Technical wont start!

Currently reading:
Technical wont start!

nick_punto

I changed the cambelt on my punto sporting 16v yeterday and everything seemed fine. She started and ran smoother than ever. ran for about 10 mins. than again for 10 mins an hour or two later and all seemed fine.

this morning i went to start her and the engine wont turn over, theres just a relay click from under the bonnet? At first i thought of the battery, tried to jump it but no different. I got the multimeter out and the battery reads 26v when car is off, goes down to 19 when key is in the first position, and then down to 6 when it is turned all the way. This tells me the starter is trying to start but all i get is a click?

I was going to try the old trick of hitting the starter with a hammer to release the bushes, but i dont know where the starter motor is?

if the starter motor is faulty would i be able to replace it with one thats on a 55s i have?

any help would be great!

cheers, Nick

my opinion the brushes went off :( if not that then elect. Carefull with that hammer thingy as your punto may fall appart ;)

well now the problem seems to have changed! the engine still wont start but when the key is in the first position all the lights on the dash flash, and there is a different clicking from the fusebox in the engine bay. when i turn the key to the start position nothing happens at all! no noise, nothing.

Hm can it be the ECU? If it is replacement is a bit expencive and from what i heard it can't be repeared (the old one)

yeah it could be. ive just jiggled all the wires under the bonnet and went to start it again. no clicking this time but the speedo jumped to 80 then when i turned it off went back to zero.

26volts?...........time to buy new multimeter Ithink!

3 possible answers....check the earth wire on top of gearbox,check connections are tight on back of starter(back of engine) or flat battery(fan belt OK/tight?)

Its not the ECU.

Back