Your car and how you got it

Currently reading:
Your car and how you got it

Some lovely tales there I never knew about :)

When I bought the Blancmange it was sat at the back of a garage, saw it and fell in love with the rear lights, fell lucky on getting the 1.2 and in lovely condition. Bought it, prettied it up, now pink and rather lovely :)

The Bismarck I bought for a number of reasons - I needed power and economy, comfort and sportiness and had a half decent budget and it ticked all the best boxes. Once I had narrowed it down to the exact spec (facelift E46 330d sport manual with less than 100k miles for less than £15k), I had to chase cars around the country and finally tracked this one down in Sheffield - put a deposit down without even seeing it :eek:

was browsing evan halshaws used cars on the teh interweb when i noticed a grey panda 100hp advertised for £6499. i thought it was cheap so i gave them a call and found it was fairly local. went to the dealer that day and took it for a test drive. i thought it was awesome compared to the grande punto so after some heafty bartering i put a deposite down. i was sad to see the grande go because it was stunning, but unfortunately i found it so boring to drive i could fall asleep at the wheel.

Had been systematically beating my punto 55 into the ground for 2 1/2 years, it got to 86k (it had 45 on it when i got it) and sounded like a bag of spanners on cold start, and needed a large list of work, Decided to flog it on. I'd always said the mk1 would be a good car with a decent engine so decided to look for an 85 elx, couldn't find one so decided to look at mk2 sportings and 16v, couldn't find a decent one of them either so in desperation trawled the mk1 60s and 75s to see if i could at least find a nice one. My current car was on advertised as a 60sx I spotted the wheels and 85 badge on the side in the photos and phoned up. Then after looking around it bought it a week later.

my brother had the car but he was off to work in germany. he was planning to scrap it but put it in for an MoT just in case it passed. which it did without a single advisory! he kept it for a month or two before leaving for germany then i bought it off him for the price of the tax left on it.
it's just as good if not better than i could of afforded to buy and insure although it isn't great. the engine is very good on it though:D when i first drove it round the carpark before i got it i just felt that i wanted that car. it's brakes were rubbish, the steering was heavy, seat position was crap, but the engine was willing and when moving along the steering felt right and even at those sorts of speed i got a good idea of the handling which is good.
it's a bit tired now though and i'm looking to replace it when the right alfa 155 becomes available:yum: which is the car i've wanted since the 1994 BTCC! and oddly enough that's effectively a reshelled and upgraded tipo:slayer: .

My recent cars are Uno 45 and Tipo 1,4.
Both bought bottom cheap (bad cosmetics/100% technical shape). I have a restoration project running (weekend cottage on the banks of a pond - something I thought was only a dream until I bought it) which is much more important to me than that of having a perfect/modern/racing/whatever car.

uno 45
got it for free due to water leak, put new water pump in and smoothed the body, cleaned it up lowered and alloys some more body work and now on my ICE :)

Back