Technical X290 Service Mileage Displays

Currently reading:
Technical X290 Service Mileage Displays

The X290 trip contains two "Service Mileage" displays, one for the basic Vehicle Service, and one for "Oil Change", which, on a vehicle with a DPF may be required out of sync with the main service.

Having had mine recently serviced, with both items carried out at the two year mark, I have doubts that the appropriate reset has been done (it requires two resets, one for each value).

Given the displayed values, I'm pretty sure about the overall service indicator not having been reset (it's value makes most sense as (almost) the residual mileage from current to 30k miles - the service interval).

The oil mileage value that is displayed, however, could logically either be the mileage at which the next change is required (which would mean it hadn't been reset), or the interval to the next change (as currently calculated, as it is variable), which would mean it had.

I have read what the manual says about the two values, but frankly, I don't trust it (given other errors in content).

Does anyone know from experience (or from interpreting their current values) whether:

...the trip-computer displayed values for "service" are mileage at which the service is required, or the interval to the next service, and

...the trip-computer displayed values for "Oil service" are mileage at which the oil-change is required, or the interval to the next oil-change?

(AIUI, not resetting the Service Mileage is simply an annoyance, with any warning message generated in the future eventually disappearing, but the Oil-Change mileage will generate a warning which, if ignored, will ultimately cause the vehicle to drop into 'limp mode').

The counters should be reset after the oil and filter change and service in accordance with the Service regime. When my euro 5 was serviced the service interval was reset at to 28000m and the oil one about 27500m or there abouts. I don't know why they were not the same.

...indeed Ray, and my suspicion is that the Service Interval hasn't been reset (since it's current value doesn't make sense otherwise), whilst the Oil Interval has (though this would depend on whether the mileage intervals in each case are "miles until", not "miles at").

I think they are both "miles until", but I don't trust the documentation; the current value of the Oil Service alongside my current mileage mean either could logically be the case, and I'm not happy to take anything at face value when (at least some of) the mileages are inconsistent.

Whatever, the Fiat Professional garage has invited me back for a reset; given I'm only 100 miles or so after the service I'll get them to reset both, and also get chapter and verse on what exactly the values are.

My handbook says "briefly press the MODE button; the display shows the estimated km distance to the next oil change (depending on the driving mode); "

In my experience the service or oil change show the distance to the next service or oil change.

...an example of why I don't trust the manuals, 'cos it certainly shouldn't be km
:nono:

It could be if KM has been set to be the unit used in the display configuration as will the results shown for average speed, fuel consumption in km/h, ltrs/100km etc.

It is driver configurable, some want to work in metric, some in imperial.

I fully realise that; it is simply that the documentation is inconsistent.

In some cases it refers back to the unit settings (making it clear that the displays will be consistent with those settings), in other places, it simply states they will be the metric units.

Now, both you and I could make a good, informed guess about what units are really in use, but, when the manual says otherwise........ :rolleyes:

...position confirmed after a dealer visit this morning.

As suspected, they are both decrementing counts (to zero), not mileages at which intervention is required.

Also confirmed that the (more critical) "Oil Service" had been reset at service, but that the overall "Service Interval" hadn't.

The lead technician who checked is pretty capable (I've had him successfully diagnose a pretty odd issue without codes before by deduction), but didn't know how/where to reset the "Service Interval" (he wasn't the one who did the service).

Eventually, when I hinted that the value was probably not in the same ECU as the oil one, he did a run round the software and found it.

(The new, pristine values are, as Ray posted above, fairly arbitrary, though close to 30,000 miles. I suspect some rounding is taking place when converting the working km units to miles)

I'm now (more) comfortable that I'm not going to get a premature oil warning, and he's learnt something!

Back