General Another year, another passed MOT.........Yipeeee

Currently reading:
General Another year, another passed MOT.........Yipeeee

I was a poster on here back in 2012 when we first purchased out Fiat 500 Pop brand new. I was always realistic that it was a glorified shopping trolley designed, like the original, to be an affordable city car and engineered accordingly. I must say the car has so much character to drive. Its looks, still to this day make me smile. Heres the thing, it is ultra reliable too. My wife uses the car for school runs, shopping etc. It does about 5,000mls per annum. It has been used by one of my children to learn to drive and it is gearing up for the second child in a couple of years time. I have said she can have it and give it back to me when she is finished. It will be my retirement car too :)

My car is a March 2012 car. It has the 1.2 engine. It is the bobby basic popular spec in white. It has had 1 mechanic touch it for its entire life. A friend of the family who worked for the Fiat main dealership when we purchased and subsequently has looked after it ever since.

Some highlights of its upkeep

Services - Every 12 months when under warranty, Every 2 years from 3 yrs old. So about 7 services
Passed every MOT
Never broken down
A few side light bulbs needing replaced due to wiring pins falling out. Wiring repaired in 5 mins by mechanic and sorted.
Interior bulb replaced
Brake light bulb x 2 replaced
Rear boot wiring had the break issue. Repaired easily (£29 part and 1hr labour)
A few tyres
A Steering arm replaced

Thing is it has just passed again. Still on original exhaust too :) 59,000mls.

Here's to another 10yrs easy motoring.....if i can afford the fuel

The Younger Mrs S.'s Rasputin has had quite an interesting life... I estimate at least 4 different "incidents" requiring paint.. but it's reasonably straight and mechanically sound. It had a loose headlamp (damaged tabs) which made it fail an MOT for the first time.

This year it's just had a new clutch and slave cylinder (so needed a new master cylinder too, as a result of the connector being corroded together) and last year it needed a couple of suspension arms which was only its second MOT failure..

It's a 201 and on 68,000 miles now.. so pretty good for it's usage, which is local/short runs. The exhaust is looking ropey but seems like it's the original. It's also had brake pads and tyres in the past... but (touch wood) no hatch wiring or door-handle issues yet.

Ralf S.

Back