outlook on things.

It should make you question why the battery chicken farmers won't allow filming if they have nothing to hide. The reality is that there is a market for the product, but people don't know how it is produced and they want to keep it that way. There have been many posts saying everybody eats it so there is a market, but if people don't know how it is done they can't make an informed choice. Following the publicity a while back, this is exactly why free range eggs make up almost a third of the market now.

As for the price of free range, the more free range product available the more competition and the more the price will come down from a premium product. The real price of chickens has dropped over the years, so it's not a case of not being able to afford it, for the majority of people it's a case of not wanting to make the choice to not buy it. If you run a car you can afford to buy free range chicken, but you might choose to spend the money on a car. Your choice, but don't make an excuse and say you can't afford it.

True, but there was no point to her suffering, however there is a point to the "suffering" of these chickens, which i have pointed out.

And I'm sure if chickens ate humans they would have no thought for our rights or welfare either...

There is no point to the suffering as there is a way not to inflict it. As for chickens eating people, your basically saying that as a chicken wouldn't be bothered about our welfare you shouldn't bother thinking about there's.

So basically your comparing your ethics and intelligence to those of a chicken. I think evolution was wasted on you.

There is no point to the suffering as there is a way not to inflict it. As for chickens eating people, your basically saying that as a chicken wouldn't be bothered about our welfare you shouldn't bother thinking about there's.

So basically your comparing your ethics and intelligence to those of a chicken. I think evolution was wasted on you.

Agreed entirely!

I found it interesting last night to watch Jamie Oliver when he visited the chicken farm that that guy had built himself, where the chickens had toys to play with, perches and natural sunlight

I still don't like the idea of chickens being reared in this way but then that is because i'm an animal lover and it upsets me to see the birds knowing they will be eaten but they were much healthier looking birds and active too

Hopefully this will be the way forward if the whole thing can't be banned altogether (which i know would be unrealistic before anyone jumps down my throat)

:rolleyes:

Did you even read what I said?

There is a way to stop the 'suffering', but it would involve people paying a lot more for their meat. This is not possible for a lot of people, like that single mum on Hugh's Chicken Run. There is always going to be a bigger market for cheap meat than 'ethical' meats, which will always be a niche.

You can petition and moan until the cows come home (or go to the slaughterhouse), but it isn't going to change anything. The best thing you can do if it really boils your **** that much is raise your own animals for food at home (which i assume Dobby is going to be doing with these chickens (y))

And Dobby Magical Trevor was suggesting about not eating chicken...

Last edited:
Back