General Yet another subwoofer thread

Currently reading:
General Yet another subwoofer thread

Hello all,

As some of you might remember, I have a 500 POP 1.4 100hp.

A few days ago I installed an underseat subwoofer. I upgraded to Abarth seats at the front so I didn't have the underseat storage compartment anyway.

Anyway, sub fitted, tapped into the rear speaker wires for the sub, everything set. The sub switches on and off correctly.

Problem is, the sub doesn't seem to make much of a difference. It's funny in that it is quite loud at a particular frequency, but nothing else. For example you would expect it to have a little punch for any ordinary song, but no, nothing.

I was wondering if it is possible that I've wired it incorrectly? Mind that the sub does get the signals and it does work correctly in giving out the bass, just not enough and not low enough. It's so bad that you can't notice the difference, but if you put your hand on it you can feel it working correctly. At some frequencies it's great.

For avoidance of doubt, I've tried 3 different underseat subs. 2 of the same brand, both brand new, and a Rogers sub coming out of my other car. All performed the same. This led me to thinking it is a wiring problem or it's just the incompetence of the stock MP3 headunit.

My car has no interscope.

Sorry for the long rant. I'd appreciate any input.

Cheers,
Jeff:bang:

As implied above, the ground wire needs a good connection - I'd probably clean up the chasis under a seat mount and clamp it there.

Check the polarity of the input - check by disconnected one of the inputs, and see if the output increases.

Also check there is sufficient clearance above or below the unit, depending on what it needs.

HTH

Thanks for the replies.

I actually had a dodgy ICE guy do the install as I thought the install was easy enough. I shadowed all his work, but I've failed to remember where you grounded the unit. I believe he might have grounded it at the headunit ground? I have absolutely no idea. I can take it all apart to check later though

As for polarity, I thought that it doesn't matter if the left/right are swapped on a sub?

Cheers

Are these just passive speakers? if yes then are you using a cross-over?

Are you connecting them to both speakers? or just one?

is subwoofer connected in parallel or series? because either way you maybe increasing the resistance?
if its a powered subwoofer are you sure your amp in your subwoofer can take speaker level as an input?

Thanks for the replies.

I actually had a dodgy ICE guy do the install as I thought the install was easy enough. I shadowed all his work, but I've failed to remember where you grounded the unit. I believe he might have grounded it at the headunit ground? I have absolutely no idea. I can take it all apart to check later though

As for polarity, I thought that it doesn't matter if the left/right are swapped on a sub?

Cheers
Hmm that doesn't sound right to me, could you find out the subwoofer name and model number? The left and right shouldn't matter too much...

Yes the subwoofer itself has an amplifier built in and yes it can take high level input signals. The signal wires were just tapped into the rear speaker wires at the back of the headunit.

As for cross-over, I have absolutely no idea. The problem, put simply, is like the sub is just not getting enough power.. It moves, but does not punch hard at all.

Currently I have the Rogers sub in the car as I know for sure they are working (took it off my other car).

Will check for the model number but a quick visit to the Rogers website reveals that it doesn't actually list the underseat sub (n)

has the volume dropped to the rear speakers since he has connected it?, could he of connected it in series i.e. right hand speaker positive with left hand speaker negative thus increasing the resistance?, if you disconnect the sub does the volume of the rears go up?

Of course the polarity matters, think about it if they are reversed then the voltage on one side will be pretty much exactly opposite to the voltage on the other.

Edit: To clarify, I'm talking about the +ve and -ve polarity of the two inputs. Obviously it doesn't matter which way around left and right are connected, as long as the +ve's and -ve's are consistent.

Last edited:
I use to be really into my boot builds for car stereos for years.

Firstly for a good sound ditch the under seat sub. A good sub need a larger box so it has more aire to move.

Taking a feed from on of the rear speakers will only give u one chanel. A sub is mono (so only one chanel) but you need to use both left and right chanels for the best signal.

If the ground cable is not conected correctly it wont turn on at all.

For a good setup buy a new head unit with a low level pre out. Conect that to a seperate amp and conect the amp to a 10 or 12" sub in a reasonable size box.

The sub box should be fixxed down to the floor so it wont vibrate on its own.

Also, polarity of the sound input into a sub makes no difference.

My old setup was:
Head unit powering front speakers only.
300W amp powering rear speakers
600W amp powering sub.

Both amps were conected to the pre outs on the back of the head unit and not the speakers.

Cheers for all the replies :) I've got it sorted. Turns out I shouldn't go to a dodgy ICE shop haha..

