Technical Wrong brake calipers causing squeak?

Currently reading:
Technical Wrong brake calipers causing squeak?

In the 5th picture the correct looking pad can be seen on inside of disc as the friction material reaches the edge of disc.

Unbelievably it looks like a mixture of different size pads have been fitted.

I strongly suggest getting the correct pads and asking your very kind garage to try fitting them. It is amazingly they allowed you in to take pictures.

In the 5th picture the correct looking pad can be seen on inside of disc as the friction material reaches the edge of disc.

I strongly suggest getting the correct pads and asking your very kind garage to try fitting them. It is amazingly they allowed you in to take pictures.

I expect to get part numbers on monday, then we can try and solve this.

If it turns out right pads and discs are on, is it then the Carrier?

But Yeah with taking pictures, they are super nice, i was standing next to them while they were working on the car, and never left it's sight, they also did not mind, as i have been there plenty of times before :)

The Key thing is no matter how much you keep swapping about discs and calipers, it is unlikely any of this is causing the brake squeal you were originally trying to fix, but from the garages point of view they have certainly made there money.

Looking though all those photos, I don't see so much as a smudge of copper slip.

The Key thing is no matter how much you keep swapping about discs and calipers, it is unlikely any of this is causing the brake squeal you were originally trying to fix, but from the garages point of view they have certainly made there money.

Looking though all those photos, I don't see so much as a smudge of copper slip.

What they have been paid for is one time changing pads and discs, that is it. The caliper swap, and being there 5-6 times to have the car looked at, has been free of charge.

Not follpwed this thread.. but the disc diameter is probably 6 to 10mm oversize compared to the arc cleaned by the pads

Issue could be disc. Pads.. carrier.. or a combo

Time to recheck the quoted parts.. :eek:

Well worth reading the whole thread, It is much more complicated than it first appears

I expect to get part numbers on monday, then we can try and solve this.

If it turns out right pads and discs are on, is it then the Carrier?

But Yeah with taking pictures, they are super nice, i was standing next to them while they were working on the car, and never left it's sight, they also did not mind, as i have been there plenty of times before :)

I am 100% certain incorrect pads are fitted to the car.

Well 3 of the pads are visibly completely incorrect for your car.

Get the correct pads yourself , you have posted the correct brembo pad number before and so have I on this thread.

When you get correct pads compare the measurements of new pads to technical drawing on brembo website. Check part number on the pads themselves match number you ordered not just number on box they arrive in. Then take pads to your friendly garage and ask them to fit the pads.

I am more and more convinced this will turn out to be wrong pads.

If correct pads don't fit pad carrier on car then pad carrier is wrong.

Part number of calipers would be helpful.

Part number of pads from garage would only help if they read the number off the back of the pads fitted to car , not just look up the correct pad number like you have done already.

Find out price of anti squeal shim from opel I'm thinking not many euros. If cheap enough get two and ask your garage to fit them with new pads , print off the diagram so garage know which way is up for shims.

Last edited:
Sorry I have made a big deal of part numbers off the pads them selves, maybe brembo don't put the part number on the back of their pads . I thought pads had to have information on them to meet eu rules but perhaps I'm wrong.

It is not unheard of for people to mix up pads and boxes so the part number on the box doesn't match the actual part on the box.

I learned that the hard way with a clutch..
.... ended up doing the whole job twice , a long time ago now.

100% incorrect pads fitted to the car.
Well 3 of the pads are visibly completely incorrect for your car.

Get the correct pads yourself , you have posted the correct brembo pad number before and so have I on this thread.

When you get correct pads compare the measurements of new pads to technical drawing on brembo website. Check part number on the pads themselves match number you ordered not just number on box they arrive in. Then take pads to your friendly garage and ask them to fit the pads.

I am more and more convinced this will turn out to be wrong pads.

If correct pads don't fit pad carrier on car then pad carrier is wrong.

Part number of calipers would be helpful.

Part number of pads from garage would only help if they read the number off the back of the pads fitted to car , not just look up the correct pad number like you have done already.

Find out price of anti squeal shim from opel I'm thinking not many euros. If cheap enough get two and ask your garage to fit them with new pads , print off the diagram so garage know which way is up for shims.

Hey Jack, if this is the part number you are talking about, well that I got some sad news:0 986 424 596

These are the pads that were mounted on the car back in october 2019 when the squeaking started.

Hey Jack, if this is the part number you are talking about, well that I got some sad news:0 986 424 596

These are the pads that were mounted on the car back in october 2019 when the squeaking started.

That number is a Bosch part number and it is the correct Bosch part number for brake pads for your car BUT your photo graphs do not show Bosch pads and the pads in your photos clearly show 100% the wrong pads.

I am 100% certain the pads fitted to your car are not correct.

