Technical 2009 GP 1.4 v8 - problem with indicator stalk

Currently reading:
Technical 2009 GP 1.4 v8 - problem with indicator stalk

Mobi11

Hi everyone,

My Grande Punto developed an issue lately with indicators.
Left one works just fine but when I turn right one it will work for like 2-3 blinks and then stop.
Pulling the lever a tiny bit more up and it will start working again.

Previous owner mention that he has replaced indicator stalk so if he really did that then this stalk worked properly less then a year.

Before I will start spending money for new stalk unit I rather ask for an advice.

Is there anything beside getting new stalk to be ruled out first??

Thanks for any advice

Hi everyone,

My Grande Punto developed an issue lately with indicators.
Left one works just fine but when I turn right one it will work for like 2-3 blinks and then stop.
Pulling the lever a tiny bit more up and it will start working again.

Previous owner mention that he has replaced indicator stalk so if he really did that then this stalk worked properly less then a year.

Before I will start spending money for new stalk unit I rather ask for an advice.

Is there anything beside getting new stalk to be ruled out first??

Thanks for any advice
I can't offer a solution but my 2008 T-Jet is developing a similar issue. Doing a quick search it looks like people are having to replace the entire stalk assembly which isn't cheap (and tricky to track-down for my cruise-control fitted car). I'd much rather just fix the indicator issue as it must just be a switch on that particular stalk that is worn-out. Has anyone fixed it without having to replace the whole unit?

I can't offer a solution but my 2008 T-Jet is developing a similar issue. Doing a quick search it looks like people are having to replace the entire stalk assembly which isn't cheap (and tricky to track-down for my cruise-control fitted car). I'd much rather just fix the indicator issue as it must just be a switch on that particular stalk that is worn-out. Has anyone fixed it without having to replace the whole unit?
Hi.

Most people seems to go straight for a replacement.

I decided to give a closer look on mine. So I removed stalk from steering column the other day.

It looked new-ish so previous owner might say true although stalk had no model/series or other markings on and most of all it looked shockingly cheap made. Not sure if all look like this or the one I have is some kind of cheap replacement.

Anyway I dismantled stalk itself and cleaned it inside with contact cleaner and I've put some fresh grease where it's slides.

That did a trick. Indicators were back.

So I guess it's worth doing that before you go for a new one.
It's a rather easy and straightforward job and doesn't require any special tools. All you need to remember is to disconnect battery before as you will need to remove air bag.

Attachments

• 20230129_135513.jpg
    20230129_135513.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 46
  • 20230129_135518.jpg
    20230129_135518.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 47
Back