Anyway the problem was that the audio guy connected the right side correctly (+ve and -ve) but as regards the left side, he connected the -ve wire to the +ve output from the headunit. I swapped it over and now it's working like a charm.

I'm really into ICE too and indeed in my other cars I have better setups. But since this car is really just there to make the missus happy and practical enough for work purposes, I decided not to go full-on with the ICE install but instead, kept it to an acceptable minimum.

All sorted now. Just awaiting delivery of the Ragazzon exhaust and the Supersprint exhaust manifold (hopefully to unleash some horses from the tiny 1.4!!)

Cheers all :)

Cheers for all the replies :) I've got it sorted. Turns out I shouldn't go to a dodgy ICE shop haha..

Anyway the problem was that the audio guy connected the right side correctly (+ve and -ve) but as regards the left side, he connected the -ve wire to the +ve output from the headunit. I swapped it over and now it's working like a charm.

I'm really into ICE too and indeed in my other cars I have better setups. But since this car is really just there to make the missus happy and practical enough for work purposes, I decided not to go full-on with the ICE install but instead, kept it to an acceptable minimum.

All sorted now. Just awaiting delivery of the Ragazzon exhaust and the Supersprint exhaust manifold (hopefully to unleash some horses from the tiny 1.4!!)

Cheers all :)

That's brilliant that you have it all sorted.

I would be very interested in how you get on with that manifold and if you can get away with installing it with resorting to a re-map.

Last edited:
That's brilliant that you have it all sorted.

I would be very interested in how you get on with that manifold and if you can get away with installing it with resorting to a re-map.

Mate I am expecting a CEL due to the lack of a cat. Might introduce a resistor to the 2nd cat in order to cheat the ECU into thinking there is a cat.

Illegal I know, but at where I am, no one cares until MOT time, which is when the car is 7 years old :)

Reason for the exhaust mods was purely because the stock backbox was blowing badly :bang: so I decided to go for a performance one to complement the other mods on my car, then got attracted to the manifold, and cams, and the possibility of forced induction, and so on....... :p

Mate I am expecting a CEL due to the lack of a cat. Might introduce a resistor to the 2nd cat in order to cheat the ECU into thinking there is a cat.

Illegal I know, but at where I am, no one cares until MOT time, which is when the car is 7 years old :)

Reason for the exhaust mods was purely because the stock backbox was blowing badly :bang: so I decided to go for a performance one to complement the other mods on my car, then got attracted to the manifold, and cams, and the possibility of forced induction, and so on....... :p

I remember sending you a bunch of links a few weeks ago but did you spot the offer from John Ashley to custom make a manifold for the 500 for an all in price of £200 (got the impression he might even organise the remap within that price as a 'once off' but you'd have to check with it on that)
https://www.fiatforum.com/500/199654-lad-motorsport-fiat-500-a-3.html?p=2768276

If the CAT light stays on after putting in the Supersprint manifold it will cost you around 3 miles to the gallon. I hope I have not been responsible for you doing anything illegal. :eek:

The Pipercross CAI is good (had that) and the GSR is now available again (probably the best performing once you keep out of 'floods'').

There's a few on here interested in the Ragazzon back box exhaust since the standard ones are starting to go.

Last edited:
I remember sending you a bunch of links a few weeks ago but did you spot the offer from John Ashley to custom make a manifold for the 500 for an all in price of £200 (got the impression he might even organise the remap within that price as a 'once off' but you'd have to check with it on that)
https://www.fiatforum.com/500/199654-lad-motorsport-fiat-500-a-3.html?p=2768276

If the CAT light stays on after putting in the Supersprint manifold it will cost you around 3 miles to the gallon. I hope I have not been responsible for you doing anything illegal. :eek:

The Pipercross CAI is good (had that) and the GSR is now available again (probably the best performing once you keep out of 'floods'').

There's a few on here interested in the Ragazzon back box exhaust since the standard ones are starting to go.

Ahh.. So the already not-great fuel economy would be getting even worse.. That's good to hear :bang: Would it work if I put a resistor in there making the ECU think the cat is still there? Would it still cost me the fuel economy?

I'm not actually very bothered about the MPG this car returns, as the other cars in the household are gas-guzzling V8s, but what bothers me is that this tiny little car with the lawnmower engine actually drinks quite a lot relative to its size :cry:

In fact, talking about fuel economy, I had a 700cc turbo-charged Smart ForTwo (bought because of the missus, again), which I modified with all the Brabus goodies like turbo, injectors and whatnot. That little Smart pulled like crazy with over 100hp at the crank yet still manages great economy..