Maybe some idiot opened more than one box of pads and put pads back in wrong boxes before the pads got to the garage. I don't know for sure.

Buy the correct pads yourself, measure and compare to technical drawing , take photos with a tape measure post photos on here. Then take them to garage to be fitted.

Last edited:
It is totally logical that squeaking started when the wrong pads were fitted.

Look at your 5th photo ( you can see pad through window in Caliper) compare the position of the friction material on each pad. It is very clear the pad on the inside edge of the disc is rubbing much nearer edge of disc than the pad on outside of disc.
That shows the pads are different. The pads should be identical on your front braking system.

Last edited:
Please forgive me if I'm wrong about photo number 5 it could be the angle camera was when photo taken making me think it's wrong.

It does not change my 100% confidence that pads are wrong ones. The friction material is just too narrow and the overall height if pad is too little.

Please forgive me if I'm wrong about photo number 5 it could be the angle camera was when photo taken making me think it's wrong.

It does not change my 100% confidence that pads are wrong ones. The friction material is just too narrow and the overall height if pad is too little.

I can see what you mean on photo 5, and it does look like something is up.
Could you post a part number to the correct pads? Then I can try and get a hold of a set, and see what is what.

Brembo brake pad number is p 23 137

Soooooo I got an email from the garage today and they told me the part number for the discs and pads.

Discs: 09.4939.31
Pads: P23087

After looking online I can see that Brembo.com does not say that these pads fit my car, and the P23137 that Jack posted is the correct set. They do have the same size, and everything but it is not on the website. Also when you try and cross reference with OEM numbers, they are also wrong.

As for the squeaking flap thingy:93169307 they said it has a delivery time of a week and it will cost €10 so that is no problem.

I am a little worried that if it turns out to have been wrong pads all along, then has this also caused damage/unnecessary wear to my discs. Could I ask them to replace the discs and pads free of charge? I did not tell them what parts to put on, so they did that all by themselves.

I can see from your photos the pads on your car are not either the correct brembo pad number or the pad number the garage said they put on.

Yes you now have slightly uneven wear to the discs.
Could you ask them to replace the discs for free? yes you could ask but be prepared for a negative response.
This is likely to be the fault of the garages part supplier.
Perhaps the garage could get the parts supplier to provide new discs for you for free.

If you end up without new discs but do have new pads t avoid braking hard , unless you have to, for at least 300km . That will enable the new pads to confirm to the shape of the discs.

Update

Have had a busy week, so have not had much time to post things that have been going on.

Last friday the part: 93169307 was put on the car, sadly this made no difference so i'm back to square one.

I asked them about this and they told me that they had shaved some of the brake pads off, as this could sometimes be the case for squeaking. That is why they look the way that they do, but they have said it is fine.

Brembo brake pad number is p 23 137

The reason for them fitting Pads: P23087 Was that this set of pads is identical to p 23 137 only difference being that P23087 has one wear indicator and p 23 137 has two wear indicators. I was told mine one has one wear indicator, and that is why they choose that set of pads.

I know do not really know what is the next step to try and fix this issue. This weekend I was by a junkyard that has a T-jet in the same color as mine, I got some different parts from it, and was told they also had the knuckle for sale for both left and right side in the front for €30 each. Everytime however I suggest this to the garage that this could fix it, they say that they have their doubts.

Any input really helps!

Update

Have had a busy week, so have not had much time to post things that have been going on.

Last friday the part: 93169307 was put on the car, sadly this made no difference so i'm back to square one.

I asked them about this and they told me that they had shaved some of the brake pads off, as this could sometimes be the case for squeaking. That is why they look the way that they do, but they have said it is fine.

The reason for them fitting Pads: P23087 Was that this set of pads is identical to p 23 137 only difference being that P23087 has one wear indicator and p 23 137 has two wear indicators. I was told mine one has one wear indicator, and that is why they choose that set of pads.

I know do not really know what is the next step to try and fix this issue. This weekend I was by a junkyard that has a T-jet in the same color as mine, I got some different parts from it, and was told they also had the knuckle for sale for both left and right side in the front for €30 each. Everytime however I suggest this to the garage that this could fix it, they say that they have their doubts.

Any input really helps!
Wow this is crazy , sympathies.

Are your new pads rubbing full area of disc?Or is it the same as before? Did you measure the new pads before giving them to garage and did measurements match up with brembo drawings?

When you looked at scrap yard car were the pads rubbing the full area of disc?

If yes get the calipers ,pads , pads carriers and discs off that car. Take all those parts to your garage , ask them to see if they are any different to parts on your car already.

It doesn't matter if the pads and discs are rubbish just need them to identify what is wrong.

€30 for a knuckle is very good value so they might do the knuckle with the brakes still bolted on very cheap too.

Please can we have a pic of your disc taken through the wheel with new pads fitted.

Cheers Jack

Last edited:
Back