General Worth buying a GP with PAS problem ?

Currently reading:
General Worth buying a GP with PAS problem ?

henkeharkins82

Ok

Its coming up on a year since i got my first car (MK2 Punto) and im looking to upgrade to a GP.

Been looking at an 06/07 plate. Its been difficult to find a decent one in my area. Best place would seem to be the auctions, but with my location it is difficult for me to get there.

Anyways. Cutting the long story short. There is a garage closeby selling an 06 GP. 3 door , 1.2 dynamic, 1 owner.
I had seen it before but thought they were asking too much with it having done 100k miles.

They have recently knocked a shedload off the asking price & listed it as Spares/Repair.

I enquired as to why & they told me the power steering had cut out a couple of times (but came back on when the car was started up again) & that they didnt know if it would do it again or the cause of the problem. As such they were selling at cost price.

Now i know this to be a common problem. I have even had it happen twice on my mk2, but it was due to lots of short trips with Blowers/Stereo/Lights etc on & soon righted itself after I took the car a good run.

So whats the chances this GP is having the same problem. Or is it likely to be a more serious fault.
Is it worth the punt

pretty sure its a new streeing column/ecu and it needs to be programmed by FIAT....could be wrong though, that or it could just be a dodgy earth

How much are they willing to flog the car for? It's not like it's a bespoke vehicle, so unless it was dirt cheap, I'd steer clear if it's done 100k miles and comes complete with dodgy steering.

How much are they willing to flog the car for? It's not like it's a bespoke vehicle, so unless it was dirt cheap, I'd steer clear if it's done 100k miles and comes complete with dodgy steering.

I'd also like to know.

1.2s don't go for a lot these days, and considering the 100k factor, this car should be ridiculously cheap, otherwise stay very far away.

The asking price is £2300

I think im just going to keep an eye on the auctions for the time being

wouldn't bother me as I would get a refurbished column for third of the price however I wouldn't touch a 4 year old 1.2 with 100k on it.

Plenty of 1.2's if you look.

T14086 is right matey, I wouldnt touch that car with a barge pole tbh. My 07 GP 1.2 has done 15k in the last 4 years, only 1.5k being my mileage. There is a load of 1.2's...the real problem is finding the 1.9JTD that i want:bang::D

Plus the fact that 100,000 over 4Years = about 25,000 a year, so that car has had one heck of a trashing for the PAS to go already.

Id consider looking for a GP with around 30k (ish) on the clock, but thats just IMO

Good luck anyway dude (y)

£2,300?! They're 'avin' a larf as they say daan saaaf. Common PAS problems can be caused by low supply voltage - say if the vehicle has been sat a while and the battery is a bit low or on it's way out. As is the case with your Mk2, once the battery is charged up (or replaced) it could well be right as rain but for £2k+ I wouldn't be willing to take that risk.

Ok

Its coming up on a year since i got my first car (MK2 Punto) and im looking to upgrade to a GP.

Been looking at an 06/07 plate. Its been difficult to find a decent one in my area. Best place would seem to be the auctions, but with my location it is difficult for me to get there.

Anyways. Cutting the long story short. There is a garage closeby selling an 06 GP. 3 door , 1.2 dynamic, 1 owner.
I had seen it before but thought they were asking too much with it having done 100k miles.

They have recently knocked a shedload off the asking price & listed it as Spares/Repair.

I enquired as to why & they told me the power steering had cut out a couple of times (but came back on when the car was started up again) & that they didnt know if it would do it again or the cause of the problem. As such they were selling at cost price.

Now i know this to be a common problem. I have even had it happen twice on my mk2, but it was due to lots of short trips with Blowers/Stereo/Lights etc on & soon righted itself after I took the car a good run.

So whats the chances this GP is having the same problem. Or is it likely to be a more serious fault.
Is it worth the punt

I've just seen the car your talking about on Autotrader at CCS right? they are asking way too much for that, it doesn't even have decent MOT on it so all sorts could be wrong with no come back to the garage as it's a trade sale.

if you look on autotrader for about 300 or 400 more you can get a 07 or 08 1.3 with less than 30k granted they are CAT D repaired but come with warranty, 12 months MOT and service history. as long as they have been repaired properly you'll have no problem at all.

Back