I believe I have the BMC panel filter in there. No particular plans about further upgrading the intake as of yet but if the GSR is so good, I will be giving it a try.. After all, the holes drilled in the airbox give a nice induction roar to it already :slayer::slayer: Call me boy racer :devil::devil:

Regarding the Ragazzon backbox, I bought the one with the twin left/right tips. Just got the UPS shipping info and they should be arriving on Monday if the schedule is right. Hopefully I will install it on Tuesday and can give a report then!

Do you know about the modifications I have to make in order to install the backbox though? I see that it has a hanger on the UK driver's side too.. And I would have to cut my bumper for sure (n)

Ahh.. So the already not-great fuel economy would be getting even worse.. That's good to hear :bang: Would it work if I put a resistor in there making the ECU think the cat is still there? Would it still cost me the fuel economy?

I'm not actually very bothered about the MPG this car returns, as the other cars in the household are gas-guzzling V8s, but what bothers me is that this tiny little car with the lawnmower engine actually drinks quite a lot relative to its size :cry:

In fact, talking about fuel economy, I had a 700cc turbo-charged Smart ForTwo (bought because of the missus, again), which I modified with all the Brabus goodies like turbo, injectors and whatnot. That little Smart pulled like crazy with over 100hp at the crank yet still manages great economy..

I believe I have the BMC panel filter in there. No particular plans about further upgrading the intake as of yet but if the GSR is so good, I will be giving it a try.. After all, the holes drilled in the airbox give a nice induction roar to it already :slayer::slayer: Call me boy racer :devil::devil:

Regarding the Ragazzon backbox, I bought the one with the twin left/right tips. Just got the UPS shipping info and they should be arriving on Monday if the schedule is right. Hopefully I will install it on Tuesday and can give a report then!

Do you know about the modifications I have to make in order to install the backbox though? I see that it has a hanger on the UK driver's side too.. And I would have to cut my bumper for sure (n)

Have you paid for and received delivery of the Supersprint manifold ?

Hey there mate,

I have paid for the Supersprint manifold on 12 June but have yet to receive delivery. To be more precise, in the same order, I paid for a Ragazzon backbox and a Supersprint manifold, as well as a luggage net (y)

I disregarded the numerous posts on here and the alfa forum RE Gaz***** Racing and placed an order with them. Learned my lesson.

AFAIK the current shipment will consist of the backbox and the luggage net only, being a total of 13KG as stated on the UPS tracking website. The goods were posted on 6 July, what an efficient bunch eh?

Luckily I paid with PayPal. So when I receive my shipment and if I find that the Supersprints are not there, I will just file a claim with PayPal to get at least the money for the Supersprints back, and ideally go with one of those you recommended ;)

Hey there mate,

I have paid for the Supersprint manifold on 12 June but have yet to receive delivery. To be more precise, in the same order, I paid for a Ragazzon backbox and a Supersprint manifold, as well as a luggage net (y)

I disregarded the numerous posts on here and the alfa forum RE Gaz***** Racing and placed an order with them. Learned my lesson.

AFAIK the current shipment will consist of the backbox and the luggage net only, being a total of 13KG as stated on the UPS tracking website. The goods were posted on 6 July, what an efficient bunch eh?

Luckily I paid with PayPal. So when I receive my shipment and if I find that the Supersprints are not there, I will just file a claim with PayPal to get at least the money for the Supersprints back, and ideally go with one of those you recommended ;)

The Supersprint is the best manifold and although pricey it's not too bad. You have my recommendation on fitment on the other thread. One of the guys on this forum swears by it but he's sold his car on. I would source some ceramic tape (I got some from a guy on ebay from Lithuania - free postage) get the 'big' roll - it takes a lot more than you think. Don't wrap near the 'head' - it has to breath a bit. One of the reasons your car could be heavy on juice is those holes in the airbox are taking in hot air - not good for power - you need cooler air. You could probably fit a cheaper sports cat - Janspeed do one - you have to check if it will fit to the Supersprint - I reckon it would - there's some kind of knuckle joint to allow for flex and that would be your coupler.

Re the back box there is a guy on here who sells the Ragazzon - he might be able to advise. It's a pity you couldn't have bought off it him - by all accounts he's excellent on the service - and it might have paid for his battery. :)

Last edited:
Ahh!! I should've done more research before I bought from Gaz***** !! :bang:

Oh well, if the Supersprint manifold is not in the coming shipment, I will sure gather the opinion of you guys before I go ahead with it myself!!

RE the holes in the airbox, I agree. I'll probably look into the GSR thing soon, after the Ragazzon is fitted :worship:

Cheers mate for the help so far (y)

Back